Do you work for fun???

2 weeks bump.

Made the commitment to work on projects at least 30mn every day no matter what. Logic is, if I start, I'll do more than 30mn since starting is the hard part.

Made it happen so far. Most of the days I put in more than 30mn because I had started already.

I also spend less time in front of my phone thanks to this.

I'll try to keep this topic updated. Some accountability from my fake internet friends won't hurt. See if I can make it for a while, and hopefully it'll become a habit.

People like @Chris_Keziah have my utmost respect. Not easy to do this every day after work to the point it makes more sense to quit your day job and switch over.

Month later bump...

Well, that didn't last very long. Was doing good until I had to leave the routine for a few days bc of work.

I'm gonna try to go back to it. Spent some time in the shop yesterday and will do the same today.

Month later bump...

Well, that didn't last very long. Was doing good until I had to leave the routine for a few days bc of work.

I'm gonna try to go back to it. Spent some time in the shop yesterday and will do the same today.
I wake up two hours before I need to get ready for work every day so that I can spend one hour in the garage working on stuff. That's the only way I've gotten anything done.

I wake up two hours before I need to get ready for work every day so that I can spend one hour in the garage working on stuff. That's the only way I've gotten anything done.
I live 30mn one way away from my shop. And it's in the opposite direction from work.
But I like your idea.

I live 30mn one way away from my shop. And it's in the opposite direction from work.
But I like your idea.
This is the biggest thing. Lower the threshold to start the job. But doesn’t sound like that’s an option.
I’m jealous of you. I wake up 2 hours early for work so I can be awake by the time I get to work.

I’m jealous of you. I wake up 2 hours early for work so I can be awake by the time I get to work.
A few years ago I would wake up just in time to eat breakfast, dress for work, then hit the road. I started getting drug down, unhappy with the small amount of 'me' time I had and even more unhappy with the smaller amount of time I got to spend on hobbies.
After thinking on it for a few weeks, I realized that I didn't want to sacrifice my time from my kids during the day or my time with the wife at night once the kids were asleep, so the only other part of the day to "gain" time was early in the morning.
It took maybe a month of being very diligent with the alarm but now it's my most cherished part of the day.

A few years ago I would wake up just in time to eat breakfast, dress for work, then hit the road. I started getting drug down, unhappy with the small amount of 'me' time I had and even more unhappy with the smaller amount of time I got to spend on hobbies.
After thinking on it for a few weeks, I realized that I didn't want to sacrifice my time from my kids during the day or my time with the wife at night once the kids were asleep, so the only other part of the day to "gain" time was early in the morning.
It took maybe a month of being very diligent with the alarm but now it's my most cherished part of the day.
Man, This is what I need to do. I wake up with just enough time to get myself and help get my 3 year old ready for daycare, but it always feels like the sleep is the best early in the morning...

Does cleaning up public boat ramps count?
IMG_20220304_182635_hdr.jpg

So did you start going to bed earlier? I already don't get enough sleep, so I can't imagine getting up earlier and getting less sleep.

So did you start going to bed earlier? I already don't get enough sleep, so I can't imagine getting up earlier and getting less sleep.

Same here, I’m easily up until 1-2am. Up at 7, snuggle the kids on the couch as they wake up, help get them ready for their day, get them some breakfast, wife takes them off to school…then I get ready and usually head to the office at 9. Leave the office around 7-8ish. Dinner, kids baths, snuggle the kids, put them to bed at 9ish. Work on the honey-do list (unfortunately that’s not a euphemism), get a little reading in until I pass out…then do it all again. Edit…I’ve thought hiring a life coach just to pick out the flaws of my routine and schedule would be a worthy investment, but not sure I’m ready to give up NC4X4 yet.

