Chasing a dream

What about your kids needing to make friends, have structure, participating in sports, learning social skills for when they are 13+?

I’d imagine that would be no different than any other home school environment…and they’ll be making new friends every day this way. As for structure, I guess that depends on how you define it…schedule structure? Structured behavior? Or structure going to the same mailbox every day?

What about your kids needing to make friends, have structure, participating in sports, learning social skills for when they are 13+?

Half the kids these days only get social skills from online crap anyways these days.
I'll venture to say they will be better off this way, seeing the world and exploring.

I would have loved for this to be my life as a kid. We almost moved to switzerland when I was a Sr in HS but my dad didn't want to disrupt my last year in HS, but I was all for it. Kids are very adaptable, people don't give them enough credit.

Half the kids these days only get social skills from online crap anyways these days.
I'll venture to say they will be better off this way, seeing the world and exploring.

I would have loved for this to be my life as a kid. We almost moved to switzerland when I was a Sr in HS but my dad didn't want to disrupt my last year in HS, but I was all for it. Kids are very adaptable, people coddle them too much.
FIFY. JMHO!

My daughter is an excellent soccer player and basket ball player. She has always stood out among the teams and been one of the top players. So we take a year or so off from sports, what’s the big deal?

People put too much into kids sports these days. I’m all for sports and I think it builds character, teamwork, honor, pride and more but it’s not the most important things to us.
I didn’t really play much sports growing up, does that make me a crappy person?
I have friends and know people that have missed out on family events, wheeling trips, camping trips and family vacations cause sports rule their lives. I don’t agree with that, there’s a time and a place but I wanna make memories and take in the things around me. My kids would prefer a hiking/wheeling trip or check out a national park or something and that’s not a bad thing.

As for socializing, my kids can make friends literally in minutes. If you met my daughter you’d know she can carry a pretty adult conversation with anyone and has never met a stranger. What better experience than getting to see lots of amazing places and meet people all over the place?

Yup, this adventure will do more to develope your kids into adults that can contribute to the betterment of society far more so than the current state educational system. Strong family bonds are also something that is dissolving these days, and forming a strong identity in who you and your family are at that age is a priceless gift.

I'm also supporting this adventure wagon mission because of all the awesome wheeling places you'll tell us about. Heck just about every trail systems I've been to is because the misfits crew posted about it on this forum. Otherwise I wouldn't have even heard of these places.

Carry on and post often. 👍

I would have loved for this to be my life as a kid. We almost moved to switzerland when I was a Sr in HS but my dad didn't want to disrupt my last year in HS, but I was all for it. Kids are very adaptable, people don't give them enough credit.
Kids sucking and not being able to function in real society these days is a parents thing. Traveling or not.

Kids sucking and not being able to function in real society these days is a parents thing. Traveling or not.
There's your answer.

My daughter is an excellent soccer player and basket ball player. She has always stood out among the teams and been one of the top players. So we take a year or so off from sports, what’s the big deal?

People put too much into kids sports these days. I’m all for sports and I think it builds character, teamwork, honor, pride and more but it’s not the most important things to us.
I didn’t really play much sports growing up, does that make me a crappy person?
I have friends and know people that have missed out on family events, wheeling trips, camping trips and family vacations cause sports rule their lives. I don’t agree with that, there’s a time and a place but I wanna make memories and take in the things around me. My kids would prefer a hiking/wheeling trip or check out a national park or something and that’s not a bad thing.

As for socializing, my kids can make friends literally in minutes. If you met my daughter you’d know she can carry a pretty adult conversation with anyone and has never met a stranger. What better experience than getting to see lots of amazing places and meet people all over the place?
1- This isn't a 'Don't do it ' post. I think it is awesome and great.
2- This is just some different perspective. 'What's the big deal?' You asked. As a kid you only have X years to play sports. Typically age 6-18. So say 12 years. Give one of those away and and you are sacrificing 10% of their life opportunity. - For me - I just think this is a conversation you should have with you kid. (and I'm assuming YOU have knowing you a very little bit) What does she value?
3- 'I didnt play much sports, does that make me a crappy person?' - No - certainly not. But also dont allow your lack of participation to marginalize how much SHE MAY value it.

