cherokee beater build

ah who cares :flipoff2:

welding is going to be the easiest. if there is anything that i really hate, it is drilling holes in a frame. too time consuming. hey is anyone else sitting at the charlotte airport right now?

"Although it is possible to weld to the unibody, the longevity of the weld in questionable. The unibody is only 16 guage (.060 in.) and the heat of a weld stresses the thin metal. The weld may not crack but the unibody around it may. The unibody is welded from the factory, however, robot controlled welding is done complete with heat sensors creating welds much more exact than a human is capable of".

from rusty's site.

"Although it is possible to weld to the unibody, the longevity of the weld in questionable. The unibody is only 16 guage (.060 in.) and the heat of a weld stresses the thin metal. The weld may not crack but the unibody around it may. The unibody is welded from the factory, however, robot controlled welding is done complete with heat sensors creating welds much more exact than a human is capable of".
from rusty's site.

Not trying to spark a fight, so I'm done. Check out this link though, it's some great reading.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5878&highlight=welding+bible

I've seen very few people actually wheel one hard enough to worry about the unibody thing. Put a cage in it, tie it all in to the unibody and wheel it. I wheeled mine for a few years pretty hard and never saw signs of the unibody falling apart. That's some JU crap you been hearing.

highrollin, just a question, no hatin' here-been doin alot of reading because the 2.8 I have is worn out and I've been considering a swap. Alot of what I read was that the engine bay for the pre-87 was too small for a sbc or 4.0 I6 without extending it ala newer front end from a post '87 donor. Have you also found this or have some other ideas? cause I'm liking the idea of maybe a 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7 chevy or the like.

idk yet, i guess we will find out when i go to swap in the 350. i am sure it is gonna be a tight squeeze. i have not read anything about what you are talkin about but then again i havent really done much research into it. i know that i have seen cherokees with 350s in them so thats what i am aiming for. if worse comes to worse i guess i will have to cut out the fenders all together along with the inner fender wells and tube it out, and i am not at all against that approach.

I mean yea sticken the 350 in it isnt gonna be hard at all if anything is in the way thats what a BFH is for. As far as welding to the unibody sure it might weaken it or w/e but with the amount of steel and tube thats gonna be slapped all over the rig the unibody won't be doin much of anything anyway.

oh and chris, you jeep will never even compare to the allmighty awsomeness that is the Z71 Jeep, just remember that :driver:

you know you could just swap in a 3.4 from a camaro, or a supercharged 3.8, or a caddy shortstar, northstar or other v8. all that shit will bolt up to your 60* bell. might save you some pain/time/money. the 3.4 you could jsut bolt all your existing crap on it, pop in a good cam maybe swap to tbi and do some other little stuff and be at around 200hp. throw a 4:1 kit in the 231 and save your worries for the axles, suspension, and safety stuff.

I mean yea sticken the 350 in it isnt gonna be hard at all if anything is in the way thats what a BFH is for. As far as welding to the unibody sure it might weaken it or w/e but with the amount of steel and tube thats gonna be slapped all over the rig the unibody won't be doin much of anything anyway.
oh and chris, you jeep will never even compare to the allmighty awsomeness that is the Z71 Jeep, just remember that :driver:
i wasn't aware the jeep ever made a z71 model

i wasn't aware the jeep ever made a z71 model

They didn't big Rick made the Z71 model because everyone knows fullsize chevys are the best and Z71 are the pinnacle of awsomeness and I already own one Z71 thats now a 1500HD and since I had a jeep and I know that fullsize chevy are the shiznit the jeep got full chevy drivetrain, and I titled it the Z71 jeep :driver:

Trust me, my Z71 jeep can do waaaaaay more than any of ya'lls jeeps can, so I guess that just further proves that Chevy is the way to go :burnout:

Stupid little jeeps with there "long arms" and "coils" :flipoff2:

please don't associate him with any college students that go to NCState or go elsewhere..he does not speak for the majority..:shaking:

They didn't big Rick made the Z71 model because everyone knows fullsize chevys are the best and Z71 are the pinnacle of awsomeness and I already own one Z71 thats now a 1500HD and since I had a jeep and I know that fullsize chevy are the shiznit the jeep got full chevy drivetrain, and I titled it the Z71 jeep :driver:
Trust me, my Z71 jeep can do waaaaaay more than any of ya'lls jeeps can, so I guess that just further proves that Chevy is the way to go :burnout:

Did anyone else read this, and keep thinking of:
"Save me baby Jesus!"

hey what is ZACk doing positing on this forum he doesn't own a jeep of any 4 wheel vehicle....And zack your girlfriends jeep doesn't count. MR. "i can make long arms cheaper than buying a kit, wait can i measure all your brackets from your kit brett?"

right, theres a useless post right there... anyway i haven't seen a requirement that says that you have to own something, i did have a jeep, however it got totaled, and im pretty sure that i've contributed more to this board than you have:flipoff2: and amandas jeep will be done shortly..so enough of the thread hijack, chris when are you getting back? what are the plans next for this?

Zack

wow there is some dumbassery in this thread. mostly from ricky as usual.:flipoff2:

if its a z71 then wouldn't that make it ifs? why would you ruin a jeep but putting ifs in it

Back