cj 5 build

Ok so today I took an old steering column from a cj 7 and combined it with mine and got it put in the jeep with a new lock out cylinder so I can start the jeep now with a key.

Tomorrow the jeep is getting trailered to over the top off road and they are going to fab me a transmission cross member and skid plate. When I get it back from that it can get dropped off to have my custom shafts made so finally it can move under its own power.

uploadfromtaptalk1393690196492.jpg

Put a cheap exhaust on the jeep yesterday and dropped it off at over the top offroad for the cross member. I might have then put a blue torch fab stretch kit on it and run xj leafs for 6 in stretch. If I do that I'll have to mount a fuel cell in the back. But 6 inches would be nice for drive shaft length

uploadfromtaptalk1394054598356.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394054622544.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394054643689.jpg

Over the top offroad fab building me my transmission cross member.

Built a winch plate for the trailer. I have a warn 5k I'm putting on it.

uploadfromtaptalk1394064716251.jpg

Built a winch plate for the trailer. I have a warn 5k I'm putting on it.

uploadfromtaptalk1394141810966.jpg

Well I made a decision to ditch the np205 case and go back to the original Dana 20 and refresh it and do a twin stick. I have to order the adapter kit from advanced adapters because right now it's a lot cheaper than stretching it. I wanted to drive it so I welded up a front drive shaft and put it in. My hubs were locked but not catching so I pulled them out and cleaned them and put them back in fired it up and it worked. I took it for a ride in front wheel drive. Have a video but tapa talk is smarter than me so I don't know how to upload it.

Well I got transferred to Virginia again so I am now back to living in my house with the wife. Put some antique plates on the jeep. I've driven it to work a few times and came up with a few things that need to be replaced. Steering column bearing, headlight switch, directional switch, and new hood latches so I put in an order at Morris 4x4

uploadfromtaptalk1396621363262.jpg

Well cj build is about to come to a screeching halt.

Meet Haleigh 7lbs 11 oz 20.5 in
Born 04/14/14 at 1:17 am.

uploadfromtaptalk1397564898596.jpg

nice build. children are great i have 6 of my own. when they growup they will help you witrh the build. hope you get started back soon congrats on the new baby very cute

Thanks man. That's a good looking rig you've got. I can't wait until she's old enough to help me around the garage.

uploadfromtaptalk1402772082012.jpg

Just picked up this 4" pro comp lift for the jeep with es9000 shocks hopefully have it in sometime this week.

uploadfromtaptalk1403301703699.jpg

Swapped the original 3 speed back into threw some drive shafts in it. Than I installed the 4" pro comp lift and now she's loaded up for a shake down run

uploadfromtaptalk1403461034677.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403461049531.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403461068180.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403461091490.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403461112181.jpg

Here's a few pictures from yesterday wheeling in luisburg. I have to work out a few kinks but overall it did well

Well took it out last night and looks like the tranny is coming back out. It's stuck in 2nd gear I believe.

Ok so I rebuilt the transmission and its working great. I picked up some 34x9.50x15 super swamper ltb's and they seem to be a pretty good fit.

I'm planning on swapping in a dana 44 up front and ff 14 bolt in the rear. Plans are to swap in coil springs and 4 link the rear and keep leaf springs up front and add a cage. Also thinking about doing a hydro assist up front. Stay tuned.

I'd post up a pic of the new tires but can't seem to get it to upload.

thanks man. It is defiantly a slow progress. I've changed my mind probably about a 100 times since day one but its slowly evolving. I'm very surprised/pleased with how it does for being open differentials and stiff suspension.

20141130_182450.jpg
20141211_171206.jpg
20141212_184408.jpg
20141212_195026.jpg

Attachments

• 20141231_134531.jpg
    20141231_134531.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 301
So I got the tires home. I threw the jeep up on jack stands and took the wheels and tires to work with me and swapped the tires on to my stock CJ wheels. I threw them on when I got home. They look like a pretty good fit for how it sits as of now. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. I did notice that 3 of the 4 aren't holding air (dry rot) so I bought some tubes from production offroad in VA Beach, VA to solve that problem. I also got a marine radio for Christmas to toss in the jeep but haven't gotten that far yet.

future plans are probably going to be swapping waggy 44's in and doing a 6-8" rear stretch, shackle reversal using yj springs up front, xj springs in the rear and doing SOA. fuel cell to replace the rear seat, and a hi-steer set up, and a full cage. I've been talking to Chris from Marsfab about helping me out with all of this so it'll be top notch work. The way I see it working out is wheel the jeep as is for this summer and gather parts, save up $ etc... and drop it off to Chris in the fall and do everything.

If you guys have any input, advice, comments or concerns please feel free to let me know I'm a newb when it comes to building rigs. I'm just a guy who likes to play offroad and knows how to replace broken parts. HAHA

Got the tubes put in the tires this weekend but I stripped out a wheel stud on the left front. Making a list of the little things I need, so I can at least get out in the garage and tinker on the jeep while I straighten out my finances.

Took the jeep out yesterday at a small offroad park here in town that I never knew about until recently and got as far as getting it unloaded off the trailer and started having a ton of electrical issues to the point where it wouldn't even stay running (voltage issues) I think I have a real bad ground issue. So right now I'm trying to decide if I should pull the wiring harness out and rebuild it / modernize it, or just suck it up and drop the $500 for a painless wiring harness and be done with it. Anybody have any experience doing either?

So I figured out the wiring issue. I also have done a few little things to the jeep but progress has been slow. I'm in a work up phase for a deployment coming up in February so I've been super busy at work.

So the 4" lift that's on the jeep is a procomp and rides like hell. The front shackles were inverted and every time I try to crawl up on something they would flip back and hit the frame. So I took the jeep to a buddy who does fab work on the side and had him hook me up. He moved the shackles forward a few inches and stretched my driveshaft. Here are the pictures.
fab1.jpg
Cut the old shackle mounts off.

fab2.jpg
Cutting out some new mounts.

fab3.jpg
Welding them up.

fab4.jpg
welding them on the frame.

jeep girl.jpg

After Alex got it all together and I got it home. I took my 1 year old daughter Haleigh and my Wife out for a cruise. It was my daughters first time riding in a jeep and she loved it.

ok so its been awhile since I've updated this thread.

Jeep has been running great and I've done a little wheeling here and there but my wife didn't like going because she didn't feel safe. So I bought some harnesses and called up my buddy to help me fab up a bar to mount them to.

upload_2016-7-16_9-27-40.png

bar for the shoulder straps.

upload_2016-7-16_9-28-40.png

brackets we made for the lap belts.

upload_2016-7-16_9-29-24.png

finished product.

Now the wife feels safer to ride. This is only a temporary fix until I can get time to build a full cage with suspension seats.

Than I figured with this being an older jeep its probably a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy, so I bought one and tossed it on the roll bar where it's easy to access.

Don't mind the harness bar it rained before I had a chance to throw some paint on it.

upload_2016-7-16_9-33-10.png

Back