Chainsaws

Battery looks the same visually to the greenworks, from what I can see. I have the 80v weedwacker from kobalt and love it.

Now that I have seen this, I might have to get one, I was debating the M18 one but I only have 5amp batteries
There are some good reviews out there comparing the different battery saw options. I'd go with whichever you have batteries for, and it sounds like you have both. If you have 2 5amp batteries you'd probably be fine with the Milwaukee one, but there will be times you will wish for more.

There are some good reviews out there comparing the different battery saw options. I'd go with whichever you have batteries for, and it sounds like you have both. If you have 2 5amp batteries you'd probably be fine with the Milwaukee one, but there will be times you will wish for more.

I have 3 5amp batteries for M18 stuff right now, that might help the choice, and I will probably buy more m18 stuff over time.

I bought a 10" Ryobi for limbing brush and to keep in the Jeep. Nice saw for what I bought it for. Runs roughly 40 minutes or so on a 4 AH battery but that's also not continuous time.

It will never replace my MS261C which I had out Sunday to work on a stump. That Ryobi probably wouldn't have made it through a quarter of that stump. Still love that Stihl MS261C. It's a beast (given that it's a 20" bar)
I like the 10" ryobi cause I can cut w one hand and hold/ toss the branch w the other hand while I'm on a ladder. The original chain sucks but I've had it for a few years and it still works fine. It's also good for cutting 2"/4" oak kindling.

Lots of good head to head battery saw stuff below. I was sold on the Milwaukee, but thinking I might save some money and get the Echo.

I was surprised by how poorly the Stihl battery saw did, and even more surprised by how well the DeWalt did.

Lots of good head to head battery saw stuff below. I was sold on the Milwaukee, but thinking I might save some money and get the Echo.

I was surprised by how poorly the Stihl battery saw did, and even more surprised by how well the DeWalt did.

Good vids. I haven't used any of the other battery saws, but I think the numbers don't tell the whole story with the Milwaukee. The chain speed is slower, but it doesn't slow down hardly any at all in the cut. Also, mine seemed to get more powerful after a few hours of use. That may be true with the others too, but it was a noticeable difference on mine. Maybe it was just changing technique to accommodate torque instead of chainspeed. I dunno. I must admit, as much as I hate Dewalt, that was an impressive showing.

I think I have decided if I grab a battery saw it will be the same brand as the hedge trimmer that my wife picks out (no way will she fight with a pull start). She won't fight a pull start, and I don't want her having direct access to my Milwaukee batteries!

@jeepinmatt what are your thoughts on the MS400CM? Jumping between a 26x, 36x and the 400....our new property is 10 acres and all wooded.

Last edited:
I think I have decided if I grab a battery saw it will be the same brand as the hedge trimmer that my wife picks out (no way will she fight with a pull start).

@jeepinmatt what are your thoughts on the MS400CM? Jumping between a 26x, 36x and the 400....our new property is 10 acres and all wooded.
I didn't know it existed until right now. :D

Looks like a really good size do-all saw. A 261 will do everything you need, a 362 will do it easier, and that 400 will never leave you wanting for more. I wouldn't be afraid of the magnesium piston. Stihl has their act together and isn't sending out product for field development. M-tronic is good so long as your fuel and mix ratios are consistent. Only time I had an issue with my 661 M-tronic was when I switch oil brands and had to do a recalibration for it to run right. I'd really like to get my hands on the new 500i, but not for the price they are bringing. With all that said, if I were in your shoes, I'd try to find a good used 261 for everyday use on FB/CL, and keep my eyes open for a 460/461/462 cheap for big saw duties (and when you need one to cut the other loose ;))

I'm really enjoying my new husky 550xp. It has been handling all my medium duty work where the 462 isn't needed. My uncle has a 261 and he's used it along with my 550xp and he claims the husky has a little more torque and a little smoother when cutting. But I can tell by picking up both that the 261 is a little lighter. Both with 20" bars.

I like the 10" ryobi cause I can cut w one hand and hold/ toss the branch w the other hand
That is what I really like about my MS192t. Maybe I just need to buy one of those Ryobi saws. I've already got a Ryobi drill and nut driver. I think the same batteries will work in the saw.

That is what I really like about my MS192t. Maybe I just need to buy one of those Ryobi saws. I've already got a Ryobi drill and nut driver. I think the same batteries will work in the saw.
I've had Ryobi tools for for about 10 yrs.. I bought a 18v kit w a drill,impact,circle saw, sawsall and a flashlight w 2 lithium batteries for about $130 on sale if I remember . I got a blower w the 4Ah battery with a gauge and new charger on sale and the chainsaw w a smaller lithium battery w a guage on sale about 4 years ago. They are all good tools for the price. The 18v 4Ah battery wakes up all of the tools. I have 5 batteries and 3 chargers so I have power all day.
If you get one on sale do it. The only thing I don't like about mine is the oil pump, manual w a bulb you push w your thumb on the oil cap. It will leak and make a mess even if I pour the oil back into the jug so I put it on a bucket to let the oil still in it leak out.

