Documentary YJ Build

Lol I have no room for my family and cooler with dry ice. A little floor insulation should do.

Well I went to AOP several weeks ago and broke a rear shaft 20 minutes into the first trail, wasn’t even beating on it. I found a place called Hudlow Axle & 4x4 40 minutes away in GA and went to grab a shaft. I got 2 cause the drivers side was also twisted when we pulled it out.
$150 later and lots of work I was back on the trail only to repeat the same. Passenger side axle let go instantly. I had 1541H shafts and these were all stock so they didn’t stand a chance. I called it a weekend then and rode passenger, then drive and rolled @cufor98 Jeep for him. Good times.

Fast forward to last week. I finally got around to fixing it and since I bought so much dang stuff recently I decided to go back with the 31 spline 1541H shafts cause I was too poor for the 35 spline and the spool I needed. ECGS was kind enough time give me the ol’ NC4x4 discount and all. But when they arrived they were 35 spline. I called and they said “our mistake, just keep them and we will change your paperwork and you get a 10 year warranty” freakin awesome right?

But then I needed the spool to go with it so they again hooked me up with an amazing price.

So then, like I should have done before hand, I take the rear apart only to find my 3rd member was trashed and it blew the caps out the back. So, the wife is really happy at this point cause I’m already $500 into this repair. I debate selling everything cause this is a stupid hobby. I mean really, it’d be cheaper to do drugs, or maybe even burn money for entertainment.

But, I dig a little deeper and pony up for ANOTHER call to ECGS and get a Yukon Nodular 3rd to go with my Yukon shafts and spool.

THIS IS A STUPID HOBBY.
CE29A57B-906F-4670-94D0-AFC1B38D9E45.jpeg
947E209D-AE54-4DB2-8C8C-F57DF99695EA.jpeg
AAF736F7-66CC-4D7F-BBDF-B60C15C679EA.jpeg

I’ll be heading over to Rev Limit Fab Sunday to the assemble the 3rd, and press the new axle bearing on.

Well I went to AOP several weeks ago and broke a rear shaft 20 minutes into the first trail, wasn’t even beating on it. I found a place called Hudlow Axle & 4x4 40 minutes away in GA and went to grab a shaft. I got 2 cause the drivers side was also twisted when we pulled it out.
$150 later and lots of work I was back on the trail only to repeat the same. Passenger side axle let go instantly. I had 1541H shafts and these were all stock so they didn’t stand a chance. I called it a weekend then and rode passenger, then drive and rolled @cufor98 Jeep for him. Good times.

Fast forward to last week. I finally got around to fixing it and since I bought so much dang stuff recently I decided to go back with the 31 spline 1541H shafts cause I was too poor for the 35 spline and the spool I needed. ECGS was kind enough time give me the ol’ NC4x4 discount and all. But when they arrived they were 35 spline. I called and they said “our mistake, just keep them and we will change your paperwork and you get a 10 year warranty” freakin awesome right?

But then I needed the spool to go with it so they again hooked me up with an amazing price.

So then, like I should have done before hand, I take the rear apart only to find my 3rd member was trashed and it blew the caps out the back. So, the wife is really happy at this point cause I’m already $500 into this repair. I debate selling everything cause this is a stupid hobby. I mean really, it’d be cheaper to do drugs, or maybe even burn money for entertainment.

But, I dig a little deeper and pony up for ANOTHER call to ECGS and get a Yukon Nodular 3rd to go with my Yukon shafts and spool.

THIS IS A STUPID HOBBY.
View attachment 321175 View attachment 321176 View attachment 321177

I’ll be heading over to Rev Limit Fab Sunday to the assemble the 3rd, and press the new axle bearing on.

Thanks for the structural cage integrity test. It's really awesome to have friends that will put their lives in danger just to test a buddy's rig for his safety and well being. I'm humbled. o_O

Damn dude. You are hard on parts, LOL. If you blow that 9" up, then it is definitely time for a 14 bolt.
I was just gonna say: less skinny pedal, more steering and direction. Unless your just trying to always defy physics? Then more pedal, parts, and money.......stupid hobby.

Damn dude. You are hard on parts, LOL. If you blow that 9" up, then it is definitely time for a 14 bolt.

It’s probably already broken again :D

For real. Sell it before you dump anymore money into it and buy your rig on tons and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the structural cage integrity test. It's really awesome to have friends that will put their lives in danger just to test a buddy's rig for his safety and well being. I'm humbled. o_O
#FaintingGoat wanted to end the day w/ somersaults

Honestly both shafts were a fluke, I've seen him absolutely be mean to that thing and it hold together. Pretty sure most of the failures were fatigue related.

It’s probably already broken again :D

For real. Sell it before you dump anymore money into it and buy your rig on tons and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didnt one of his shop mates just sell some cheap tons that would have easily swapped in?

Honestly both shafts were a fluke, I've seen him absolutely be mean to that thing and it hold together. Pretty sure most of the failures were fatigue related.

They likely broken due to the destroyed 3rd. Or alteast the 2nd one did.

They likely broken due to the destroyed 3rd. Or alteast the 2nd one did.

Yeah the first I blame on Harlan judging by how much twist was in the other side. The second aint not telling what let go first. Chicken/egg thing, all he got was scrambled parts.

I will second that. Very fatigued after both of us...

There’s no denying I need tons. I drive hard. I’m not into babying things. I try to crawl for a bit, then I try it a little harder, then I really try it.

I can’t justify spending $5-$6k on this rig to swap tons. After this step, I plan to enjoy it another year or two and send it down the road. If I can take the 5-6 I’d spend on tons and add it to the 5-6 I could sell the Jeep for, plus a little more to boot I can buy a rig on tons that’s linked and ready to roll. That’s my plan.

For now this should hold me over for a while, the rear should be solid, and at least for the next little bit I do plan to try to be a LITTLE easier on it. If I can’t crawl it I’ll bump it, and if I can’t bump it pretty hard and make it I’ll pull cable.

For now this should hold me over for a while, the rear should be solid, and at least for the next little bit I do plan to try to be a LITTLE easier on it. If I can’t crawl it I’ll bump it, and if I can’t bump it pretty hard and make it I’ll pull cable.

I’ll believe it when I see it :flipoff2:

My money is you are easy in it at Kairos and then rev limit send in Harlan and more carnage ;)

Pro tip: start with 0.028" on the pinion shim.
Either way, you can ride bitch with me at Harlan if need be. I like the way you caressed my hand when I was using the cutting brake last summer. :p

Ah so thats the key for having your hand held..... cutting brakes.

Back