Cheapo Tow Rig project

@Croatan_Kid and @a_kelley is this what y’all are talking about?
Ordering parts today.

c7da02741dc199f3dd87886784716ae0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, but I said it wrong. It's a low side fitting. At any rate, it makes it where both high and low have a Schrader valve and are MUCH less likely to leak.

I knew I'd be right eventually :D

Yay for parts!

Props to @RockAuto for some fast shipping, and most of all, excellent packaging! They had the compressor and drier packaged in a box and into a larger box with padding around it, and a ton of padding within the smaller box to protect it all! I appreciate that. I didn’t open the condenser yet but the box is in good shape so I feel good about it.

Can anyone guess what I’ll be doing with my day off tomorrow?
E1B54D76-7009-4E49-9575-C575D8BE3D20.jpeg
D825AF06-183E-4C5A-B587-5C6ACD583E53.jpeg
7C07D3D0-E1F8-4926-BE52-A7AD2CC4BAD6.jpeg

Judging by the footwear, probably something gay.:flipoff2:

Guilty. Rocking socks with Crocs, Treadway approved!

My heels hurt me a lot these days, so I don’t walk around on our hard floors barefooted. Guess I’m getting old!

Guilty. Rocking socks with Crocs, Treadway approved!

My heels hurt me a lot these days, so I don’t walk around on our hard floors barefooted. Guess I’m getting old!
I'd guess you have plantar fasciitis, and you should get it taken care of now because it only gets worse.

I'd guess you have plantar fasciitis, and you should get it taken care of now because it only gets worse.

I’d sort of gathered that from @obullfish situation and @CasterTroy. Before a couple weeks ago I thought it was just normal achey feet from being on them a lot, but I’m not really on my feet much. It’s usually if I’ve been sitting and then get up, those first few steps really hurt. I guess I should look into it further.

I’d sort of gathered that from @obullfish situation and @CasterTroy. Before a couple weeks ago I thought it was just normal achey feet from being on them a lot, but I’m not really on my feet much. It’s usually if I’ve been sitting and then get up, those first few steps really hurt. I guess I should look into it further.

sounds like Plantar fasciitis... use a frozen water bottle under your arch, and roll it around on the floor to stretch out your foot.

Can anyone guess what I’ll be doing with my day off tomorrow?

A little bit of cussing, some sweating, and then enjoying some nice conditioned air :D

Well, I replaced everything today. Compressor, dryer, orfice tube, condenser, and upgraded to the schrader valve as suggested. The compressor was the hardest part, had to remove the heater core hoses to have room to pull it out and put the new one in.

Right off the bat I went to pull the orfice tube it broke in half. Since it faces the fire wall I’m working on it blind. I wound up having to remove the whole hard line and take it to my friends house to get it out. Other than that it was all straight forward and not too bad. I have not charged it back up yet, my friend has all the stuff and will help me soon. I replaced all the seals for everything I removed, and oiled them up before I put them on. It turns out, the connection where the orfice tube is at did not have an O-ring there at all, and had Freon dripping off before I loosened it at all. So that’s the culprit that let it leak down to the point it let the compressor go bad. I also believe it had been leaking for some time but they were just adding Freon with no oil. There was also a lot of goop in the orfice tube.
I didn’t take any pics because I stayed too busy and my hands stayed too dirty.

Last edited:
Gonna be cooooooooold up the truck on the way to Potts :D

Well I got the AC charged up today, it’s nice and cold! Doesn’t appear to have any leaks.

I also got a wild hair and decided to paint the tail gate.

Needed a little help with sanding...
60b611a849af2790c9b7f71f757fa2fd.jpg

b23fcc281256390103114736e278d3c2.jpg

Got it all sanded smooth, was really just worried about sanding the clear off. I bought some bright white from oriellys, they let me carry several cans out to my truck to see what matched the best. It’s still gonna stand out, but not nearly as bad as burgundy did!

290df8e5d2d0953df9ba95fe9e9c4263.jpg

Turns out 2 cans wasn’t enough. I need another can, maybe even 2 more. I can see the streaks in it, downside of spray paint. But hopefully another coat will hide it for the most part.
b7ebdcf92591806d848866110d992168.jpg

And I knew that @Croatan_Kid wouldn’t be my friend no more if I didn’t get a tail gate bezel, so just for him I also picked one up today for $9. I’ll throw another coat on and snap the bezel on tomorrow.
Can’t decide if I will reuse the emblems I took off, just go without them, or order newer body style one from Amazon. Decisions decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's just because the rest of the truck is grungy :D

The tailgate definitely needs some kinda decals back across it.

Yeah I think I’m gonna go with a a black “Chevrolet” sticker across the back, should help take the focus off the fact that it doesn’t match at all.

Yeah I think I’m gonna go with a a black “Chevrolet” sticker across the back, should help take the focus off the fact that it doesn’t match at all.
Lame. Put you a big Ford or Dodge sticker on there and confuse the heck out of people.

So I just came back from a 4 day trip to Potts Mountain with my whole family. We took the YJ, the camper, and lots of gear. No idea what the weight was but the truck handled it all great. I knew the camper would hurt my mileage but it was worse than I thought at 7.5mpg. I didn’t need fuel on the way back so I haven’t checked the return trip but I know it was a bit better coming back.
That is some sucky MPG, but at 5-7 trips a year I’m still ahead with no payments!

Having the camper is a game changer! My wife loved it, it made everything so much easier. We were even able to put my son down for a midday nap in the AC.

Back