Last edited:
I just bought a new 261 today and had them put the 20” bar on it. I thought I’d get the 362 but my aged shoulders gave the lighter saw the nod.
Once you get used to it, send it off a for a good port job and feel like you have a whole new saw. 👍

@jeepinmatt. Who do you get to do port work on your saws? I kinda want to get some work done on my little echo top handle saw.
I just read up on Arboristsite.com and opeforum.com, not loyal to anyone. Huskihl up in Michigan did the 660 I had, and my current 661 is a Treemonkey job. Earlier this year I put some clues together and realized @termitebuffet here on NC4X4 is actually Zoo City Saws in chainsaw land, so ill definitely be hitting him up on the next one. And he's right down the road from you in Asheboro.

I just read up on Arboristsite.com and opeforum.com, not loyal to anyone. Huskihl up in Michigan did the 660 I had, and my current 661 is a Treemonkey job. Earlier this year I put some clues together and realized @termitebuffet here on NC4X4 is actually Zoo City Saws in chainsaw land, so ill definitely be hitting him up on the next one. And he's right down the road from you in Asheboro.
What does the average job cost? I've got a 066 that needs a little help. Just doesn't run with my 395xp.

I wish this guy did all product videos, He is quick, to the point, and doesn't ad-lib.

What does the average job cost? I've got a 066 that needs a little help. Just doesn't run with my 395xp.
Depends on the saw and level of work done, but figure $500ish. I think my 660 was $550 total shipped to MI and back. Not sure if Covidflation has effected those numbers.

I bought the 'tool only' saw from Greenworks. $181 to my door. I cut another pine tree down yesterday afternoon. I'm impressed so far. It is light enough that I can one hand it for some branch work even though it isn't a 'top handle' saw. It is nice to not have to 'start it' just to make a quick cut when loading branches in the bed of my truck.

PXL_20211203_210219061.MP.jpg

The battery is huge. This is the 2.5Ah battery that came with the hedge trimmers my wife bought. They make a 5Ah battery , but it is $300!

PXL_20211113_234429763.jpg

Last edited:
Did some saw work for a friend who is clearing 3 acres today. That's a 36" bar.
20211204_122505.jpg

Everybody needs a ported MS661.

Did some saw work for a friend who is clearing 3 acres today. That's a 36" bar.
View attachment 362684
Everybody needs a ported MS661.
Edit: nvm read 3 posts up
Lol

Where'd you send yours off to get ported? I just picked up one last week then started reading on the forums and got waayyyy too far into the rabbit hole.

45598.jpeg

should take the leg clean off this time 👌🏼

Last edited:
I bought the 'tool only' saw from Greenworks. $181 to my door. I cut another pine tree down yesterday afternoon. I'm impressed so far. It is light enough that I can one hand it for some branch work even though it isn't a 'top handle' saw. It is nice to not have to 'start it' just to make a quick cut when loading branches in the bed of my truck.

View attachment 362660

The battery is huge. This is the 2.5Ah battery that came with the hedge trimmers my wife bought. They make a 5Ah battery , but it is $300!

View attachment 362661
Where did you find it for that price? That’s the same battery as the kobalt weedwacker I think

Edit: nvm read 3 posts up
Lol

Where'd you send yours off to get ported? I just picked up one last week then started reading on the forums and got waayyyy too far into the rabbit hole.

View attachment 362686

should take the leg clean off this time 👌🏼
The 660 was done by Huskihl. I didn't own it long enough to break it in well (total rebuild due to seized piston), but wasn't blown away by it. Was strong but not super torquey and not a screamer on the top either. But again, it probably only had an hour or two on it when I sold it. The 661 I have now is a Treemonkey job. I messaged with a guy who had both a Treemonkey and Mastermind version, and he wouldn't say which he thought was "better" but he did say he still had 2 Treemonkey saws and had sold his others ;) No idea on cost, as I bought it already ported, so it cost me basically nothing. :D

I dunno 'bout all this electric chain saw chatter. I pulled my 17 year old ms260 outta the barn last night to trim up this year's Christmas tree. A couple yanks and buzzed to life. Other than a fuel line, air filters and plugs I've done nothing ,but use this thing. Put it up for months at a time with ethanol funk in it and all. Always fires up. I'm quite satisfied burning dinosaurs sawing faster with endless chip throwing than I could if I had to go get a half charged battery off the charger. Old school two stroke for the win...

Well looks like my ms 251 was a victim of the flood. About 4 days after the flood I got all my saws and small motors and pulled the plugs drained tanks and squirted some atf in the cylinders at that time I was able to get everything to turn over. Now I’ve finally got time to get them going again and I got everything going and turning over (mini bike needs a carb job and oil change) but the saw is locked up tight. I’ve been trying to get it free for about a week and no luck.

What’s my options top end kit? Take it apart and beat the piston out of the cylinder?

Back