Check your Auto Insurance Rates, folks.

Atla

Pew Pew! Vroom Vroom!
I've been with USAA for ten years, and finally got around to comparing rates. Sheesh. We've been getting ripped off. I get the feeling that by staying with a company, your rates become less and less competitive as you get passed by and get burdened with the constant annual increases.

Progressive was $744 less a year on Auto, but almost TWICE on home insurance. Which was kind of weird, so I kept USAA for home, and changed to Progressive for auto.

This was an entertaining conversation from when I cancelled the auto insurance today.

usaatoprogressive.png

Yeah I switched to farm bureau few years back and ours dropped over $165/month for two vehicles one full coverage, towing on both and road side on one! I couldn’t believe it!

Last edited:
My wife had usaa before we got married. Shopping around, they definetly were not the most competitive.

We now use State Farm for auto and BB&T and Nationwide for our various mortgages

I was with State Farm for over 25 years. They were always pretty decent. A couple of years ago they went up a bunch. I questioned them and they said because nobody in Charlotte can drive I have to pay for them crashing into each other. Contacted Liberty Mutual and they were 500 bucks cheaper for the exact same coverage. State Farm lady called me last month trying to get me to come back.

^^^ I’ve had the same thing with state farm with homeowners. Never ever had a claim, rate was the same, coverage and home value the same (value probably less than before the market crash), and they wanted to go up almost $800/yr on homeowners. I asked why and they said they take the $ and invest it but they had a bad year and needs to make up the $ lost, so everyone’s rates were going up.

I left them and went with BB&T homeowners and it was $400 less than pre-hike rate and has stayed constant the last 5 years.

After that issue with SF, I quit being loyal to them even after more than 20 years as a customer.

I've had NC Farm Bureau for about 10 years now. Last time I checked, which was only about 3 monts ago, no one locally could come close to beating their rates.

With GEICO, I pay $252 a month for the Yukon on Jeep. FC on both. I still feel like it's severely overpaying. I need to shop around.

I've had NC Farm Bureau for about 10 years now. Last time I checked, which was only about 3 monts ago, no one locally could come close to beating their rates.

We've had the same results from NCFB. I re-shop every 3 years. Nobody comes close. Everybody else was at least 1-2k higher per year for total package. (House, 8 vehicles, rv, and general liability policy.) Had a handful of claims (all vehicle from windshields to deer totals) and never had a problem.

Switching must be the key. I left Nationwide after 20 years last year to go to USAA. They were cheaper or the same as everyone I compared to at the time. From now on I'm checking annually.

Switching must be the key.
I was fawked by Progressive after ~10 years. I had a maybe 2 minor accidents, not my fault, no claims but police reports filed; I actually called progressive and gave them the heads up on the second one. Then I backed 1/2" too deep into a parking space and my hitch imprinted someone's bumper; they filed a claim and my rates doubled. I called GET MET because I got a piece of junkmail from them same day as progressive's letter. MetLife was the roughly same price as new progressive. GEICO was my next call, and they were significantly lower than what I had been paying progressive for years! Shame on me for not calling around earlier. I wouldnt have been surprised if my rates went up next 6 month cycle, but has not happened after 3 years.

After my recent fubar with State Farm I’m shopping around. Wife has been with State Farm for 15 years with one vehicle, I’ve had home and at least 3 autos with Farm Bureau for 8 years. My old Farm Bureau agent jumped to an insurance broker about 2 years ago, so giving her a shot to see what she can come up with. Not sure she’ll be able to do any better, all in on 5 vehicles (1 classic insured, 1 liability, 3 full coverage) and my house, I’m under $300/month.

All my stuff is with state farm right now and imho it's too high. My sister in law is our agent and she has done what she can do but it's still more than I like. A friend of mine started his own brokerage firm and is way cheaper. I'm dropping my sister in law and going with him when my house is done. Id switch now but I don't fell like dealing with the hassle of changing my builders risk with the bank.

We left USAA and went to Farm Bureau two years ago and our homeownes dropped by half and our vehicles dropped by a third. I went back to USAA and offered them the chance to match and they said I was slated for an increase.

I have always been told to shop every so often....I think like 3 years.
Mostly because of fluctuating values of all said property. Under writting changes for stuff like autos to less while housing usually increases. Of course this is a blanket assumption. As those fluctuate insurance premiums are generally more rigid.

So the short.....shop every so often. Better reflects current markets and values.

Wait until you guys with Direct, Progressive, Gieco, etc ..... have a claim.
Then you will see why they are so cheap.
They deny everything.
Screw everyone.
Even their own customers.
IMHO, a bundle with Farm Bureau is as good as it gets and a company that actually works for yous

Matt

I have my agent shop my insurance almost every year. With my personal and business I have several policies and this yet we split them up because my longtime carrier was getting too proud. I ended up using Safeco, for a big auto savings!

Shop it every year. Insurance is just like a cable bill/directv. Except the insurance companies don't tell you that it is an introductory rate to get you in the door. I was with USAA for a number of years through college, bought a different vehicle and shopped it around and Geico was the lowest for similar coverage. Kept Geico for a couple of years and then noticed by bill going up and them claiming it was a state wide rate increase. I called bullshit then got it quoted through USAA, this time they smoked the rate from Geico so I switched back. The other thing to double check is make absolutely sure they set your deductibles to what you ASK for not what their default is. Most default to whatever is the most expensive rate/lowest deductible. We keep low comprehensive deductibles in case we go hunting with our vehicles, but higher collision deductibles.

I'm an Allstate agent. There are some advantages you get for switching, or doing a re write even with the same company.
USAA has been screwing people for years. Because the members are so insistent that the US government has their best interest in mind. The people really do believe it.
There are state wide increases going on for the last 2 years due to new insurance commissioner Mike Causey. Prior to that... I think it was 9 or 10 years since an increase.
I recommend pretty much everyone 0 comprehensive. 250 or 500 collision. Liability limits depend on your assets, etc...

I'd be happy to review any of your coverages and see if we could save you guys some cash. Just drop me a line. Cell - 336 430 7842. I don't do voicemail, but I usually answer unless I'm with a customer. You can text, message me here, or email at EricSchmitt1@allstate.com

They deny everything.
Screw everyone.
Even their own customers.
IMHO, a bundle with Farm Bureau is as good as it gets and a company that actually works for yous

Matt
Yep... Those companies deny most everything. Farm Bureau is good until you actually file a claim. 2 claims, regardless of pay out, and they will usually drop you. Good friend was an agent with them for almost a decade and finally got sick of cancelling long term customers over minor claims.

I've had State Farm, Progressive, Geico and now USAA. They all suck and will screw anyone at any time. Insurance is a scam and a necessity because of the litigious society we live in.... rant over.....

*sips tea* I don't disagree... but having the right people in your corner helps.

They deny everything.
Screw everyone.
Even their own customers

Matt
We have had 2 accidents at my company the last 2 years none of which we our fault grist one was a geico claim and was a hassle but eventually go straightened out the second was this year when our guy was stoped to turn in a drive way and a progressive driver reared him any the shit show had still not ended and the wreck was 9 months ago I think the boss just said to hell with it

Back