Same here, I’m easily up until 1-2am. Up at 7, snuggle the kids on the couch as they wake up, help get them ready for their day, get them some breakfast, wife takes them off to school…then I get ready and usually head to the office at 9. Leave the office around 7-8ish. Dinner, kids baths, snuggle the kids, put them to bed at 9ish. Work on the honey-do list (unfortunately that’s not a euphemism), get a little reading in until I pass out…then do it all again. Edit…I’ve thought hiring a life coach just to pick out the flaws of my routine and schedule would be a worthy investment, but not sure I’m ready to give up NC4X4 yet.
Wake up at 6 when the wife's alarm goes off, go pee like old man. Wake up at 6:05 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:10 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:15 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:20 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:25 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up, then start an argument with her because now theres no time to go back to sleep. Wake up at 6:35 when MY alarm goes off and get out of bed. Go wake up kid #1 and cuddle for 5 min. Out of bed at 6:40, lay back down for 15 minutes so I don't have to wait on kid for 15 minutes once im ready to leave... get up at 6:55, business, shower, clothes, roll out the door at 7:10, drop-off kid 7:15-7:20, get to work 7:50-8ish, work til 5-5:30, home around 6-6:30, work on stuff or play with kids, dinner at 8, home work at 8:30, kids bed at 9, kids actually in bed at 10, shower, time with wife for an hour, bed around 11:30. Repeat.

Yes, I'm a little resentful of the wife's alarm. :mad:

I’m out by 11, which isn’t a change from before, I just started waking up earlier.

I lost the ability to be a night owl in my mid/late 20s.
I still gravitate towards night owl, but need more sleep these days. I often go to bed at 11:30ish on Friday and don't wake up until 9:15 on Saturday.

Ha…I’m that guy though, too. My alarms start going off at 6:06…and every 6 minutes thereafter. The minutes have to be divisible by the hour though, because I’m civilized like that.

Some good stuff in here. Thanks for sharing, guys.

I usually wake up at 6am, start work at 7am, leave around 4.30pm and go to bed at 11.30pm, rince repeat.

When I first read this I left out the comma between shower and time. I thought, that lucky bastard!
Soapy, slippery boobs are fun to rub on.

When I first read this I left out the comma between shower and time. I thought, that lucky bastard!
Yeah, that would be nice. Unfortunately that’s not quite how it works.

Yeah, that would be nice. Unfortunately that’s not quite how it works.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I need the stars to align for that to work. Wife has to have had the proper amount of sauce first and foremost, not too much, not too little. She also has to have done enough work during the day to warrant a shower before bed, but not so much to be the dreaded "too tired". It's a damn tough needle to thread.

Wake up at 6 when the wife's alarm goes off, go pee like old man. Wake up at 6:05 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:10 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:15 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:20 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up. Wake up at 6:25 when the wife's snoozed alarm goes off, tell her to get up, then start an argument with her because now theres no time to go back to sleep. Wake up at 6:35 when MY alarm goes off and get out of bed. Go wake up kid #1 and cuddle for 5 min. Out of bed at 6:40, lay back down for 15 minutes so I don't have to wait on kid for 15 minutes once im ready to leave... get up at 6:55, business, shower, clothes, roll out the door at 7:10, drop-off kid 7:15-7:20, get to work 7:50-8ish, work til 5-5:30, home around 6-6:30, work on stuff or play with kids, dinner at 8, home work at 8:30, kids bed at 9, kids actually in bed at 10, shower, time with wife for an hour, bed around 11:30. Repeat.

This pretty much describes my day to a freeken T! Damn scary close, even the times!

A bit off of the original topic but I saw one of the doctors at one of my properties today eating lunch outside so I stopped to say a quick hello and he is always very nice and asked how my son is doing (He's a pediatrician) (my son is 24 but he remembers him well) (and doc is a cool guy in general) and we were talking and I asked about the original doc who started the practice because I did work for him 40 years ago and he has almost quit doctoring and is making muffins and selling online and is killing it! lol Probably the best part of my day looking back

Back from the dead!

@jeepinmatt Has your alarm clock situation improved any? Earplugs are the way my friend.
Yes, now it goes off at 6 and she gets up typically before the first snooze. Not really sure what changed, but im sure it was a result of nothing that I did.

Back