D-6

If there is one doc in the world rich enough, passionate enough about off roading, and dare I say it - crazy enough to pay David to build an offroad car for him...it can only be Nazir, right?

I have eternal respect and gratitude for him. I hope it's not. For his sake. But I mean it sort of has to be, right?

He's short enough to fit in the cab.

I'll build some more straight axle ones. It's ok if they go other places to get finished. Not going to attempt to build anything at 10-15 hours a week anymore. It's too stressful. I need to finish my IFS car design before we can go full time. The D-6 sits a 6 ft tall driver at the moment. I've been thinking about raising the roof some more.

The last pair seemed like a deal a lot of people weren't ok with?

I'm not a PR guy. There is a huge gap between what I believe and what the public believes. We're trying to close the gap. I'm going to put the right people in position to handle the situation.

Last edited:
I was able to tinker with this trailing arm a little bit this week, but Saturday is usually my most productive day drawing. Alright, so what I've done here is I've gotten rid of the heavy wall tube design trailing arm, and the heavy billet idea. I can build this trailing arm setup solely relying on the Motobilt laser and press brake.

trailing arms 15.jpg

trailing arms 16.jpg

trailing arms 17.jpg

trailing arms 18.jpg

trailing arms 19.jpg

trailing arms 20.jpg

I was able to tinker with this trailing arm a little bit this week, but Saturday is usually my most productive day drawing. Alright, so what I've done here is I've gotten rid of the heavy wall tube design trailing arm, and the heavy billet idea. I can build this trailing arm setup solely relying on the Motobilt laser and press brake.

View attachment 338274

View attachment 338275

View attachment 338276

View attachment 338277

View attachment 338278

View attachment 338279
Dang man, I have a pair of those Ironman underwear too!
trailing arms 15.jpg

That trailing arm looks cool and all, but it seems massively over-complicated, which means it's probably much heavier than a simpler design. The thing that strikes me about this: You don't want to make it from tubing, so you designed it with....fabricated tubing instead.

Is there anything preventing you from making it narrower and deeper, instead of wide and flat? Wide and flat is not especially efficient when you're making something loaded primarily in bending. Wide and flat can work, but it has to be far heavier than needed to compensate in bending. Think about why a tall-narrow beam section is stronger in bending than a shallow-wide beam section.

It's only job is to be strong and stiff in bending, so that's where the design needs to be. The tension/compression and minor torsion is pretty trivial when it's got enough bending strength. You need a beam that has damper mounts inside it, as the base functionality.

Last edited:
That trailing arm looks cool and all, but it seems massively over-complicated, which means it's probably much heavier than a simpler design. The thing that strikes me about this: You don't want to make it from tubing, so you designed it with....fabricated tubing.

Is there anything preventing you from making it narrower and deeper, instead of wide and flat? Wide and flat is not especially efficient when you're making something loaded primarily in bending. Wide and flat can work, but it has to be far heavier than needed to compensate in bending. Think about why a tall-narrow beam section is stronger in bending than a shallow-wide beam section.

It's only job is to be strong and stiff in bending, so that's where the design needs to be. The tension/compression and minor torsion is pretty trivial when it's got enough bending strength.

I think if it was narrower and deeper, it would drag more boudlers. The design theory would concern keeping the lower shock eye below the center line of the trailing arm like it is. Over complicated is subjective. From a shock tuning aspect, I can pull and install these shocks quicker with the overhauled design.

Given, this is the first iteration. Feel like I've either got it, or close to nailing it. I didn't design it to look cool. I feel like it's based off complete function. Could be updated though.

Last edited:
I think if it was narrower and deeper, it would drag more boudlers. The design theory would concern keeping the lower shock eye below the center line of the trailing arm like it is. Over complicated is subjective. From a shock tuning aspect, I can pull these shocks quicker with the overhauled design.
Deeper toward the roofline (top side), not toward the ground plane. There shouldn't be boulders on the top of the trailing arm. ;)

Back