CJ5 Jevy

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Got a 74 CJ5, codenamed: JEVY

Since the Samurai is going to be my Trail/rockcrawler rig the CJ is goona be the sick nasty huge ass mud bogger.

Here's what It has:
-360 with Holley dual line carb and accel super coil ignition
-T15 thats on its last leg (needs to be replaced)
-Dana 20 Tcase
-Dana 44 front 8 lug from a Chevy
-Dana 60 rear 8 lug from a Dodge
-Rear spring: 4" procomp YJ Spring
-Front spring: 2.5" Skyjacker rear CJ7 Spring
-It has a custom rear bumper and Front bumper with a stinger
-Wheel base has been streched
-Front fenders have been taken off and rear fenders trimmed
-floorboard are rusted out and there is bad rust on the rockers, some on the firewall, and some in the bed/rear wheelwells

Plans:
-Got to decide weather or not to weld in new metal and repair the rust or just buy a body off someone.
-Put the Sick nasty axles I have under it here are the specs again:
79 Wagoneer Dana 44
4.10 Gears
Eazy Locker
Warn Shafts
Reg. U-Joints
Warn Premium Hubs
Chevy 8 Lug Conversion
Rockstomper Rock Rod (Heavy Duty)

C&C Corp 14 Bolt
4.10 Gears
Detroit Locker
Disc Brakes
Rock Cage (like the ones on ebay)
8 Lug
New Bearings and seals
-Put the early Chevy Superlift 12" front 8" rear springs on it
-put the 8 lugs 15x11.5 front 15x 12.5 rear black rims and the 44's on it
-Put the Brand new Reneck Ram yj box and setup on it
-Put in a a Torqueflight 727
-Put a np241 behind it (get moser to respline the output on the tf727)

So there ya go, will most likely deal with the rust problem 1st.

Here's me towing it home:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_f5255633.jpg

Here it is after I got it back, put a Beast Inc Sticker on the window and put the 44's on it just to get them out of my garage.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_86439dc9.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_97c6d589.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_cee779f3.jpg

Rick

Best thing to do on the rust would be to check the body mounts. Open the hood and look down at the driver and passenger side where the fenders bolt at the bottom. Also check the rear which is right behind the rear bumper on each side.
If th ebody mounts are good I'd probably replace the flooring. You can buy pieces from JC whitney or almost anywhere else. If the body mounts and flooring are rotted it may be easier to replace the body. You have a good start on the jeep for sure. If you decide to give up on the Sami and go for the jeep let me know I'll get it from you.

After looking at the pics I'd make this the rock crawler it's already there. Get it moving throw some skids and a winch. It's already got a low center of gravity.
If you want a fender I've got a drivers side from a 1982 cj should fit. It's free if you want it. Needs a small amount of work

Thanks for the info on the rust, I'll definitly have to check it out. I saw all the relacement peices on jc whitney, I'll just have to decide what to do, If I find a tub for sale for somewhere near the same price as doing it myself I mightjust go with that to save myself the trouble. Thanks for the offer on the fender but he gave me his old ones when I picked it up, not sure If i'll put em back on or not yet, I kinda like the look already. The jeep is setup as a rockcrawler at the moment but I'm still goin with the mudbogger plan and let the sami be the trail/rockcrawler. And no, I've already had three people say they'll take the samurai but I aint gettin rid of it lol :cool:

If you plan on mudding that thing your ganna seriasly want to invest in a set of doors and a top. Why are you going to put more lift on something that already fits 44's?? Seems to me like its ganna cause all kinds of steering and drive shaft problems for just about no performance gain. A good trail rig can destroy some mud but a good mud truck sucks balls on the trials. Id rather have something that can do both.

Doors and Top are definitly on the list of stuff to do, plus it doesnt quite fit 44's at the moment. It rubs the front bumper when turning and it will hit the rear body when it flex's and on top of that I'm putting axles on that are a few inches narrower than the ones on it now. The reason I'm going mud bogger with this is because I have the samurai to be my trail/rock rig.

What axles are on it now? Why swap?

