Chasing a dream

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
So around the beginning of this year me and the family went to The Ranch like we have many times. But this time we just didn’t wanna come home, we had the dog with us and missed absolutely nothing about being home. We had rented a cabin since they called for snow and our crawler hauler setup was so small and my wife had to work. Having the whole family and plenty of room was very nice.
So we rode home from that trip talking about how to have a better setup for the family and still be able to take the rig, and just be able to go more often. That lead is to this

With the overall plan being haul the rig and camper with this

We’ve taken a few trips in the whole setup and love it.
The plan was to get the house in the shape to rent it out on AirBnB and for furniture market. So months ago we began de-cluttering the house and working towards this goal.

I had made the comment a few times over the last several months “we should just sell it all and cash in on this market, buy a 4 seater buggy, work remote and travel full time wheeling somewhere new every month or so” which was really just wishful thinking from a day dream. It was mostly just a joke cause I knew my wife would never be down for this. But a few weeks ago all of that changed. My wife came to me and said she’d thought about it more and that we should just do it. It’s the perfect time. We can sell the house really high, bank the money and go on the road. Later on when we are tired of the wandering around we can settle back into this area be it buying land and building while in the camper or just buy another house but either way it will be THE house with some land and privacy.

So, after a few weeks of longggggg days and late nights, this happened.

So this is it, the beginning of our story. There’s still some unknown, I don’t even know what I will do for work honestly just yet. But it’s now or never. My kids are home schooled, we have been debt free since 2018, my wife works remote and the kids are excited about this. I have sold my rig already and am soon to be in the market for a turn key buggy, the one I’ve dreamed of. One I can buy and trust to go wheel anywhere in the country try right away.

We have purchased a newer camper with slides and more room. We have our route planned all the way thru March of next year, and I’m excited about the people we will meet, the memories we will make and the places we will see. Are we crazy? Yes! 100% but here goes nothing. We have a 6 year old Boxer and a 3 month old Lab now. My daughter 10, my boy is 6. This is bound to be a crazy adventure and I’ll do my best to keep you guys updated.

In September I am turning my notice in at work, with the exception being I will stay on with them if they will allow me to work remote in a more consultive/technical role for an agreed upon lower salary. If that doesn’t work out I will offer to work a long notice and train my replacement. I intend to leave on very good terms.

Last edited:
Awesome plan!! Do it while you and your kids are young. I don’t see how you can regret this, especially with the wife on board!! This will make memories for a life time for sure. I will be following all of your adventures for sure!!! Hope you home sells fast. My daughter’s new house is almost finished, so she put hers on the market last Friday and it sold this past Wednesday for over asking price to a cash buyer. The market is still hot. Congratulations on the new adventure!!

Wish I’d done this with a boat when I was young and single. Cruise the east coast and Caribbean islands. Best of luck!
It's never too late....an 85 year old friend of ours is fixing to do the length of the Mississippi next year in a home-made shanty boat.

There's nothing but "yes!" in this thread.

Awesome! Best of luck to yall and I look forward to keeping up with the story.

Are yall reducing to just the megahauler, or going to bring a 2nd/3rd car along too?

The plan is the MH will be our only vehicle. If we find this just does not work for us I will still have my car in storage that I could coke back for. The MH is not bad to drive around u less we want to go downtown somewhere, which we would just use Uber for. Driving 2 vehicles would kinda suck cause the family is not riding together as we move along, but we haven’t ruled it out.

The plan is the MH will be our only vehicle. If we find this just does not work for us I will still have my car in storage that I could coke back for. The MH is not bad to drive around u less we want to go downtown somewhere, which we would just use Uber for. Driving 2 vehicles would kinda suck cause the family is not riding together as we move along, but we haven’t ruled it out.
Yeah, My sister's family travels "fulltime" for the last 2 yrs. They have a JK and Class C. Currently she drives the Jeep while he drives the motorhome. They are planning to flat tow, but havent purchased all the pieces yet. They also have e-bikes to use around the campground or ride a short distance somewhere.

I say "fulltime" because they come back and crash in my parents basement apt for the summer, to avoid paying peak season rates. But most of their traveling has been between different beaches in the SE.

Just hit me…when you actually hit the road, you can say this with no shame now…

250C511C-D4C8-4AD7-954E-45179937EBBE.png

^^^^^
I see a future YouTube star in our midst.

If you are willing to put the time in, and subject yourself to the scrutiny of the masses, this might be a good 2nd income. It seems that people love to follow folks that hang it up and travel. I guess it has something to do with many of the comments here.

start filming now, you may not get much interest now. but as you build followers and people following along you can say you videoed it from the start and they will go back and watch the first videos.
Full agree film and post everything. Even if you don’t think you’ll get much traction. You probably won’t at the beginning but people like that sort of thing! Good luck with everything

Back