D-6

I'm still here. China virus slowed my summer work in the shop; kids home schooling and no summer child care, wife working, recycle biz busy... they started back 4 days last week. Cutlerfab thread will be revived soon. Turning two loose soon, bringing two more in for finishing. Then hammer down on #001 CF chassis.

It's good having great clients/ friends.

Thanks Ron.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeh, i keep seeing these pics of the newest cutler fab buggy.....I needs a build thread man!!!!1

Coming...

Were you happy with the tubing you received from the company that cut and bent your chassis? It looks like quality work. If I could send them a file and receive a kit I would be all over that. Do you mind sharing where it came from?

Were you happy with the tubing you received from the company that cut and bent your chassis? It looks like quality work. If I could send them a file and receive a kit I would be all over that. Do you mind sharing where it came from?
Details to come when I start a thread. There are many companies that will cut/ bend, I just posted on FB groups and had 5-6 offer their services. Going rate is about $7 per bend, $7 per cut, plus materials and freight shipping.

I will never bend another chassis by hand for what I paid, shipped to my door.

I designed a fixture system for my chassis table as well, and had it laser cut from 1/4" p&o, and shipped. Tried cutting on my plasma table and had some repeatability issues, fortunately I used 11ga to test with.

Spent as much or more time designing the fixture as I did chassis. Given; the chassis was in Bendtech and I drew the fixtures in 2D, simply because I'm not 3D fluent yet. So that alone took some time and triple checking to transpose everything into Viacad 2D. But everything lined up well, and wasn't terribly difficult to remove fixture after welding.

But yes, very happy with product. Everything lined up well with engraved joint landings.

I think it would work well to build a frame table similar to what you have built. I totally dig that multi-functional bolt on setup. When I used to do chassis work for Terry Labonte, we used these big heavy, long and wide, chassis tables. Among other things, just the footprint of those tables get on my nerves. I think it would be effective to design a multi-functional bolt on frame table with a small foot print similar to the one you have, but possibly improve on it. I think I would want to make it rotate around, and around on some sort of huge bearing. Maybe like a semi truck wheel bearing or something. Maybe like a bearing that those circular rides at the fair use. Probably put some sort of locking mechanism on it, so it can rotate, and then lock down. Of course, it would take some sort of low profile T or H shape lower frame that touched the ground. You may like the idea, and look into modifying yours, or might not care, but I bet some of the guys on here already know the perfect bearing for the job.

Could probably bolt that thing straight into the concrete like a jib crane. I remember they had a massive jib crane at Labonte's near the engine dyno room that bolted into the car floor. I guess that's where I'm grabbing the inspiration from for the rotating frame table. I think I'll be looking into it, and taking all the advise I can get on that frame table bearing.

Assuming I don't bounce my dirt bike off too many trees this weekend in WV, I'm sure I'll be wanting to mess around with the design hints when I come back into range of 4G Sunday.

Details to come when I start a thread. There are many companies that will cut/ bend, I just posted on FB groups and had 5-6 offer their services. Going rate is about $7 per bend, $7 per cut, plus materials and freight shipping.

I will never bend another chassis by hand for what I paid, shipped to my door.

I designed a fixture system for my chassis table as well, and had it laser cut from 1/4" p&o, and shipped. Tried cutting on my plasma table and had some repeatability issues, fortunately I used 11ga to test with.

Spent as much or more time designing the fixture as I did chassis. Given; the chassis was in Bendtech and I drew the fixtures in 2D, simply because I'm not 3D fluent yet. So that alone took some time and triple checking to transpose everything into Viacad 2D. But everything lined up well, and wasn't terribly difficult to remove fixture after welding.

But yes, very happy with product. Everything lined up well with engraved joint landings.

Looking forward to the details on that. At that price my first chassis may be closer than I think.

Looking forward to the details on that. At that price my first chassis may be closer than I think.
There are some extenuating circumstances that aided in me getting that particular deal. But, yea, it's good stuff.

