Chainsaws

anyone use carbide tipped chains? Bought one for my stihl 361 and it seems to cut pretty dang slow. Got it from forester shop

anyone use carbide tipped chains? Bought one for my stihl 361 and it seems to cut pretty dang slow. Got it from forester shop
Never used one, but the Stihl RDR (Rapid Duro Rescue) chain has a different grind on them so they are more durable so firemen can cut through nails and steel stuff embedded in walls/roofs in houses, but it makes them slower in wood. A typical sharp edge profile would probably chip away pretty quickly when slapping into steel.

They also have the "Rapid Duro" line which should be better suited to wood, but I don't know anything about the geometry.

I have a forester carbide chain for my 462. You're right, it does cut a little slower but it stayed sharper a lot longer than a regular chain. But I've hit several rocks with it now, and the chain jumped off once and broke a couple teeth off. So now it's super dull and won't cut much of anything. And I don't really wanna spend the $100 on the carbine grinding wheel to sharpen it. So I haven't used it in a while.

Ok so update. I've dropped 3 more pines which basically paid for my saw. Woo Hoo! Now I like my Husqi but she does not have the balls of the big ole Stihl. Looking for something for small stuff. Stumbled across a few near me on FBMP:

All same seller. Thoughts?

Ok so update. I've dropped 3 more pines which basically paid for my saw. Woo Hoo! Now I like my Husqi but she does not have the balls of the big ole Stihl. Looking for something for small stuff. Stumbled across a few near me on FBMP:

All same seller. Thoughts?
Don't even think about the 170. They are better than a hand saw, but you will be disappointed. Also, don't judge a saw by the name. Husky makes saws that can run with your MS460. With that said, if you like the feel of the 460, look for an older Stihl 028 Super. If the vibration of the 460 gets to you, find an MS261. I've owned both and like both for different reasons. The 261 is smoother, lighter, and uses less fuel, but doesn't have the solid feel of the old saws. The 028 is a late 80's/early 90's design that can be had cheap and will run forever, just like the 046/MS460. You can pick up an MS261 for around $400 used or just under $600 new, and you should be able to find 028's for about $200-250 used.

About to get a tree dropped in the yard and going to need to saw them up for wood (and for a trials course for trials bikes).

What is a good saw that isn't stupid expensive? It won't be for heavy use at all just. Rather not buy used since dealing with people on marketplace sucks. Ideally trying to spend ~300 if possible.

Don't even think about the 170. They are better than a hand saw, but you will be disappointed. Also, don't judge a saw by the name. Husky makes saws that can run with your MS460. With that said, if you like the feel of the 460, look for an older Stihl 028 Super. If the vibration of the 460 gets to you, find an MS261. I've owned both and like both for different reasons. The 261 is smoother, lighter, and uses less fuel, but doesn't have the solid feel of the old saws. The 028 is a late 80's/early 90's design that can be had cheap and will run forever, just like the 046/MS460. You can pick up an MS261 for around $400 used or just under $600 new, and you should be able to find 028's for about $200-250 used.
I mainly wnat something smaller and lighter so I can keep the 32' bar on my hoss and cut and limb with a lighter smaller saw. Was considering the MS250 that I posted.

Love my MS261C.

Came with the 20" bar and I bought a 16" bar to go with it. Sips gas, has balls. I use the 20" bar for felling the trees, the 16" for bucking and limbing.

I mainly wnat something smaller and lighter so I can keep the 32' bar on my hoss and cut and limb with a lighter smaller saw. Was considering the MS250 that I posted.
The even numbered saws are "pro" saws and will last longer and have more power than the odd numbered saws.

Even ones being:
026/260/261
028/280
etc

Odd being:
MS170
MS250
MS290/291
MS310
etc

For the newer saws, its the middle digit. You truly get what you pay for in this realm. An MS261 will run circles around an MS290 and still be lighter. Search MS261 vs MS291 and read for hours if you'd like.

