Documentary YJ Build

Just my $.02, but I had to stop wheeling one before I could actually save for my buggy build. Every time I took mine out, it was another $500-1000 gone. Made it pretty hard to buy buggy parts. It sucks being sidelined, but I knew it was the only way for me to get what I want.

Totally agree. My plan next year is to ride passenger other than a couple times I go with the whole family, and maybe 1-2 guys trips. Otherwise try to leave it parked and not broke so I can save.

Totally agree. My plan next year is to ride passenger other than a couple times I go with the whole family, and maybe 1-2 guys trips. Otherwise try to leave it parked and not broke so I can save.
Now: Spend $XXXX on all kinds of goodies to make sure rear-end doesn't break again...

Not too long after now: Let it sit at home to make sure rear-end doesn't break again...

:shaking:

This is a stupid hobby

:flipoff2:

Now: Spend $XXXX on all kinds of goodies to make sure rear-end doesn't break again...

Not too long after now: Let it sit at home to make sure rear-end doesn't break again...

:shaking:

This is a stupid hobby

:flipoff2:

Just do what Adam did and part out the YJ. You could get tons and hydro pretty easily that way. Then V8 swap later down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do what Adam did and part out the YJ. You could get tons and hydro pretty easily that way. Then V8 swap later down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible plan, Adam would've have came out way ahead buying a rig. He wanted to build his so he could make it his and what he wanted, Philip on the other hand would rather buy because it's way cheaper and saves the time of building.

Yeah I love this Jeep but it is not my forever rig. It would cost $10k to get it to where I want it. That same $10k added to what I can sell it for puts me in a turn key, ready to wheel rig. I don’t have to tools/space to build one and don’t expect anyone to invest the time to help me do a project that large. Rather just buy one someone else is tired of.

outside this looking in.......keep something to wheel. I did not and then life and raising family was more important. It was never and is never the top priority to keep a toy. However maintaining one would have been a trickle, or at least it does not eat or create tax owed by killing grass.

I get wanting the rig of your dreams, in the mean time stop treating the current like a poor substitute. Your pocket book will stay fatter and maybe your desire to step up will increase without doing "Dale things". I cant help but outside looking in observe the conflict of selling to save, selling to invest, but not utilizing the throttle to do the same in the mean time while enjoying the essence of why we do what we do.

Otherwise if your just into smashing stuff while straining the application of a rev limit get into demolition derby. It'll be cheaper and accomplish the same thing you've done to your rear end many times over.

To be fair, Phillip has got the rep of being over-the-top hard on his shit. Not to take anything away from that, bc he does beat on it pretty hard. But it's really no harder than any of the rest of us when we're trying to make it up and over something.

To be fair, Phillip has got the rep of being over-the-top hard on his shit. Not to take anything away from that, bc he does beat on it pretty hard. But it's really no harder than any of the rest of us when we're trying to make it up and over something.
Since i've never been around I am not trying to sound like a Judge by any means. I also would be that odd duck lackluster fella.......hey pull my cable I need this heep to survive another day.

Phillip has got the rep of being over-the-top hard on his shit

Hell Phillip can't stay off the rev limiter to and FROM the trails :lol:

He has 2 speeds:
1) Hands stuck in pockets in a chair sitting still
2) WFO

Since everyone is throwing in their opinion, I will do the same. I've seen numerous build threads where someone bought something, then it didn't turn out to be everything they thought. Build thread ensues with the back half, front half, or both getting cut-off, new seats, fuel tank, new rear end, links, coilovers, wheels, etc. Rig is down for a year or three and the person spends $X,XXX dollars on the modifications. My advice would be careful, be patient, and try and buy a name built rig, like an M&M fab buggy etc that has been well designed and proven. Only problem with that is the price is going to reflect the build quality, so the budget has to go up.

I say you should sell the jeep, sell the trailer, sell the truck and take up crocheting, then you could make us all some very pretty mittens and you can save money and still feel accomplished :flipoff2:

Since everyone is throwing in their opinion, I will do the same. I've seen numerous build threads where someone bought something, then it didn't turn out to be everything they thought. Build thread ensues with the back half, front half, or both getting cut-off, new seats, fuel tank, new rear end, links, coilovers, wheels, etc. Rig is down for a year or three and the person spends $X,XXX dollars on the modifications. My advice would be careful, be patient, and try and buy a name built rig, like an M&M fab buggy etc that has been well designed and proven. Only problem with that is the price is going to reflect the build quality, so the budget has to go up.

If you wanna talk about @D2320M yoi coulda just tagged him :D

I am hard on stuff, but I do back off these days. You can ask @adamk and others. Last weekend at Harlan I backed off of White Tail Crawl and took the bypass cause I didn’t wanna beat on it, I back off the right side line past the entrance to Mason Jar, and a few other times just decided to pass so I could live to wheel another day. Derek did the same a few times and it sure made the weekend go a heck of a lot longer.

Only thing I did to keep that Jeep together was that I pushed in the clutch when it started to bounce a ton. I was usually the only one still together at the end of the trip cause of that.
I rolled it twice at Dixie run and still drove it the whole weekend.
I only broke stuff when I was bouncing.
86A1BF43-2628-44D8-A274-11667024686D.jpeg

Only thing I did to keep that Jeep together was that I pushed in the clutch when it started to bounce a ton. I was usually the only one still together at the end of the trip cause of that.
I rolled it twice at Dixie run and still drove it the whole weekend.
I only broke stuff when I was bouncing.
View attachment 324061
And after riding behind him on the past 2 trips, he getting good at grabbing that clutch!

Last edited:
Yeah when I broke on the waterfall I thought I pushed it in, but the video clearly shows I did not. Now I push it in really quick.

One thing that seems to have helped that is 1) expensive repairs, but also 2) my new seats keep me so firmly in place and I’m centered with the steering wheel now, I can focus on JUST driving and not shifting around to stay in place.

Last edited:
Back