I think it would work well to build a frame table similar to what you have built. I totally dig that multi-functional bolt on setup. When I used to do chassis work for Terry Labonte, we used these big heavy, long and wide, chassis tables. Among other things, just the footprint of those tables get on my nerves. I think it would be effective to design a multi-functional bolt on frame table with a small foot print similar to the one you have, but possibly improve on it. I think I would want to make it rotate around, and around on some sort of huge bearing. Maybe like a semi truck wheel bearing or something. Maybe like a bearing that those circular rides at the fair use. Probably put some sort of locking mechanism on it, so it can rotate, and then lock down. Of course, it would take some sort of low profile T or H shape lower frame that touched the ground. You may like the idea, and look into modifying yours, or might not care, but I bet some of the guys on here already know the perfect bearing for the job.

Could probably bolt that thing straight into the concrete like a jib crane. I remember they had a massive jib crane at Labonte's near the engine dyno room that bolted into the car floor. I guess that's where I'm grabbing the inspiration from for the rotating frame table. I think I'll be looking into it, and taking all the advise I can get on that frame table bearing.

Assuming I don't bounce my dirt bike off too many trees this weekend in WV, I'm sure I'll be wanting to mess around with the design hints when I come back into range of 4G Sunday.
My system allows me to cycle the suspension at my intended wheel base. There are some additions coming to it as well.

Must have a big shop to rotate 12-16' off chassis. I intend to fixture a rotisserie to the table soon for final welding of future chassis. Weld out, with the chair in one spot...

I actually had two everlast water cooled machines set up on each side of this unit, so all I had to to do was walk to other side, rather than drag hoses and pedals all day
093211cbc1f9374d1ea33b290423d409.jpg

Last edited:

FYI. A typical Thursday night in Kings Moutainstan includes Cutler cruising by my crib for supper on his way home.
He talks about radius bends, link geometry, roll axis and more shit that's WAY over my head.
I just nod my head and agree.
Because his shit just flat out works.
I'm fine just being the cook...

Kinda like Steven Segal ya know.

FYI. A typical Thursday night in Kings Moutainstan includes Cutler cruising by my crib for supper on his way home.
He talks about radius bends, link geometry, roll axis and more shit that's WAY over my head.

Good stuff indeed

Thinkin I'm big on this rotating frame table idea. If it included a rotisserie, that would be extravagantly awesome. I've always thought me and Matt could build some cool stuff together, but we'll just call that not the case. Might as well have fun on the internet I guess.

My system allows me to cycle the suspension at my intended wheel base. There are some additions coming to it as well.

Must have a big shop to rotate 12-16' off chassis. I intend to fixture a rotisserie to the table soon for final welding of future chassis. Weld out, with the chair in one spot...

I actually had two everlast water cooled machines set up on each side of this unit, so all I had to to do was walk to other side, rather than drag hoses and pedals all day
093211cbc1f9374d1ea33b290423d409.jpg

Always fun to have good equipment to work with. I've never used that particular brand of welder, but a water cooled combo like you have looks like it's hard to beat. I like inverter welders. Their easy to move around. Always have a heartfelt for the little water cooling machines they match with. I feel like they produce a some extra play. Basically, you have 60 hertz of electricity coming out of the plug on the wall. The inverter type welder amplifies the hertz to probably 400 hertz or something. I've found that the extra hertz allow for more strategic puddle placement. Maybe more importantly, I also believe that some of the more strategic, well known "badass" welders I know, don't know how to tap a welding machine. Guaranteed, I know people trying to figure out the difference between a Dynasty 200 and a Dynasty 700. Never rolling over 175 amps, they'll boast the 700 machine welds better. It's ridiculous. I think the inverter welders use less electricity than the transformer welders. I have a big badass, old 1995 transformer welder or something corner model syncrowave 351, and the only way I can figure to make it work better is to put a longer lead on it than the 25 foot lead I have on it now.

Thinkin I'm big on this rotating frame table idea. If it included a rotisserie, that would be extravagantly awesome. I've always thought me and Matt could build some cool stuff together, but we'll just call that not the case. Might as well have fun on the internet I guess.