If 44s rub the bumper, trim the bumper. If they rub in the rear, lower the bumpstops. A mud truck doesn't need too much flex.

Also, what do you do for money?
Must be nice to have a fairly new Z-71, a Sammy, and a fully setup stretched wheelbase CJ... :flipoff2:

BIG DAWG NC said:
Sweeeetttt Jevy you have there.

Thanks

uglyjeepoffroad said:
What axles are on it now? Why swap?

If 44s rub the bumper, trim the bumper. If they rub in the rear, lower the bumpstops. A mud truck doesn't need too much flex.

Also, what do you do for money?
Must be nice to have a fairly new Z-71, a Sammy, and a fully setup stretched wheelbase CJ... :flipoff2:

The reason I'm swapping the axles Is because if you look at my first post the axles I am swapping in are waaaaay better than the ones under it.

For money? I just save it and spend it on whats Important: Trucks :cool:

You may want to rethink the whole tire thing with those axles. If you go ver 39" your going to have a problem with the 44. Sure the axles are fixed up and the 14 bolt should be fine as long as your not over 40". The 44 will have problems with large tires though. I'd look for a Dana 60, you can find them for a decent price. Nothings worse than busting an axle in mud up to the doors. Never a fun situation.

Well I'm only running the 44's for now just cause I have em, besides It's gonna be a while before it's even in running condition. I agree with you that the 44 will be stressed, but I'm curious as to why you say only 40's on the 14 bolt, I've been told by several experienced 4 wheelers that 14 bolts will stand up to 49's if you want em to.

The only reason why I'm not going with a Dana 60 is because they cost near $1000 just for the plain axle not including the neccesary modifications that must be done such as gearing lockers, etc. and I paid less than that for the ones I have now and all the parts in them are brand new never been used.

I'm just trying to help, not trying to insult you at all. I think 40's on that 14 bolt will be weak especially when you are powering through mud and possibly hitting something. It's not mine so I wouldn't have to worry about it. You deffinatelt have a good start not deniying you that.

are you still arguing that the 14 bolt can't handle 40's? have ever wheeled a 14 bolt? ever torn one down? do you have any idea what you are talking about? explain to me what will fail with 40's on a 14 bolt?

pheery said:
are you still arguing that the 14 bolt can't handle 40's? have ever wheeled a 14 bolt? ever torn one down? do you have any idea what you are talking about? explain to me what will fail with 40's on a 14 bolt?

Ditto on Patrick's question........are you sure you aren't confusing the 14 bolt with a 10 bolt or 12 bolt?

pheery said:

14b, 35's, depending on rosette welds, and running a radius arm in the rear:

f3b387da.jpg

Alright if you want to get into a discusion here it is. I think it will be a big problem for someone who runs the axle stock and likes to get on the throttle a little heavy (like mud bogging). The axle itself shouldn't be a problem but It does have a weak link especially with big tires and hig horses. It uses u bolt straps to hold in the u joint. Pheery yes I have rode in a vehicle with this axle. It happened under the same situation in mud probably a little heavy on the skinny. I'm not trying to insult anyone with a 14bolt at all just giving my experiance and trying to help. May be I'm being a little bias because of my situation.

so you get a u-bolt style yoke, that is stupid arguement for why the axle can't handle 40's. puma i can't see you pics, but i am betting someone broke a weld by your description. again what does that have to do with the strength of the 14 bolt. this is a rediculous conversation.

fryedaddy said:
I think 40's on that 14 bolt will be weak especially when you are powering through mud and possibly hitting something.

Dude, that's crazy.. The 14 will handle 42's with ease on high traction surfaces like they get out west... The only weak link might be the u-joint straps, but that's easily fixable, and won't cost much.

I guess everyone is on borrowed time with their 14b, since I've only seen one 14b being run with under 38" tires...

But it's moot anyway.. This project will most likely never get past his yard.. He's had that Sammy well over 6 months and all that's been done is some rattle can, mirrors (which have no business on the outside of a rock rig), and one of those :gay: stickers :lol:

Back