Craigslist renegotiators

I'm positive I sell my stuff too cheap, but for me it's worth it. I do not like dealing with FB and craigslist "negotiators", so I list everything for nearly the lowest price I'll accept. There's no way an extra 10% is worth it for me to wait an extra 3 months and deal with an extra 300+ idiots. I sold my last 3 vehicles within 1-5 days of listing. Typically at or maybe just a couple percent less than listed price. Rip the bandaid and get it over with.

Selling some tires currently on CL, guy from Va wants them. Cancels the first time he was coming. Couple days later he's on his way and realizes it's a 2.5hr drive. "Can you meet me here for an extra $25"(after I already took $50 off list price). Nope I'm not driving for 3hrs of my time for $25. I said no then he said how bout $50.....

I have had good luck but you gotta ignore the idiots. My ads say “do not ask me to negotiate over the phone or text. Come see it and bring your money”

I still get an occasional guy who will ask me “will you take xxx”.

Craigslist is like wading in a slimy pond feeling with your feet for gold.

Just sold my old DD ('95 Accord for $1k) on CL & had several 'whats the lowest you'll take in cash?'...replying with 'what that did I list it for?' or 'what's your offer?' stops several of those. Had one guy who offered $400, I countered with $800 just to get it gone & every other day he'd up his offer by $50 or $100 until he finally gave up at $650.

Met one guy who negotiated over text beforehand, looked at it, then tried cutting it by a third in person. Told him no, lets stick to the deal we had over text & he said he'd have to go home to get the $$$...didn't hold my breath & never saw or heard from him again. Sketchy thing is he wanted to test drive it by himself after his wire/gf left in their truck & he acted surprised as I hopped in shotgun.

Finally ended up selling to a guy who only wanted the manual transmission for his '95 Accord for $800 & he ended up leaving in the parking lot we met at for 2-3 days.

The only time I’ve tried to negotiate is if I’m driving a long ways. More than 4 hrs each way and I usually ask for a bunch of pictures if it’s something big.
What I don’t understand is people who want a very specific part or car but don’t wanna look more than an hour away and get mad that your 3 hrs away not my fault you live so far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least the renegotiators show up. I’m about done with FB market place. Turned fb back on since it was a pain trying to sell stuff on there through my wife. I’ve had more people no show on me than actually show up. It’s annoying especially if I’ve got stuff to do. Like the guy who messaged me literally 5 mins before he was supposed to be here to tell me he wasn’t coming but would come get it (geo tracker body) the next weekend if I still had it. It’s now a prop back down in the woods on the range I’m building.

Other good one I had was on the soft topper for a truck I’m selling. Guy asks all sorts of questions about it to figure out if it’ll fit his Chevy. Asks if I’m open to shipping it to Maine. I said I’ll look into it but wasn’t sure. Finally after about 2 weeks of this he offers me roughly half of what I have it listed for including shipping it. Told him no way. He then argues with me that he’s not even sure that it’ll fit his truck, it’s not priced much less than he can get one for elsewhere, and it’s only 40lbs so shipping shouldn’t be that bad. Guess he wasn’t all that happy when I told him to order a new one then since mine was doing a good job sitting in the corner of my shop and was easy to put back on my truck.

I will say I’ve had good luck with the people that have shown up to get stuff though. So there’s that at least. Usually good experiences off of here as well.

It annoys the crap out of me as well, but I have a couple buddies who make an absolute killing wheeling and dealing.

There are the guys who will find someone selling a vehicle worth $3500 for $4000 - and offer them $2000 cash today. It's surprising how often people will give into the allure of an immediate pay off versus waiting for a better offer. Then my buddies flip it and make a killing.

I've also been told if you are mechanically inclined, especially with carb's, that four wheelers are the best money makers since there is no paperwork involved and the fixes are usually pretty simple and cheap.

It annoys the crap out of me as well, but I have a couple buddies who make an absolute killing wheeling and dealing.

There are the guys who will find someone selling a vehicle worth $3500 for $4000 - and offer them $2000 cash today. It's surprising how often people will give into the allure of an immediate pay off versus waiting for a better offer. Then my buddies flip it and make a killing.

I've also been told if you are mechanically inclined, especially with carb's, that four wheelers are the best money makers since there is no paperwork involved and the fixes are usually pretty simple and cheap.

I’ve done that a few times. Buddy bought a 2wd 4 door cummins for 1500 because the guy thought the turbo was bad. He test drove it, gave the guy the cash, walked into Walmart and replaced the air filter and drove it every day since.

