Dicks

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by /dev/yj, Oct 8, 2019.

1. /dev/yj

/dev/yj Ralph Graw

2. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    josh m, JSJJ388, Tim C and 1 other person like this.
  3. Curtis_H

Curtis_H Well-Known Member

Dicks is the parent company to field and stream. Did they stop selling guns also. If not seems to me they are still profiting off of gun sales and this is more a publicity thing.

4. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

@Loganwayne is going to report this post as having a misleading title.

5. obullfish

obullfish Carolina Trail Blazers

I haven’t spent a dime in Dick’s in probably 10 years and don’t plan to.

tknopp and McCracken like this.
  6. Atla

Atla Pew Pew! Vroom Vroom!

What a bunch of dicks.

If I was a share holder, I'd be raising hell about trashing 5 million worth of inventory and driving so many customers away.

7. Atla

tknopp and GONOVRIT like this.
  8. UTfball68

UTfball68 Well-Known Member

Dicks is a $2 Billion...with a B...a year company, $5mil is a rounding error. Like with all of these stunts, people that say they won’t purchase from xyz company any more, probably wasn’t in the first place. And their market performance would suggest Dick’s is actually IMPROVING over the last year, keeping shareholders happy.

Ron, StretchASU and jeepinmatt like this.
  9. Jody Treadway

Good thing I don't like assault rifles, err I mean AR platform weapons or Marlin model 60 squirrell assault rifles

ord.sgt.26NC and CasterTroy like this.
  10. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

:rolleyes: Would you stop with the "fun facts" and get with the general narrative here! Daggone party pooper extraordinaire :huggy:

11. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

If they really did it, then it is impressive that they put their own convictions over profit, but I still kinda wonder if it really happened. I know the CEO said it did, but that is a lot of money to just literally throw away.

jeepinmatt likes this.
  12. Atla

I'm seeing otherwise.

Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO says overhauled gun policies cost the company a quarter of a billion dollars

Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO says overhauled gun policies cost the company a quarter of a billion dollars

EDIT - Ahhh... I didn't read far enough.

The policy changes after Parkland cost the company about a quarter of a billion dollars, Stack told CBS News. (The company has never disclosed what share of its sales come from gun sales alone.) For the fiscal year ending Feb. 2, 2019, same-store sales fell 3.1%, according to company earnings, with Stack blaming much of the slump on gun issues. Customers boycotted the company, and more than 60 employees quit.

But there’s evidence of a turnaround. In August, Dick’s announced that same-store sales jumped 3.2% in the second quarter -- its strongest showing since 2016 -- and the company raised its full-year guidance.

Edit 2 - Personally, I haven't shopped either place since they pulled AR's. Granted, I've enough of them that I don't need to shop there, and I can find them cheaper elsewhere if I could find room in my gun safe... but I used to visit DICK's fairly often for sports attire and F&S for ammo. Now I buy online or at local gun stores.

13. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

I pretty much only shop at Dick's for baseball stuff. Namely baseball pants. Actually, almost exclusively baseball pants. All the rest of their baseball gear is overpriced and their baseballs are shitty cork junk that we smash oblong after like 4 cage sessions. :lol:

14. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

This.
    Keep in mind - it's very normal for retail stores to have products that they can't sell for whatever reason, and have to be destroyed, donated, sold off at a loss, whatever. Things are always having to go in order to make room for new stock.
    $5m spread across teh hundreds of stores Dicks owns is nothing, really, and probably just a blip in the normal ebb and flow of product loss cost.

Plus, keep in mind that for every 2A supporter that is pissed off and swears never to go again... there are as many, if not more folks who admire the stance and suddenly find teh store more attractive. So it's really more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Announcing "Hey, look, we took this oh-so-giant loss just to stick to our principles" is basically a writeoff on the annual PR campaign.

Here's a fun question that really shows where their interest is - what happened to all the associated ammo?

jeepinmatt likes this.
  15. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

Likely donated to police so they can use it to kill your dog while responding to the wrong home for a warrant

awheelterd, Ron, Jason W. and 4 others like this.
  16. RatLabGuy

How much does a good PR campaign cost a multi-Billion dollar company?

kaiser715 likes this.
  17. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Thanks goodness I wasn't drinking coffee, or it would have been on my desk. (Quote also embellished for effect)

77GreenMachine, CasterTroy and RHSCTJ like this.
  18. superman27344

That's a good point, maybe the $5million is cheaper than the PR Campaign.

19. Jody Treadway

Chic Fil A did that and the left is all crappy about it.

Hypocritical much over there?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Hitdogg likes this.
  20. superman27344

Chic Fil A threw away some chicken? Dont tell me shit like that. I almost cried when I found out that the donuts that dont get plucked off and sold when the hot now sign is on at Krispy Creme go straight in the trash can.

jeepinmatt and Jody Treadway like this.
  21. RatLabGuy

OMG.
    You just ruined my morning.

superman27344 likes this.
  22. Jody Treadway

I'm referring to them being closed on Sundays and also their convictions as far as where and to whom they donate their $$$.
    My point is the left cheers when Dicks' convictions align with their own desires but shame of CFA when theirs don't.

ManglerYJ and 77GreenMachine like this.
  23. superman27344

Oh ok. Well on that note, there are people on the right that complain when a company does what Dicks claims to have done. Dont forget how many people on the right lost their minds over Benchmade assisting law enforcement in destroying guns. Also the people on the right who complain every time a store announces something anti gun or anti conservative views. I think your point can be made about both sides equally.

jeepinmatt and Jody Treadway like this.
  24. superman27344

I know right. Its true though. I found out one night at the Krispy Creme in High Point. I was eating a couple dozen hot now plain glazed when I looked at the conveyor belt. I saw the ones dropping into a trash can. I asked the lady working why, and she said they wouldnt be able to store and sell them all so its just easier to throw them away. It was a sad night for me.

25. UTfball68

UTfball68 Well-Known Member

So in the wake of the whole Ellen DeG(howeveryouspelltherestofhername) and her 'Be Kind to everyone even if they don't hold the same view as you' speech. Does shit like this really matter??? I can't remember the last time I stepped foot in a Dick's Sporting goods...but if they had something I needed, who gives a damn what their political stance is or what they sell, that's their prerogative. I can get along with people and support people even if we're 100% opposites...doesn't mean I don't like them if we don't see eye to eye. I like guns, if Dick's had a sale on a golf club I wanted to buy, I'd buy it. I'm pro life, but am friends with people that have gotten abortions. I can go on and on with examples, but I guess ultimately what I'm getting at is, I don't look at these events as that big of a deal. I just feel all too often people feel obligated to pick a side for nothing else than because social media and mob mentality tells you to.

fourtrax, awheelterd, Ron and 7 others like this.