The missing wheeling/events thing I totally get. However I would counter with teaching a child responsibility, team contribution and commitment and obligations. If you say I do it is forever. If you buy that pup you raise it. Same incremental lesson IN MY HOUSE. If you chose to play, you chose to sacrifice these other fun things. Otherwise by you not being there you punish your other team mates.

1- This isn't a 'Don't do it ' post. I think it is awesome and great.
2- This is just some different perspective. 'What's the big deal?' You asked. As a kid you only have X years to play sports. Typically age 6-18. So say 12 years. Give one of those away and and you are sacrificing 10% of their life opportunity. - For me - I just think this is a conversation you should have with you kid. (and I'm assuming YOU have knowing you a very little bit) What does she value?
3- 'I didnt play much sports, does that make me a crappy person?' - No - certainly not. But also dont allow your lack of participation to marginalize how much SHE MAY value it.

The missing wheeling/events thing I totally get. However I would counter with teaching a child responsibility, team contribution and commitment and obligations. If you say I do it is forever. If you buy that pup you raise it. Same incremental lesson IN MY HOUSE. If you chose to play, you chose to sacrifice these other fun things. Otherwise by you not being there you punish your other team mates.

You are correct, and all of what you mentioned has been discussed in many lengthy conversations. My daughters input was weighed heavily and she was given the choice if she wanted to do this or not and she chose the traveling, which is only temporary (we think at this point)

I’m just happy I have kids that aren’t glued to a phone/tablet/video game 24/7 and love to get outside, both for sports and other activities.

Many folks here have met my kids. We feel we have very well rounded kids that are very socialized and outgoing and respectful. Keep in mind we only started the home school thing last school year, so they’ve been in school before and we are not some weirdos that keep our kids sheltered from everything lol. My daughter went to a 2 week writing camp at UNCG, and goes to weekly Co-Op with other home schooled kids, and there’s always a gang of kids running around on wheeling trips.

I appreciate the perspective and differing opinions, and don’t mean anything harsh by my replies. It’s hard to explain feelings/perspective in writing sometimes.

How much are you going to change your wheeling "style"? What are the plans for long term maintenance and the probable catastrophic failure of major components?

Is the new or next rig of a different build nature with the intent of destinations or a point shoot rig?

How much are you going to change your wheeling "style"? What are the plans for long term maintenance and the probable catastrophic failure of major components?

Is the new or next rig of a different build nature with the intent of destinations or a point shoot rig?

Very good questions. I’ve spent the last year of wheeling “growing up” so to speak, as in I’m just fine turning down an obstacle and going around, or pulling cable after a few tries. It keeps the right together and keeps everyone moving. I will certainly have to consider my situation and make wise choices.

As for those repairs and maintenance, I will be putting a lot of faith and hope on the off road community in hopes that I can post up on social media explaining my situation and hope that a fellow wheeler is willing to lend me some time and shop space for a day as needed.

For a major repair I’ll just have to figure it out. In theory that will work out well and I’ll meet amazing people and friendships that’ll last a lifetime. I have met the best people in the off road community.

As for the rig, it will be a point and shoot rig. The rig I’ve always dreamed of. Been eye balling an M&M 4 seater but it’s a bit more than I want to spend. I’m hoping I can find something comparable, or maybe something works out with the one I really want. I do realize that any rig with the best parts can and will fail (insert @Hoodw!nk) so I do need to be prepared.

Very good questions. I’ve spent the last year of wheeling “growing up” so to speak, as in I’m just fine turning down an obstacle and going around, or pulling cable after a few tries. It keeps the right together and keeps everyone moving. I will certainly have to consider my situation and make wise choices.

As for those repairs and maintenance, I will be putting a lot of faith and hope on the off road community in hopes that I can post up on social media explaining my situation and hope that a fellow wheeler is willing to lend me some time and shop space for a day as needed.

For a major repair I’ll just have to figure it out. In theory that will work out well and I’ll meet amazing people and friendships that’ll last a lifetime. I have met the best people in the off road community.