Scams abound as well.

When we were looking for a dog, we were interested in a handful of breeds. Boxers, Pugs(My wife was, not me...), Mastiffs, Bulldogs, some other stuff I can't recall.

Anyways, it was amazing the number of scams we ran across. Someone would post pictures in the Charlotte area with information about whatever litter of dogs for sale. You text it, and someone would say, "Where are you located?" then "I just moved to (somewhere far away). If you send me cash, I'll mail you a puppy.". They put these posts all over the place, I'd see the same puppy litter pictures in completely different ads.

I feel bad for the fools who send them money and expect a puppy in a cardboard box punched with air holes in return.

In the end we found a real breeder half the state away, and met them in person, with the puppy we were interested in and we signed, no joke here, an 11 page contract and paid half of the payment in check with receipt. We also took copies of each others drivers licenses. That contract ranged the gauntlet from us breeding without breeding license to paying them $1,500 dollars or pick of the litter. To if we decide to rehome, we have to give the dog back to them to find a new owner. We also had to get the dog neutered in X number of months AND send them proof such as pictures and Vet documentation... It was nuts and also pretty awesome considering we were buying an expensive dog and they cared who the dogs went to.

They even brought the mother and father(who was 203 lbs!) so we would know what we were getting into.

Scams abound as well.

When we were looking for a dog, we were interested in a handful of breeds. Boxers, Pugs(My wife was, not me...), Mastiffs, Bulldogs, some other stuff I can't recall.

Anyways, it was amazing the number of scams we ran across. Someone would post pictures in the Charlotte area with information about whatever litter of dogs for sale. You text it, and someone would say, "Where are you located?" then "I just moved to (somewhere far away). If you send me cash, I'll mail you a puppy.". They put these posts all over the place, I'd see the same puppy litter pictures in completely different ads.

I feel bad for the fools who send them money and expect a puppy in a cardboard box punched with air holes in return.

In the end we found a real breeder half the state away, and met them in person, with the puppy we were interested in and we signed, no joke here, an 11 page contract and paid half of the payment in check with receipt. We also took copies of each others drivers licenses. That contract ranged the gauntlet from us breeding without breeding license to paying them $1,500 dollars or pick of the litter. To if we decide to rehome, we have to give the dog back to them to find a new owner. We also had to get the dog neutered in X number of months AND send them proof such as pictures and Vet documentation... It was nuts and also pretty awesome considering we were buying an expensive dog and they cared who the dogs went to.

They even brought the mother and father(who was 203 lbs!) so we would know what we were getting into.

Good breeders will do that stuff. The breeder we want our next dog from is in New York, you must pick up in person from him, provide him with an pictures of your house and fenced yard and your work schedule, put a deposit down and wait. Wait even longer if you are looking for a certain breeding from his dogs (which male and female you want to be breed). And the requested to enter so many field trials a year.

On the flip side he loves to see his dogs work so you get one he will allow you to come back and hunt with him whenever you want.

Guys makes close to 100,000 a year breeding but all his dogs live inside with him and he is only breeds his females every other year. So his pups are in pretty high demand

i always ask where did you see it? when i post stuff on here craigslist and facebook. id hold parts for someone off here but no where else
Yep.

Buying
Nc4x4 - first choice
Craigslist - 80/20
FB - lol, screaming good deals but you'll feel 30 IQ points lower later.
Hardline - Nope. Nope. Never again.

Yep.

Buying
Nc4x4 - first choice
Craigslist - 80/20
FB - lol, screaming good deals but you'll feel 30 IQ points lower later.
Hardline - Nope. Nope. Never again.

I’ve never bought or sold on hardline, they usually have more turn key rigs for sale.
Although Facebook has some many off-road pages now you can find a turn key rig pretty easy only catch is it may be in California

I’ve never bought or sold on hardline, they usually have more turn key rigs for sale.
Although Facebook has some many off-road pages now you can find a turn key rig pretty easy only catch is it may be in California

F*CK a Hardline. It's not worth it. I got called out as a "bad seller" on there because I blatently told the guy (who lives in AL) that a confirmed buyer in SC will be here with the cash and trailer to get it home one Saturday. Long story short, he offers $2k more, borrowed a trailer and left AL at 4am to get to my house by 8am even after I told him it was SOLD.
I woke up at 4am to tell that asshole to call it off and he went as far as to start a thread calling me out, screenshotting texts, whole 9.
F*CK dealing with a methead piece of garbage. I'm not saying any names, but, I have a hit list scribed in blood. Hell catches up with everyone.
But enough of the negativity, f*CK a Hardline.

