Coronavirus project thread

Deck is done! I have a few odds and ends to do and still waiting on the lights to get here, but for the most part it is done. Grilled out some steaks on it last night. We went from about 260sqft of deck space (not counting the screened area) to about 500sqft. The screened porch also used to be this weird little poke out off of the old deck, looked really dumb. Now we incorporated it into the layout of the new deck so it really fits in nicely now.

Attachments

• 2020-04-05 (1).jpg
    2020-04-05 (1).jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 2020-04-05 (2).jpg
    2020-04-05 (2).jpg
    225 KB · Views: 190
  • 2020-04-05 (3).jpg
    2020-04-05 (3).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 2020-04-05 (4).jpg
    2020-04-05 (4).jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 2020-04-05 (5).jpg
    2020-04-05 (5).jpg
    153 KB · Views: 168
  • 2020-04-05.jpg
    2020-04-05.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 182
This was my first time doing any screen. We used Screen-tight system from Lowes. It definitely got it tight and should be easily fixed if it gets torn or loosen up
Do you have any up close pics of how it went up? Screen-tight system that is?

Wanted more storage on my trailer so I mounted up a FB special side mount tool box between the uprights. Battery fits perfect. Now to order the quick connects for the winch and wire up some loading lights and a solar battery tender.

20200406_180758.jpg
20200406_180735.jpg

Duane

Little more progress this evening. Ordering metal tomorrow. Hope that check gets here soon... lol
F1C02891-129B-4697-8525-669A3D9B1C53.jpeg

390957E6-FD5A-48DA-ACD0-4C56D3ADC497.jpeg

Reconfigured laundry room in CAD while watching Netflix. It's a pre-project for my project.

This is Rev 5, believe it or not. Everything fell into place when I decided to go with an electric tankless instead of gas tankless, because the gas tankless wasn't going to fit. Too big, too much depth off of the wall, bad options for venting on exterior walls, and was interfering with everything (the door swing, the breaker panel clearance, whatever).

But it all fits, including the inswing of the door that's not shown.

I think the entire room is about 6x7 minus the notch, I can't remember exactly. Most houses have bigger walk-in bedroom closets than this laundry room.
  • Add storage cabinet
  • Relocate washer and dryer
  • Remove and patch up the disintegrating exterior mudroom door (the room barely big enough for the washer and dryer, not to use as a mudroom)
  • Move the breaker panel inside the house (the pink box is the 30x36 panel clearance footprint by code; panel not shown)
  • Add the electric tankless water heater (small gray box on the wall, not sure what final position will be)
  • Double-stud that small section of wall to make a wet wall to relocate the toilet and shower drains in the master bathroom (directly above this room).

Now I have to figure out the details of patching up the wonderfully shitty Thermo-Ply sheathing and beaded wood lap siding. I need to find a source for that siding profile that's closer to me than Raleigh. :mad:

laundry.JPG

Last edited:
Trying to help a buddy with his daily, lbz duramax needs headgaskets. This is why I discourage anyone from owning a diesel that doesn't need one and cant work on it themself. Local shop quotes were around $7500 and up, new gm long block is $6300... should be back up and running for ~$2000 just in parts :shaking:

20200405_181829.jpg

Is the frame strong enough for a vehicle without the top rails? I always figured those angle iron frame landscape trailers utilized the top rail for strength like a truss since the frame was just angle.
Probably not, but I don't really care. It will do good enough for what I'm doing. It does have c channel from the tongue to the front tires, but nothing in the back.

Add 50% to your projected cost of this laundry room remodel. This will be the only $200/sqft laundry room in 3 counties when you get done finagling it.

Nah, just a laundry closet, but I definitely got a laugh out of that. The whole point of CAD was to make everything fit, not to make it really nice. It's getting new drywall because I have to modify 4 of the 5 drywalled surfaces (it's just easier to replace it all for a room that small), and it's probably getting some glue-down Marmoleum tile because I love Marmoleum. The existing 30-year-old linoleum is about 20 years past it's replacement date I think.

The concept of a Pinterest-worthy laundry room has always baffled me. I'm not doing ceramic tile, or wrought iron shelf brackets, or a reclaimed barn wood accent wall, or painted letters that say "Home" or some bullshit like that.

Who knows when I'm going to start on this, because I'm not going anywhere close to a Lowes or Home Depot right now. I've never seen their parking lots so full, and that's during a mandated stay at home order........

Last edited:
Probably not, but I don't really care. It will do good enough for what I'm doing. It does have c channel from the tongue to the front tires, but nothing in the back.
Sounds like my car hauler. It is 2" or so angle. I don't think the top is for any type of structure on those trailers.

I don't think sides like that can add any strength/stiffness, if you look at how they're assembled. I can't see any real way to feed any loads into the sides without some triangles (I know you're laughing, but it's true) to make it act like more like a truss, and (without triangles) if there actually was any loading the sides would buckle or the welds would fatigue and break.

Basically, I think the fact that the welds on the sides don't fail over time is the signal that they aren't being loaded enough to add anything.

Last edited:
I don't think sides like that can add any strength/stiffness, if you look at how they're assembled. I can't see any real way to feed any loads into the sides without some triangles (I know you're laughing, but it's true) to make it act like more like a truss, and (without triangles) if there actually was any loading the sides would buckle or the welds would fatigue and break.

Basically, I think the fact that the welds on the sides don't fail over time is the signal that they aren't being loaded enough to add anything.

Even without triangles in between the parallel pieces of angle, you have to get some added strength. Not saying exactly double, but it's got to be something. I know I'm not an engineer and can't model it in CAD, but I can tell you that two pieces of angle welded together every 18" are going to be stronger than a single piece of angle.

Do you have any up close pics of how it went up? Screen-tight system that is?

No I didn't take any of the install or any up close.

It's pretty simple. They make tracks for either 2x4 or 4x4 framing. I made 1.5" frame that went inside our 6x6 post and screwed the track onto it. Two man job putting the screen in and rolling the spline in. Then cover with the trim piece.

That's going to cost a fucking fortune.

How much is a fortune? Do you think the $1500 rough quote that I got was too low?
Sounds like a bargain compared to what it would take to keep it in the current location (right where the garage will join to the house). It's part of the garage budget, and a good upgrade for the rusty old panel full of failing breakers.

Electric water heater is like $600, which is probably what just the gas line plumbing for a gas unit would cost. The electric WH is probably about 1/3 the price of the Rinnai with gas plumbing ($1800-ish)

Last edited:
How much is a fortune? Do you think the $1500 rough quote that I got was too low?
Sounds like a bargain compared to what it would take to keep it in the current location (right where the garage will join to the house). It's part of the garage budget, and a good upgrade for the rusty old panel full of failing breakers.

Electric water heater is like $600, which is probably what just the gas line plumbing for a gas unit would cost. The electric WH is probably about 1/3 the price of the Rinnai with gas plumbing ($1800-ish)

And probably double the operation cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back