Chainsaws

The batteries last for twelve minutes and take two hours to recharge.

Fuck a whole lot of buying electric yard tools. I was reading some reviews of blowers over the weekend, and the author was pushing plug-ins and rechargeables because you didn't have to mess with yucky gasoline and electric was "better for the environment". I mean... fuck, that's barely literate. I don't know how the author manages to keep himself fed and clothed with such a piss poor understanding of the workings of the world.
I agree, just pointing out the senseless concern of the battery dying mid cut. Its faster to swap a battery, and you don't have to worry about if your fuel caps are facing up if the chain is hung up. And batteries don't have ethanol in them, so the saw will start on the first pull!

I've never had a saw run out of gas without starting to slow down slightly first giving me a warning.

The problem with electric saws is you're forever having to drag a cord around. If not, you're dealing with a limited lifespan of whatever batteries you use. That also leads to another problem, what will you do if the batteries aren't produced any longer? Also, electric saws are only good with power. If you need it when the power is out, you'll be needing a generator as well.

Battery powered saw. What do you do when a battery dies mid cut?

The batteries last for twelve minutes and take two hours to recharge.

Fuck a whole lot of buying electric yard tools. I was reading some reviews of blowers over the weekend, and the author was pushing plug-ins and rechargeables because you didn't have to mess with yucky gasoline and electric was "better for the environment". I mean... fuck, that's barely literate. I don't know how the author manages to keep himself fed and clothed with such a piss poor understanding of the workings of the world.

No fawking way I would own any battery powered lawn tools/equipment. 2 smoker for life here.

I figured this would be the response. I agree that gas is the way to go, just figured I would throw it out there. I have been thinking of getting a bigger saw (`20-22"), so elec wont cut it anyway.

My BIL had a 36v battery powered trimmer and push mower for his 0.15ac yard. They seemed to work fine, and i can see the draw if you live in suburbia and dont have anything else that requires gas.

Im not sold on all the 40V+ elec tools yet. They may be awesome, but id rather have a cord vs $150 batteries.

Battery powered saw. What do you do when a battery dies mid cut?

Put a couple rounds in it, reload and go get a real chainsaw or admit defeat and go iron your skinny jeans and watch some Dr Phil.

I've never ran out of fuel mid cut if it was a felling cut.. before felling, they always got a quick touch up with the file and fuel/oil filled. Really not good to run out of fuel in the middle of a back cut. Oh wait, that's commonly uncommon sense. :shaking: ok so I don't keep up with late model saws.. my newest saw is a '93 MSC Mac Titan 620 (61cc) which I will race against whatever you got up to 80 cc. Mac Titan series are some bad ass saws. Unfortunately they couldn't compete with mass produced cheaper saws because of price, not performance. I love my homey super xl12 too but lack of antivibe bothers me.

Stihl all the way. All of my lawn equipment other than the mower is stihl. I have a few saws but always grab the ms290 " farm boss". I run a 20" bar and a full chisel stihl chain
Just got done running my farm boss ms290 this morning to cut two dead 24" trees down before the wind blew them on the power line. I use that saw for everything felling trees, limbing, cutting firewood I had a smaller 16" craftsman that never would run right so I recently left it in a ditch full of water. Its hard to beat that 290 for farm and homeowner use I will more than likely buy another to match it instead of buying a smaller saw.

If you buy another, find an MS261 or MS362 off craigslist. You'll enjoy more power and less weight.

Last edited:
haven't looked at new saws yet does the power of the 261 or 262 compare with the 290?
MS261 weighs 10.8lbs and makes 4.0hp
MS290 weighs 13.0lbs and makes 3.8hp
MS362 weighs 12.4lbs and makes 4.7hp

Weights do not include bar, but the Pro series saws are generally lighter and stronger (and more expensive). But they last forever, so get a used one in decent shape off craigslist. My 046 (MS460/461 equivalent) is over 20 years old and still cranks and runs with a new one.

Last edited:

Weights do not include bar, but the Pro series saws are generally lighter and stronger (and more expensive). But they last forever, so get a used one in decent shape off craigslist. My 046 (MS460/461 equivalent) is over 20 years old and still cranks and runs with a new one.
cool that's good info, thanks.

started looking on craigslist today I can find some 361 and 362s but I can't find any 261s. Is there a reason for that? also is there another way to tell what model the saw is just incase someone has swapped the stickers to get more money for a bigger saw that it actually isn't.

Might partially be because of the hurricane. Other reasons are the 261 has only been available ~3 years, and there aren't as many out there because of the higher purchase price.

Might partially be because of the hurricane. Other reasons are the 261 has only been available ~3 years, and there aren't as many out there because of the higher purchase price.
Ok that makes sense didn't realize they were a relatively new saw.

They are about $600 New, so you could go that route. Should be able to find a nice one on CL for $4-500, or this not as pretty one for $220 stihl ms261 professional saw

Don't hold your breath. I called and left a message and got no reply. My wife called and left a message and got no reply as well.

My neighbor is selling a Stihl 064 with a new bar and chain, just wondering what a good price to pay for it would be? If it's even worth getting

My neighbor is selling a Stihl 064 with a new bar and chain, just wondering what a good price to pay for it would be? If it's even worth getting
I'd guess somewhere in the $4-600 range depending on condition and bar length(s). Thats a nice big older saw. Bit heavy if you don't need the power though. Even my 046 gets tiring after a while.

Heres a good thread on them:
Stihl 064 ... highest power to weight of any big saw?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! It has a 26" bar and I'd rather go bigger than smaller and have something slightly older but no emissions bs.

Thanks for the link! It has a 26" bar and I'd rather go bigger than smaller and have something slightly older but no emissions bs.
Probably a 25" bar. Stihl makes 20", 25", and 30" I think. I love that generation of saws.

WTF do you need a bar that big? I felled and bucked a 24" water oak this afternoon with a 2hp Husky and a 14" bar.

WTF do you need a bar that big? I felled and bucked a 24" water oak this afternoon with a 2hp Husky and a 14" bar.
My dad always told me "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough." :p

Back