D-6

Griffin Radiator says that radiator is good for 850.
Doubtful... maybe in a traditional front mounted, grill area, clean air placement. Certainly not in the orientation you have it drawn in.

... and I say this, having just had one designed and built by C&R racing, for 600hp max, behind the seat placement in a dedicated crawler, in their wind tunnel dyno, 31x19... again 31x19

With dual spal brushless fans operating on a pulse width modulator... cost as much as the CNC cut/ bent chromoly chassis...
7662d10c24871928f5555f77e4cdefce.jpg
fb6749f24bfb46163fc3005206404f53.jpg
de89f3ecae845cdc676f885e9d9bf7f3.jpg
d0cc13dd7b7cf9c5e842a9b7446cc98b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When you 3D model the cardboard and landscape timber...please remember the subtle variations from perfectly straight
How many times have I heard an engineer say "but it worked on the model!" in my professional career.... :lol:

For the Chromoly chassis are you going to heat treat to relieve stress and normalize all the tubes/joints? I'd be curious where around here would be able to handle that large of a project.

Edit- Assumed 4130 tubes but didn't re-read to verify.
No need to heat treat or stress relieve any chromo tubing under .120... buuuut filler selection for no heat treat is er70s-2. For the parts going to HT/SR, er80s-D2. My recent study and research to build chromoly links; 2"x.250 4130, chromoly thread bungs, er80s-D2, induction HT, 1100, and stress relief; Rockwell hardness target 40-45; $225 per 100lb.

Many builders of varying professions get by with super missile and 309 or 312 SS filler... it's all a matter of parent metal and filler dilution.

Last edited:
I wish I could weld everything with super missile. On the chassis, I wonder if S-2 would be good for a root pass, and mix it with super missile on the cover pass.

I wish I could weld everything with super missile. On the chassis, I wonder if S-2 would be good for a root pass, and mix it with super missile on the cover pass.
Frank Fleurquin (geiser), Michael Furick, Eli Lattin, and many others... straight er70s2.

Frank double pass everything.
Eli, single pass, but most of his cart chassis pieces are 063.
Furick, under <120 single pass >120 dbl.

I feel like Erik Eickhoff probably uses a austenetic ss cover.

FWIW, I've had one on one class with Furick, Lattin, and Mark Winchester; with specifics on precision tig. I'm not there yet, but getting close... always the student.

All these are root/ cover.

1bf1e9fd773554cd5634978fba71b3ec.jpg
a374a1a70b56d9f8a793cd0ee8e285a5.jpg
8a31545ebdaf0c7dbfc5f7af3294c5ff.jpg
93deae0e3e5280860e7b578e5fb7f082.jpg
d3a27a95e9a31cde49e4f79e1e8ccfe6.jpg
bd3aedbad13ed2806f82eed68f10283a.jpg
0f387cb2b555f82b371b98aabdf8846c.jpg

Doubtful... maybe in a traditional front mounted, grill area, clean air placement. Certainly not in the orientation you have it drawn in.

... and I say this, having just had one designed and built by C&R racing, for 600hp max, behind the seat placement in a dedicated crawler, in their wind tunnel dyno, 31x19... again 31x19

With dual spal brushless fans operating on a pulse width modulator... cost as much as the CNC cut/ bent chassis...
7662d10c24871928f5555f77e4cdefce.jpg
fb6749f24bfb46163fc3005206404f53.jpg
de89f3ecae845cdc676f885e9d9bf7f3.jpg
d0cc13dd7b7cf9c5e842a9b7446cc98b.jpg

Holy shit!

No need to heat treat or stress relieve any chromo tubing under .120... buuuut filler selection for no heat treat is er70s-2. For the parts going to HT/SR, er80s-D2. My recent study and research to build chromoly links; 2"x.250 4130, chromoly thread bungs, er80s-D2, induction HT, 1100, and stress relief; Rockwell hardness target 40-45; $225 per 100lb.

Many builders of varying professions get by with super missile and 309 or 312 SS filler... it's all a matter of parent metal and filler dilution.

Right because heat treat is for a to part to reach the best possible outcome. Dilluted 70 series allows elasticity and parent material dillution to fight any possible haz effects. Such as quicker cooling and or over temp embrittlement....also related to cooling cycle.

Now D2 80 series is a metalurgical blend capable of closer match in tensile........so for the full effect normalize and treat. Best of everything. Any stresses that where induced are now canceled. Which is what non treated 70 series welds mask through ductility of a diluted weldment.

I'm glad this thread drew @mcutler out to drop some knowledge bombs as a reminder of the resources on here

Thanks Matt
Beetle juice... beetle juice... beetle juice[emoji1787]

Beetle juice... beetle juice... beetle juice[emoji1787]

I miss the days when Matt, PJ, Jim, Chris and Alex were routinely engaged and making us all drool...(I’m sure I just offended 3 people by forgetting them and I’m sorry)

I miss the days when Matt, PJ, Jim, Chris and Alex were routinely engaged and making us all drool...(I’m sure I just offended 3 people by forgetting them and I’m sorry)
I'm still here. China virus slowed my summer work in the shop; kids home schooling and no summer child care, wife working, recycle biz busy... they started back 4 days last week. Cutlerfab thread will be revived soon. Turning two loose soon, bringing two more in for finishing. Then hammer down on #001 CF chassis.

It's good having great clients/ friends.

Thanks Ron.

Thanks @mcutler. Today I learned: chromoly isn't as picky as I had heard.
It's still picky, lol. It loves the heat! Have to plan for draw/shrinkage, wait for cooling between legs... I've learned the hard way, get in a groove or get in a hurry, or your 45 yr old abs give out, welding bottom of the roof X, standing on one leg leaning over the door bar, while pumping one foot on the pedal... I make myself weld out-of-position, to get better in all positions. Welding on the bench is gravy.

Whether this thread is a dream build or legit or just for trolling, it’s got some damn good info in and with @mcutler showing up, it’s probably going to get better. No offense to @MetalCraftSolved but that guy knows his stuff through and through. If he says do this or that, I’d listen. Although improvement comes from challenge.
I appreciate that, but David knows how to whip a tig torch, aesthetically far more consistent than my dabs. David has some catching/making up to do, and he knows it. I hope he has his game face on and get 'er done pants on. I'm far from perfect in business and or fab, but I learn everyday; I hope David has too.

No disrespect intended.

I appreciate that, but David knows how to whip a tig torch, aesthetically far more consistent than my dabs. David has some catching/making up to do, and he knows it. I hope he has his game face on and get 'er done pants on. I'm far from perfect in business and or fab, but I learn everyday; I hope David has too.

No disrespect intended.

Right on man, and like I said, improvements come from challenge, and a man who knows all learns nothing.

You are now being took to school,
By a Jedi Master.
Learn well, or fail.
Yo Matt!

No disrespect intended.

This is exactly where I am.
The past is the past. It doesn’t go away but it doesn’t have to define tomorrow either.

I hope it’s a new day and D shows what he’s capable of. I’m pulling for him.

Back