Alright David... I have some thoughts and constructive criticism for you; I'm not better than anyone and don't pretend to be, but I have a love for the sport and its progression, and as a business person, making my customers happy with a durable, unique product, that absolutely works as intended, and that they can call their own. I'm extremely fortunate to have clients and friends that understand this is not my full-time day job and are willing to work with my schedule of shop time to get their projects complete.

I won't pretend I know your living/familial/career or financial situation. But that said, I truly believe you have some great talent, some of it tapped and some yet to be applied. I also believe you may be of extreme high intelligence and somewhat of a savant; evident in some of your cryptic one-liners, and out of order thoughts and posts. But what you lack is the ability to apply your talent in a cohesive manner, unable to go from your brain to a finished product. I know it to be true that you can indeed weld unicorn farts to rainbows; but I'm not sure you understand all the knowledge of fusing metal. I think you have a knack for making working models in 3D, but have difficulty creating them in real life. You have had great opportunities with your fab school education, and worked for some accomplished and reputable people and shops, with some great, real world racing opportunity. But you are a drama magnet of your own creation.

But my main questions are;

This D-6 whatever it is... it is a +$100g project in materials alone, $175g + with labor. I know this because mine will about 75% of that, and I'm not using a >$25motor/trans package or near 15g shock package. But I am using a near 30g axle package, 6g tire/wheel, 10g motor package, 3g tcase, 3g trans, 5g chassis/fixture, 2.5g radiator, 7g shock pkg, 1.5g, seats, 4g steering, blah blah blah...it is MY forever buggy and the test mule for my chassis line, so to me its a worthy personal investment.

-is this a personal project or for a customer? Or is this just an internet group brainstorm build with pipe dreams and pretty 3d pics...

-Frankly it's no ones business how you pay for a build or who pays for it (aside that the folks who have had less than stellar luck with your services, may feel different)....until you post it on a public forum...with lots of free advice...

-Where do you intend to do this massive project? Do you have a shop space? Do you have the moderate tooling to tackle this size of endeavor, or will you farm it out? Or will you engage/co-op someone to buy tools, rent space, or overlook invoices from the companies that you farm out too- all in the name of them getting a finished product, maybe. Your track record has some blemishes. I sincerely hope you have things on the up and up.

-If this thread is simply a pipe dream, brain pool, then the thread should just state that. We've all seen this from you before. You are not instilling confidence in your intentions yet.

Again, no trying to break you down. Just stating facts, with honest questions; this is a public forum.

And BTW; we may could have possibly built something together; you were supposed to come have a chat in February, and never heard from you again. But in all honesty, you bring nothing to the table but your welding aptitude and welding is only 10% of what actually happens in a fab shop. Your history gives you a serious black eye. I would not hire you because I don't need a dreamer in my shop, who would just wish to use my space for your own intentions, and I certainly need zero drama in my backyard. The only dreamer I can afford is me. I need someone who wants to learn, work for near nothing for a minute until I can turn my back with trust, to do something else; preferably a 20 something with no dependents that can afford to learn.

Good luck with D-6.

Last edited:
I've got nothing but compliments for ya Matt! Give it hell, LOL

I will.

Pretty much the response I expected; not even a recognizance of anything I stated. That's good, right inline with your past debauchery. Hopefully I can return at some point and see a true project when parts start hitting the floor, I'll then respectfully retract anything that may be damning. But what I really want to see is your first happy customer.

I was able to get two of the standard issue Moto-Bilt welding tables lined up in the shop towards the side of my rotating frame table to potentially build some fixtures for my control arms. I could move the tables 3 to 5 feet closer to the car because it rotates on a frame table bearing.

welding tables 1.jpg

welding tables 2.jpg

welding tables 3.jpg

welding tables 4.jpg

welding tables 5.jpg

welding tables 7.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the first page and was gonna chime in that I have an Currie IFS center section I'd sell you...but it looks like it's an imaginary build? I'm not clicking through it all. Hit me up if you're interested in purchasing. 934 35 spline outters. Don't know that it'll handle your 1150 hp engine you eluded to or whatever though.

Back to post in the for sale section...

Back