As for the rig, it will be a point and shoot rig. The rig I’ve always dreamed of. Been eye balling an M&M 4 seater but it’s a bit more than I want to spend. I’m hoping I can find something comparable, or maybe something works out with the one I really want. I do realize that any rig with the best parts can and will fail (insert @Hoodw!nk) so I do need to be prepared.
The Mega hauler needs a few tool boxes stocked. You'll need some for what ever RV plus your rig. Get yourself a nice easy up and make a compartment for that as well. I enjoy your super positive approach. Putting that much faith in the wheeling community, (no lets say humanity of strangers in another state) scares the crap out of me. If your media presence gains traction you will have a leg up so to speak. In the long run if bad luck prevails and you can't repair it yourself, pay for repairs, or "make a friend" your screwed. Being a traveling mooch is not where I'd want to land either. Not poking holes just to prod, but I'd really consider a mild supper reliable rig over custom fabricated everything. At least the local parts house could get you moving. You mentioned a time period and less permanent nature. If it about experiences and destinations max out the longevity and the ability to go. Make a huge gallop across several states. Keep the rig bullet proof but budget friendly on repairs. Then you can maximize the experience and family through the living and not chasing obstacles and challenging the rig as much as possible.

The Mega hauler needs a few tool boxes stocked. You'll need some for what ever RV plus your rig. Get yourself a nice easy up and make a compartment for that as well. I enjoy your super positive approach. Putting that much faith in the wheeling community, (no lets say humanity of strangers in another state) scares the crap out of me. If your media presence gains traction you will have a leg up so to speak. In the long run if bad luck prevails and you can't repair it yourself, pay for repairs, or "make a friend" your screwed. Being a traveling mooch is not where I'd want to land either. Not poking holes just to prod, but I'd really consider a mild supper reliable rig over custom fabricated everything. At least the local parts house could get you moving. You mentioned a time period and less permanent nature. If it about experiences and destinations max out the longevity and the ability to go. Make a huge gallop across several states. Keep the rig bullet proof but budget friendly on repairs. Then you can maximize the experience and family through the living and not chasing obstacles and challenging the rig as much as possible.

Wise advice and I appreciate it. I still want the full blown buggy though, as I intend to have it for many years even after returning to my home area. I do intend to wheel with the mentality that it has to last, while still doing some really epic stuff from time to time.

After I return from Utah, my focus is going to be on the Mega Hauler. It’s getting 2 underbody boxes and one on the bed, an upgraded fan clutch, the exhaust brake upgraded, a tow tune and much more. I will also be getting spare parts like common sensors, boost hoses/clamps, a huge bottle jack and impact for changing tires and such. I look forward to organizing and outfitting the truck.

Last edited:
Well I have 5 weeks to be out of this house, and have no idea where I’m going cause I can’t go to the campground till 11/1 and close on this house 10/21
Also don’t even have the new camper yet. It’s fine. Everything is fine. We may go to the beach for a little bit.

I was supposed to go to The Ranch/Ivy Branch next week but not getting the camper and closing on the house has meant I need to stay home and adult instead.

Well I have 5 weeks to be out of this house, and have no idea where I’m going cause I can’t go to the campground till 11/1 and close on this house 10/21
Also don’t even have the new camper yet. It’s fine. Everything is fine. We may go to the beach for a little bit.

I was supposed to go to The Ranch/Ivy Branch next week but not getting the camper and closing on the house has meant I need to stay home and adult instead.
Maybe you should book a Uwharrie NC4X4 get together for that whole week :flipoff2:

I've got some spare bedrooms if yall head this way.

I've got some spare bedrooms if yall head this way.

Thanks. Looks like we are gonna head to Holden Beach with the camper for a week. Then we will coke back to this area and driveway surf with someone for a bit.

I'm sure your problems will be helped by buying an old Xj for the 3rd time.

I'm sure your problems will be helped by buying an old Xj for the 3rd time.

Lol yeah that knee jerk reaction didn’t work out so it’s back for sale again. I planned on selling it right after taking it to Ivy Branch but that didn’t work out. @Van-go is trying his best not to buy it right back :laughing:

Back