Daughters 2014 Nissan Altima has left her stranded

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
Being 3 hrs away at UNCW sucks in times like this

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5s +/-36k
Daughter left friday to go down to New Bern for a few days before heading back to UNCW. Gets to KINSTON and her car dies. Will start, but as soon as you put it in gear it dies.
Had AAA tow it to Firestone in Kinston. They looked at it saturday but couldn't determine what the deal was. Their "computer expert" wasn't in till today. He calls at 11 to tell me "I can't get it to replicate the problem. Car starts and drives just fine. No codes, sorry, come get it"

So she gets it....10 minutes later she calls: "10 minutes down the road, it's "bogging" when it's in gear, but if you give it enough gas it will power thru it"

Does this sound like a MAP sensor? That shitty CCV tranny? VVT?

I told her to take to the Nissan dealer in Wilmington (if she can make it)

Any better suggestions?

If it's a 2014, the dealer sounds like the quickest and best path-to-ground to get it fixed remotely from across the state.

Do you think this is anything temperature related, like it's only doing this when the engine is fully warmed up?

Last edited:
Do you think this is anything temperature related, like it's only doing this when the engine is fully warmed up?

It started doing it after 3 hrs of hiway when she came to the first stop light. Then it died. Today it only started after they got at least 10 minutes away and came to another stop. Apparently if you keep the revs up it will power through the bog and stay running

There's a Nissan dealer in New Bern and if you ever need anything around New Bern, just give me a holler.

Cam or crank sensor?? Would be random like this if the engine will rev while running up to 2k rpm I'd think maf is ok, seems like issue my uncle had in his Altima. I believe his was a fuel injector tho! But I'm no tech lol

If it's a 2014, the dealer sounds like the quickest and best path-to-ground to get it fixed remotely from across the state.

She made it :rockon: and the drivetrain is under warranty so it's their baby :huggy:

Glad she made it. Firestone in Kinston is probably the worse place to go. Went there to get a leaking valve stem replaced while working in Kinston. Insisted on removing tire and rebalancing. Never got the balance correct. When I went back to complain they had 3 sales people out front and 1 tech in service. Four hour wait. Never ever again.

That was one of those "Caught me off guard" moments where my babygirl was on the side of the road 3 hrs from home "lets get her to whatever I can" deals.

I'm not sure I've ever even BEEN thru Kinston, let alone know that the heck is even DOWN there. Thankfully she had help and a ride to get to her friends in New Bern. The AAA driver WAS going to take it to some "Auto Mall" place, until he pulled up and it was abandoned and looked like the business went under in 2004 :eek: That's where firestone came into play.

Not sure what I was expecting once the kids started leaving home for college. Part of me was anxious because the boy chose to go 3hrs WEST and the girl chose to go 3 hrs EAST and if the SHTF here I am BETWEEN them....and the other part was HOPING I'd armed them with enough awareness to take care of themselves. Thankfully my girl proved she's capable :smokin:

I appreciate all the help from everyone!

Glad she made it! I woulda been in my truck on the way if I got the call if that was one of my nieces bahaha!! I'm bat shit crazy tho!! Let us know what was causing the issue I've got a few family members with 2010+ nissans!!

Kinston pretty much sucks, but at least she was on the highway. I'm also not sure why you'd be in Kinston if you were headed to New Bern from Wilmington, but whatever :D

Now it all makes sense!

had a similar issue with my 16 altima. Ended up being fitzer valve in the tranny. Forget exactly what it was but it was some plastic POS in there.
61k on the co car and they didn't warranty it. BS but the fleet guy said that's normal.

So it's been at the Nissan dealer in Wilmington for a week now, and they can't get it to stall. It will come CLOSE but won't completely stall.

Mechanic says it's the transmission. Nissan USA has to authorize that kind of warranty and they WON'T without a code or without video proof of it STALLING.

Service writer just called to tell me they're still trying to get video of it stalling or at least get it to throw a code. :shaking:

Same shit at stealership with my moms equinox so after she went up there twice and they couldn't duplicate the issue but car ran like shit I told em to do their damn job and diagnose it instead of replicating it, needless to say after they put computer and played for hours they found cam sensor was not sending the right volts and never threw a single code! that shit pisses me off but I understand that it's hard to solve a puzzle if you can't see the pieces... I'd tell em you want to trade it in lmao since no problems with it they can find! Haha

So 2 weeks later.....same shit. Contacted NissanUSA and got a Liaison for my case. They called today and said "tough shit"

Waiting to hear from the service manager

That's some bs... I'd seriously take it home bring it back next day and go for a trade in!? It's low miles too ain't it?

Back