Cheapo Tow Rig project

Btw, I just remembered that when I unplug that sensor the compressor does cut off. So that should prove that the plug/harness works right?

My half ton is the same way...no clue what it is!

For whatever reason the compressor is not cycling at all. It turns off when the AC is off, but is on 100% of the time when running the AC. Guess if the lowboressure switch doesn’t fix it, I’m gonna have to get used to cutting it on and off manually and try to do it before it freezes.

Either that or run it wide open all the time so it doesn’t freeze. But man it will Run you out it’s so cold!

For whatever reason the compressor is not cycling at all. It turns off when the AC is off, but is on 100% of the time when running the AC. Guess if the lowboressure switch doesn’t fix it, I’m gonna have to get used to cutting it on and off manually and try to do it before it freezes.

Either that or run it wide open all the time so it doesn’t freeze. But man it will Run you out it’s so cold!
Just put in the window unit.

Not sure who has it worse, you or @adamk His always cycles on and off regardless of if it's turn on or not.

I'd probably still be inclined to check the orifice tube again....

FWIW, the compressor on my HD doesn't cycle either. It pulls down juuuust above the low pressure cutoff, but doesn't freeze up since the new orifice tube. I know you replaced it....stuff happens though.

I'd probably still be inclined to check the orifice tube again....

FWIW, the compressor on my HD doesn't cycle either. It pulls down juuuust above the low pressure cutoff, but doesn't freeze up since the new orifice tube. I know you replaced it....stuff happens though.
and.... If you replaced the compressor because it failed and didn't flush condenser/evaporator/lines... I'd suspect the orifice tube clogged, although isn't the pressure switch after the orifice tube? That should cause it to cycle.

Oh wait, you changed the condenser. That's better than flushing it.

Even when mine was clogged, it wouldn't cycle. It'd just freeze up after a while.

That was my thoughts since you mentioned it, but the los pressure sensor is downstream of the Orifice tube. I wanted to pull it while it was down but my buddy felt confident it was fine.

If the low pressure switch doesn’t fix it, the Orifice tube will be my next move. After that, all jut say screw it and call Matt to come take care of it...:kaioken:

I never asked, but what does all the under hood stuff look like when the evap core freezes? Do the lines freeze too? Is the drain working? I think there's still a couple of things we should check out before the system gets sucked down again.

I never asked, but what does all the under hood stuff look like when the evap core freezes? Do the lines freeze too? Is the drain working? I think there's still a couple of things we should check out before the system gets sucked down again.

Drains really good. Haven’t looked under the hood when it’s froze, but I did watch the accumulator and lines freeze the other day when we were messing with it. When I turn the fan up on High it thawed out immediately. I’m pretty sure it starts freezing at the accumulator and then works it’s way to the evap coil.

Low pressure switch should arrive Saturday, I’ll replace it and it will then get driven to Harlan so I’ll know then if it fixed it.

Well, I'm thinking it's gotta be the switch, low on freon, or the orifice tube.

AC problem solved, at least I’m 99% sure it is. I believe something was lost in translation when I described testing the switch. When I said I removed it and it did have continuity, I meant I literally removed the switch from the accumulator and it still had continuity, not just that I unplugged it and tested it.

I thought this was strange and that’s why I was asking. It didn’t make sense to me. So the new switch arrived and did not have continuity when not installed. New switch installed and the compressor cycles as it should with the air on low. I don’t expect anymore issues but I will know for sure Thursday when I head to Harlan!

AC problem solved, at least I’m 99% sure it is. I believe something was lost in translation when I described testing the switch. When I said I removed it and it did have continuity, I meant I literally removed the switch from the accumulator and it still had continuity, not just that I unplugged it and tested it.

I thought this was strange and that’s why I was asking. It didn’t make sense to me. So the new switch arrived and did not have continuity when not installed. New switch installed and the compressor cycles as it should with the air on low. I don’t expect anymore issues but I will know for sure Thursday when I head to Harlan!
Take the window unit as backup.

Yesterday I changed the oil. Oil pressure is back up. I went back with Penzoil High Mileage again since I was happy with it. It uses/leaks a quart between changes, that’s normal. Doing the changes at 5k.

I also had gotten an oil analyses kit from @Nakoma, it’s been dropped in the mail and I’m anxious for the results. Mostly just for curiosity. When I have the results I will update with those.

With the tow tune I added, it calls for 93 octane. Between that and fixing the O2 sensor I’m hoping to pick up a little better fuel mileage but not crossing my fingers.

Back