What gets me is the guys who can't be bothered to look up a location.
I always put my location on the ad, with zip (but not exact address)
In the text I always have something like, "I live in Churchville, just outside Bel Air, just off of Hwy 22".
I know my town is small but it IS on the map, and Bel Air is the biggest city in the county.

Yet I always gets these texts:
(after first couple back and forth, guy wants to get item)
"OK, so where are you?"
"Churchville"
"Where is that?"
"Outside Bel Air"
"Oh... is that near Baltimore?"
"Um, its about 35 mins NE of Baltimore. Look at a map."
"Oh. I live in Annapolis. That's really far."
"OK...."
"Forget it, I'm not driving 2 hours for s $20 XYZ."

... like I'm wasting HIS time.
Look at the fucking map location PROVIDED BY CRAIGSLIST you dipshit. It literally tells you how far away I am.

The cheaper the item the higher the hassle ratio. Had an empty front toyota housing put it up for $25. Guy offers me $20 via text, sure whatever come get it. He then asks me to hold it for 2 weeks ok sure whatever. Two weeks goes by he texts me and says he only has $15 but still wants it, yeah thats fine come get it. Wait around an hour on friday night and then guy texts asking me to bring it to greensboro for same price. Lol dude you want me to send you a pic of it from the scrapyard because thats where Im taking it??

I know of a guy that does that with go carts. Buys every non running, or just frame go cart he sees, puts Harbor Freight predator engines on them and sells them.

There are the guys who will find someone selling a vehicle worth $3500 for $4000 - and offer them $2000 cash today

That's what cracks me up about this thread. The Craigslist find-of-the-day thread is chock full of "show up with half his asking price in cash, I bet he'll take it" posts, meanwhile we've got guys in this thread saying "that asshole showed up and offered me $100 less than my asking price."

:lol:

Taking this thread in another direction.

Same buddy who wheeled and dealed also bought a used phone from a guy. Drove to his house, and the guy was pretty cool. They talked about beer and motorcycles. He pays and leaves... an hour later he starts getting messages from the guy insinuating that they should have a lustful relationship together.

That's why you don't buy phones off Craigslist Personals.

That's what cracks me up about this thread. The Craigslist find-of-the-day thread is chock full of "show up with half his asking price in cash, I bet he'll take it" posts, meanwhile we've got guys in this thread saying "that asshole showed up and offered me $100 less than my asking price."

:lol:

Yea.....but that's totally different

Years ago I was selling a CJ7.

It was a survivor, hard top. It had previous rust repair on the frame rail that looked so-so but the tub was impeccable and it ran and drove great. Stock like 235 tires...looked like the hard top had never been off the thing.
Pictured it to death including a bunch of the frame repair.

Was selling it for $5k. Guy calls and asks 10,000 questions. Is super nice. Wants to know if I will take $4,500 since he has to drive up from Georgia. Told him it had only been up like 2 days and I wasnt ready to lower the price as I had eleventy billion people coming that weekend with cash in hand to buy it. He agreed to pay $5k and wanted to make sure I wouldnt sell it out from under him the next day since it was a 4 hour drive pulling a trailer. Communicates well even when he has a trailer flat and calls me telling me he is going to be late...all is well.

Pulls up in a brand new Dodge cummins and pulling a featherlite aluminum trailer. We exchange mall talk. He tells me he flips jeeps. ALrerady has this one sold for $7,500 in Birmingham and is leaving my place and taking it to straight them. Crawls all over it, test drives it. Then offers me $4,500.
Nope $5k.
How about $4,750.
Nope $5k
$4,900...while he is doing this someone else calls and says I have cash can I come tonight and get it. I tell him to come on as a guy is there looking at it but isnt going to buy it.

Georgia guy gets pissy and leaves....to tote his trailer back to GA.
30 minutes later other dude shows with his buddy driving doesnt even test drive it and counts me cash. As he is pulling out the GA dude circles back by pulling his empty trailer and says he has had a change of heart and will give me $5k.

Too late it is sold.

I watched him offer this other kid all the way up to like almost $6k before the kid drove off...

This was before we moved into this house (Which was in in 2010) so my exact numbers may be off...but still the weirdest sell Ive ever been a part of.

Back