Cost of doing business?

jeepin' jen

Slummin' with a sami
So I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with an issue...so of course I bring it to the experts (that's where you guys come in)!

As some may know, finding Samurai parts can be a chore so I was ecstatic to find a company that specializes in them. I had been in contact with them via FB messenger about a package deal they were offering on transfer case gearing.

I finally placed the order today for over $1300.00 :eek:. I ordered a 1.6 install kit + the transfer case bundle. The home page on the site offered a discount code but the tcase bundle indicated no coupons or discounts. I assumed the discount would only be applied to my other product. (Apparently I was wrong, which I soon found out). I sent a follow-up message to say thanks & here's the response:
Screenshot_2017-07-23-17-48-39-1.png

Of course I'm pissed because I want the order but do I bother with a response when it's their site that allowed the discount?

Screenshot_2017-07-23-18-14-07-1.png
*[Reader's digest version: I'm pissy that a business is willing to cancel a $1300 order over their own screw up]

This just rubs me wrong. They don't have to honor a mistake, but losing an order (or a customer) is a stupid way to tell you that they made a mistake.

Tell them they can cancel that order, and you want to place another order with the discount on the other parts but not the transfer case bundle. If only the transfer case does not have the discount, you should be entitled to the discount on the other items?

And tell them to fix their ordering system, because they're going to lose customers. They aren't obligated to accept the order at that price (if they haven't agreed to accept it) but it's still shitty business to cancel an order instead of working to make it right to keep the sale. It rubs me the wrong way, and most companies would usually eat the $80 and then list the item as out-of-stock until they can get the webmaster (or whoever does that stuff) to fix the discount issue. That's the cost of doing business.

It would be easy for them to say "We need to cancel that order because the discount is wrong and we can't honor that price, but we'll create another order with the correct price and send you a payment invoice if you still want to purchase the parts".... That's what a good business does. They made a mistake, but they still want your business and will make it easy for you to keep that order alive.

Last edited:
Used to be, you go in a store and pick up something with the wrong price on it, the manager comes over to the cashier, apologies, accepts responsibility and honors the price as listed. He then immediately RUNS to the item and yanks the incorrect price to avoid a repeat.

That was the old cost of doing business.

Now everyone is basically a fuckhead and customer service went out with the 90s.

*Also, what company is this?

Used to be, you go in a store and pick up something with the wrong price on it, the manager comes over to the cashier, apologies, accepts responsibility and honors the price as listed. He then immediately RUNS to the item and yanks the incorrect price to avoid a repeat.

That happens at the grocery store all the time with us; old sale tags without a visible expiration date are all over the place.

By the way, I would put my foot up someone's ass if someone responded "I lost $80 and have not even processed the order yet".

If you're visibly pissed off that I placed an order, we're done. It's your mistake, so go fuck yourself if you can't even say sorry.

If you do reply, don't do it until tomorrow, because duder doesn't want to mess with it until then.

Last edited:
I was floored by the response. I'm not sure what world others live in but $1300 is a lot in my little world...especially for a 1987 Samurai.

I initially planned to apologize because it was never my intention to screw anyone over. I'll be honest, I love discounts but I'm not a total shithead. Then the anger set in with the realization that they could've approached this in a better way. A "hey we appreciate your business but there was a processing error....here are some options to resolve..."

@Mulishajoe, on the other hand, is ready to bash their business & tell them to fuck their self (you know the whole happy wife, happy life motto)..but dammit my Sami needs 6:5 gears & twinsticks :cool:

I call BS on loosing money. I'm sure they are making at least 20-40%. The $100 is less than 10% so I really think he is BS'ing you. Plus how has he lost $80 without even processing the order. If he refunds your money he isn't charged any processing fees unless he has some shady merchant services company.

I call BS on loosing money. I'm sure they are making at least 20-40%. The $100 is less than 10% so I really think he is BS'ing you. Plus how has he lost $80 without even processing the order. If he refunds your money he isn't charged any processing fees unless he has some shady merchant services company.

I was curious about that too. I'm not one to question someone's business practices. But operating at a loss or super low profit margin doesn't seem to be the best approach ;)

I would have canceled the order with a "go fuck yourself."

I don't think the response is that bad (yes it could have been worded better). You have to remember that a lot of the time stuff that is said in messenger/email is interpreted by others much different then the way it was intended. He probably also felt like he needed to reply to you right then also since you sent him a message, however that is weekend and after hours for him, so he probably just wanted to get back to his regular life asap.

As an Operations Manager I would have eaten the cost and would have never "whined" to you about it. If that much money is enough to drop your business off the edge you need a better business model. However, I would also call and talk to them. They typed word often doesn't sound the same as the spoken word.

I don't think the response is that bad (yes it could have been worded better). You have to remember that a lot of the time stuff that is said in messenger/email is interpreted by others much different then the way it was intended. He probably also felt like he needed to reply to you right then also since you sent him a message, however that is weekend and after hours for him, so he probably just wanted to get back to his regular life asap.

When running a business, especially one with such a small nitch in the market. One should never ever reply in such a manner that the customer is a burden..

All I have to say is in all my years dealing with customers is that for sake of the business you never blame the customer for something that is not their fault. Yes it did say no discount for the package deal but that was not all that was ordered. Heck we opted for add ons for the package plus ordered more from him. Anyone that know me will tell you I'm more than willing to work it out if given the chance but at the same time I will not stand for BS either. I praise all the businesses that have ever sold me a good product at a fair price, just look at the back of my toy hauler or ask me about something I have and I will tell you all about how good or bad of an experience I have had.

Without understanding all the purchase and whatnot I dont believe he should eat it all, but definitely should have addressed it differently. I am a believer in keeping your dirty laundry to yourself as a business, esp with customers. I hate going to a business or talking on the phone and having them talk about how much they are making or loosing. Just because you have a desire or skill, doesn't mean you make a good business owner.

Last edited:
The important question is... can the same (or close enough) parts be acquired from anybody else, for anything close to the same cost? Even same ballpark?
If so, then I'd call and talk in person to clarify that you only expected he discount on the OTHER parts, and if he gives you any hassle, flat out say, ok then sorry, since you don't want my business then I'll go spend more money on XX.

Dude needs a lesson on how (not) to conduct business.

Well my little gurus, I have great news (drum roll please)...the Sami is getting twin sticks & 6:5 gears! (Hopefully by the year 2020, lord knows how slow our builds go). :driver:

I appreciate everyone's input & ultimately decided to put on my big girl panties & take the high road (I absolutely hate conflict).

But before I had an opportunity to respond, the owner of the company actually called & requested to speak to my husband about an error with his order. Of course I had to explain that it was my order & I was the one who had been in contact with him :cool:. Ultimately we agreed to split the difference for the discount & go on with our merry Monday :rockon:

Back