About to get a tree dropped in the yard and going to need to saw them up for wood (and for a trials course for trials bikes).

What is a good saw that isn't stupid expensive? It won't be for heavy use at all just. Rather not buy used since dealing with people on marketplace sucks. Ideally trying to spend ~300 if possible.
Just borrow my 261

The even numbered saws are "pro" saws and will last longer and have more power than the odd numbered saws.

Even ones being:
026/260/261
028/280
etc

Odd being:
MS170
MS250
MS290/291
MS310
etc

For the newer saws, its the middle digit. You truly get what you pay for in this realm. An MS261 will run circles around an MS290 and still be lighter. Search MS261 vs MS291 and read for hours if you'd like.
Ok this is the info I was trying to understand. I figured there was a difference when I read the MS250 was a homeowner saw. Ok so I need to look for a 026/260/261 I think.

Another option, IF you have a big 18v battery already, is the Milwaukee M18 chainsaw. I absolutely love mine.

Just borrow my 261
This might take a while. The one where we park the rv has to come down. (Not taking this one down myself obviously)

Attachments

• 77ABFDDF-915F-4E6E-A1D8-FD2BCDD89738.jpeg
    77ABFDDF-915F-4E6E-A1D8-FD2BCDD89738.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
This might take a while. The one where we park the rv has to come down. (Not taking this one down myself obviously)
Move RV put a line on it cut it down. Or is the tree taller than the RV long?

Move RV put a line on it cut it down. Or is the tree taller than the RV long?
Way taller than the rv is. If it was only that big i would take it down myself. It’s probably 100 foot and a split trunk. Tall enough to hit my house or garage if it came down. Or my neighbors fence.

Attachments

• B21F2ADF-D213-4EBA-9AF5-4426F24BA5C3.jpeg
    B21F2ADF-D213-4EBA-9AF5-4426F24BA5C3.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 96
Then buy your own. When I got the 261, I wanted a Husky. I liked it more, but it was expensive. It seems like the shops around here are geared toward Stihl and push it more. Either will probably be fine. One place tried to talk me into a Dolmar, but it seemed both heavier and less sturdy than the Husky or Stihl.

Then buy your own. When I got the 261, I wanted a Husky. I liked it more, but it was expensive. It seems like the shops around here are geared toward Stihl and push it more. Either will probably be fine. One place tried to talk me into a Dolmar, but it seemed both heavier and less sturdy than the Husky or Stihl.
Dolmar makes a really good saw too. But Dolmar and Husqvarna use 13mm bar nuts, and Stihl uses 19mm, and I don't wanna have to carry 2 screnches, so I just keep buying Stihls (yes, I know they make screnches with both :laughing:).

They are like $1600 new and $900-1300 used.

I got to demo one last year for a month or two and had to have one. Depending on how it’s equipped they are roughly the same as the 462 from what I gather. I had it on order since Early spring and finally got it in October. First one in the region he said. Mine was 1475$ out the door with full wrap and 28” light bar. It pulls a 32” like nothing even in hard wood. The fuel injection is crazy. Idle to 14000 instantly. The rep hinted at a 400i but I couldn’t get him to say when. In between 261 and 362 but 462 performance. I know I have a problem......

I'm hoping some of the chainsaw enthusiasts on NC4x4 might have some ideas for my chain saw running problem. I have an MS192T that acts like it isn't getting fuel.

Background: I bought the saw new in 2006. I have used the saw a lot for a home owner. I have run pump gas with ethanol for most of its life. It started having running problems about a year ago and I then switched to ethanol free to see if that would help, but it did not.

What I have done so far:
- New fuel filter
- Rebuilt the carburetor
- New spark plug
- New air filter

All of those things resulted in no change. It will start with full choke. It will not stay idling, but will idle for a few seconds or so. It will not take any throttle at all. It falls on its face if you give it throttle. I can hold the choke partially closed and get it to rev up just a little sometimes before it then falls on its face.

Back