Documentary YJ Build

So I’m in need of a 31 spline Big bearing 9” carrier if anyone close by has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m in need of a 31 spline Big bearing 9” carrier if anyone close by has one.

@02gmc5.3 has a 9 inch axle. Pretty sure I saw it in the weeds up there a few weeks ago.

14 bolt...
Philip could probably find a cheap carrier and get the 9 inch back together and sell it for what he would have in a 14 bolt swap.
When I was going to part that YJ out, I had a lot of people offering around $500 for the 9 inch cause it was bolt in ready for a YJ.
he would just need to weld centers into two h1’s and reuse his outer rings.

While a 14 bolt is what I’d want in the end, I’m not looking to get into that currently. I like the clearance of the 1/2 ton axles with big tires. Any axle would have broke in that scenario on the waterfall lol.
This thing flat out works, it just goes and is simple to replace what breaks.

I feel like the Jeep will pretty much always be worth what I paid for it long as it runs, drives and stops. So I want to enjoy it a few more years, I’ll fix what breaks and basically maintain it at this stage. Then get my money or most of it back out and double my budget to buy a rig already on won-tons and 40s with a V8.

My kids are very expensive right now. And I’ve got some dental bills coming in the next 2 months that have me contemplating sending the XJ down the road. Kids are expensive.

I’ll slap this thing together and keep wheeling it like it is. I’d rather spend the money on wheeling trips rather than a 1 ton swap.

Would a chromoly shaft have helped or where you running them already?

Would a chromoly shaft have helped or where you running them already?

No it was a stock 31 spline. Honestly, even a 14B Chromo shaft, Dana 70 or anything would have broke they way I did it. All the weight on 1 tire dropping down on the rev limiter like that. I know several people who have done the exact same thing in the same spot. It’s a recipe for breakage if you do it wrong (like I did).

For now, I’ll throw a stock shaft back in it but may add Chromos later since they’re no too expensive. The rear has held up to some real beatings so far. The front has Chromos with Yukon Super Joints.

No it was a stock 31 spline. Honestly, even a 14B Chromo shaft, Dana 70 or anything would have broke they way I did it. All the weight on 1 tire dropping down on the rev limiter like that. I know several people who have done the exact same thing in the same spot. It’s a recipe for breakage if you do it wrong (like I did).

For now, I’ll throw a stock shaft back in it but may add Chromos later since they’re no too expensive. The rear has held up to some real beatings so far. The front has Chromos with Yukon Super Joints.

I bet a Dana 80 would have been just fine... I could have made you a deal on one :D

So the Jeep is still sitting in my garage collecting dust and many other things, waiting to get my third member back and I’ll throw it back together.

I’ve been lightly thinking about a 4.8LS swap but would like to keep the manual transmission. AX15 behind a 4.8 would hold up just okay, it would be risky, but it’s pretty expensive to make it match up. It’d be easier to get an S10 tranny or something of the like. I do not want a 465, I’m not a fan. What other options are there?

I highly doubt I would do this, as I intend to sell this Jeep within 2 years but I’ve tossed the idea around because from time to time I run across 4.8s pretty cheap and I think if I can get a cheap manual trans and keep my transfer case it would be a fairly cheap swap but I’m mostly just brain storming.

What manual trans options to I have that would keep things real simple?

So the Jeep is still sitting in my garage collecting dust and many other things, waiting to get my third member back and I’ll throw it back together.

I’ve been lightly thinking about a 4.8LS swap but would like to keep the manual transmission. AX15 behind a 4.8 would hold up just okay, it would be risky, but it’s pretty expensive to make it match up. It’d be easier to get an S10 tranny or something of the like. I do not want a 465, I’m not a fan. What other options are there?

I highly doubt I would do this, as I intend to sell this Jeep within 2 years but I’ve tossed the idea around because from time to time I run across 4.8s pretty cheap and I think if I can get a cheap manual trans and keep my transfer case it would be a fairly cheap swap but I’m mostly just brain storming.

What manual trans options to I have that would keep things real simple?

FWIW, ICON runs AX15s behind most of their FJs and I think the Broncos too. I asked him one time about it on Instagram (I think) to which he replied that people are overly concerned about the strength of them and that they have held up fine on all his LS builds.

My current 4.0 still runs fine and is very strong. This is mostly just pipe dreams anyway. I’m not concerned about the strength of the AX15, it’s just that the bellhousing and other hardware to make it mate to an LS is over $1,000.

I THINK there is a way to use a Dodge Dakota bell housing but I can’t remember. I think it was a guy in here that had a 2 door XJ he swapped a 4.8 into and kept the AX15 using Dodge Dakota parts.

Ax-15 will be fine behind a stock ls.

Same transmission in supras, Chevys, Saturn, Toyota etc behind engines with more power.

Iirc it’s like $350 or so to adapt ls to jeep bellhousing. Can be done with factory parts as we’ll sourced from Colorado’s.

Several different ways to skin that cat.

Most stroked 4.0’s make more torque than a 4.8/5.3 ever dreamed of. People run ax-15’s behind those with good success.

It’s torque that kills them. Full throttle shifts can destroy the splines on the main shaft where the gear presses on.

Not easy to do, but I’ve ruined one. Has to be high traction and all the torques and high shock load from using the clutch as fast as possible.

Easily avoidable if you drive with some sense.

When the slave starts to quit, it kills synchros.

GL5 oil does more damage than nearly everything else.

If you were 2wd I’d say t56, but 4wd id say ax15 and done. It’s too easy and cheap compared to most other options.

Back