Chainsaws

If your 271 came w a green chain buy a stihl yellow chain and use it when you want to cut the shit out of some wood, it will put a smile on your face real quick
awww.arboristsite.com_community_styles_default_xenforo_chainsaw.gif
:D

Stihl all the way. All of my lawn equipment other than the mower is stihl. I have a few saws but always grab the ms290 " farm boss". I run a 20" bar and a full chisel stihl chain

I have a Husky 359 20" for big stuff. It has the wider .050/.375 chain (3/8). It is a beast.

I have a Echo CS3450 16" for smaller stuff. It has the narrow .050/.375 chain. Light and nimble. Don't forget Echo, they make great smaller saws.

I have a Husky 35 16" also for smaller stuff. It is a GREAT saw with a lot of power.

I have a Husky pole saw too. Can't remember the model.

Remember that chains on most 14-18 saws is the narrow "S" or 91 series chain which is narrower than the wider "D" series chain on 20" saws.
Both of these chains are .050 gauge and 3/8s(.375) pitch but are different in width and height.

Some small saws use .325 chain.

Always tune a saw to not simply rev it's highest with no load. You want it to "burble" and pull well under load which usually means a touch richer than highest free rev.
Lean is mean but fat is happy. Don't skimp on oil and use ethanol free fuel. Sharp chain is safer than dull and will make your life easier while making your saw last longer.

My father in law sells firewood and has over 20 Stihl and Husky saws up to 30". He is quite an authority on saws and I listen closely when he is talking about them.

Semi-chisel chain will last longer in hardwoods, full chisel is faster in softer wood.

Soaking a new chain in bar oil overnight when new will help it break in with minimal stretch.

I believe I just got a deal on this saw. Yea it's not the best but hear me out.

Got it from a guy in Winston today. He said it didn't run right, rough idle, and would cut off after 10-15 seconds. It came with the plastic carrying case. I paid him $10 and left with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After I checked the spark plug, made sure it turned over smoothly, and didn't make any grinding noises, I put a fresh gas mix in it (40:1).

She fired on the third pull and ran for 10 minutes solid at idle!!!. She runs great! And now she starts on the first pull! I've never had a saw to start o the first pull.

Now for a new chain.

I've had the same Poulon Pro in my trail rig for about 15 years never had any issues with it and I think I paid $25 for it. Normally it only gets started about once a year and by the 3rd pull it's up and running. I keep saying the first time it will not start it's trashed but keeps going. It has saved my ass more than once while Wheelin after storms when trees are downed blocking the trails.

I've had the same Poulon Pro in my trail rig for about 15 years never had any issues with it and I think I paid $25 for it. Normally it only gets started about once a year and by the 3rd pull it's up and running. I keep saying the first time it will not start it's trashed but keeps going. It has saved my ass more than once while Wheelin after storms when trees are downed blocking the trails.

That's great to hear. I don't use a saw much so I don't need an expensive one. I think I came out ahead on this deal

Bringing this back up. Need a new saw and remembered this thread.

Found a used ms261 for $220 is that a good deal? Any reason not to buy it?

That's not a bad price. Pull the spark plug and inspect the cylinder bore for galled walls or lack of cross-hatching. While the plug is out, pull the rope quickly to see if the crankshaft bearings are noisy or not. For a low-tech compression check, reinstall the plug, then "hang" the saw by the starter rope. If it falls easily, pass. If it seems to jerk or stop with each stroke, it's likely good. The "strato-charge" carbs can be finicky, but they're otherwise decent saws. I will still always pick up a MS250 or MS290 for all-purpose work.

Interesting, I was just thinking about another saw. I have had a number of stihls and like them.

Anyone used any of the new electric units? I know, saws should be 2stroke, but I've heard good things about the other 50-60v tools.

Interesting, I was just thinking about another saw. I have had a number of stihls and like them.

Anyone used any of the new electric units? I know, saws should be 2stroke, but I've heard good things about the other 50-60v tools.

The problem with electric saws is you're forever having to drag a cord around. If not, you're dealing with a limited lifespan of whatever batteries you use. That also leads to another problem, what will you do if the batteries aren't produced any longer? Also, electric saws are only good with power. If you need it when the power is out, you'll be needing a generator as well.

Battery powered saw. What do you do when a battery dies mid cut?

Battery powered saw. What do you do when a battery dies mid cut?
Same thing you do when a guess powered saw dies mid cut. Assess the situation and then refuel your energy source.

Last edited:
Same thing you do when a guess powered was died mid cut. Assess the situation and then refuel your energy source.

The batteries last for twelve minutes and take two hours to recharge.

Fuck a whole lot of buying electric yard tools. I was reading some reviews of blowers over the weekend, and the author was pushing plug-ins and rechargeables because you didn't have to mess with yucky gasoline and electric was "better for the environment". I mean... fuck, that's barely literate. I don't know how the author manages to keep himself fed and clothed with such a piss poor understanding of the workings of the world.

Poulan are a piece of shit I am store manager for lowes trust me all plastic. Buy Sthil or husqvarna . I have a old school still from 80s a old man I used to mow for gave me and fires up on the second pull each time. U get what u pay for poulan is shit don't buy.

Have a battery power Sthil on my work truck and is great when I need to cut shit off of our phone cables but that's it. Has pretty good battery life for cutting 1-8" limbs but not worth a shit for what most people need a saw for. We use battery power because our safety dick will not allow gas on our trucks.

Any husky or stihl or echo sold at a big box store is junk too. Get one at a servicing dealer and make sure it's not a model sold at the big box store. Or just talk to the guy in the shop in the back that works on them as to which to get. Expect to spend a little more, but in the end the extra quality is worth it. Some Poulan saws use plastic in the cylinder as part of the walls to form the transfer ports. (Can post a pic if it's not buried at the bottom of the pile of scrap).. Poulan even admits the design limits lifetime to about 35 hours. (Oh be careful with warranties too.. bucking your firewood for winter can be considered commercial application)

Any husky or stihl or echo sold at a big box store is junk too. Get one at a servicing dealer and make sure it's not a model sold at the big box store. Or just talk to the guy in the shop in the back that works on them as to which to get. Expect to spend a little more, but in the end the extra quality is worth it. Some Poulan saws use plastic in the cylinder as part of the walls to form the transfer ports. (Can post a pic if it's not buried at the bottom of the pile of scrap).. Poulan even admits the design limits lifetime to about 35 hours. (Oh be careful with warranties too.. bucking your firewood for winter can be considered commercial application)

The Echo you get at a big box store is the same model available from a servicing dealer. I am that guy in the shop, which is why I push Stihl, which aren't sold in big box stores. Oh, and I work for an Echo dealer. Haha!

go to any pawn shop and buy a Stihl

No fawking way I would own any battery powered lawn tools/equipment. 2 smoker for life here.

go to any pawn shop and buy a Stihl

I have to disagree with this as my dad has had his shop broken into several times and each time they stole his chainsaws (left the cases behind so it took some time to notice they were gone) and each time he found his saws at a pawn shop.

I have to disagree with this as my dad has had his shop broken into several times and each time they stole his chainsaws (left the cases behind so it took some time to notice they were gone) and each time he found his saws at a pawn shop.

So what you're saying is that the saws at the pawn shops should be reliable and in good working order. Duly noted.

Back