doubler,2 transfer cases

cruiserman

could sombody explain to me the idea of 2 transfer cases, and what they would be used for? i know its used for crawling and stuff but how does it work? thank you in advance.

:beer: Kurt

I run a Np435 with a 6.69 low gear. My transfercse is a Dana 20 with 2.46 low range. That makes a final drive/crawl ratio of 75:1 with my 4.56 gears. I'm trying to gather the parts to add the Np203 range box to my combo which will allow me to have a 150:1 low if needed. This set up will actually let you sellect 16 forward speeds and 4 reverse. Not that everyone needs all those gears, and some do over lap, but it is nice to have them there if needed.

why dont you just change transfer case 4 to 1, an go to a little more gear, or gear it an keep transfer case you have. running a doubler is just some peoples way of bullshitting around with to much time on there hands an money, there is no feasible reason on a trail for running a doubler that cant be matched a lot easier.

maverick said:
why dont you just change transfer case 4 to 1, an go to a little more gear, or gear it an keep transfer case you have. running a doubler is just some peoples way of bullshitting around with to much time on there hands an money, there is no feasible reason on a trail for running a doubler that cant be matched a lot easier.

dumbest comment on this board yet :rolleyes:

and you will lose the ability to attain wheel speed that way, and that is vital on the east coast. doublers are where its at for function, wheel speed, and crawlability all in one.

pheery said:
dumbest comment on this board yet :rolleyes:

and you will lose the ability to attain wheel speed that way, and that is vital on the east coast. doublers are where its at for function, wheel speed, and crawlability all in one.

I with you on that one. Unless you have and engine that will live turning 9K I don't think you can keep the wheel speed up for a muddy hill climb with only a 4:1 low.

BTW has anyone seen the new 4 speed Atlas II? It has two low ranges, one 2:1 and a 3:1. That allows 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, or an awsome 6:1. Pretty cool not to have the added driveline length of a doubler. Although it probably costs around $5K.

they priced it today on pirate. 2899 for the case, and 100 for the cable shifter. that is bad ass. although i drive a 900 car every day.

also some axles are limited by the gear ratio's so a doubler will kind of compensate for the gears in the diff. 4:1 is good but when you're running bigger meats it just ain't gonna cut it.

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
BTW has anyone seen the new 4 speed Atlas II? It has two low ranges, one 2:1 and a 3:1. That allows 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, or an awsome 6:1. Pretty cool not to have the added driveline length of a doubler. Although it probably costs around $5K.

does it have an overdrive?

No OD. It's a bit longer than a regular atlas due to the planetary box hanging off the nose, but it's still shorter than a Klune/Atlas would be by a couple of inches.

If you need something smaller, the Stak box is a 3spd, and roughly the same size as a 205.

Pheery what amazes me is when I crack on your post about something you go crying to the admin. about how I hurt your little feelings, Son if you cant take it dont dish it out, It amazes me reading some of your post how damn stupid you are, any trail on the east coast a 150:1 rig can climb a 100:1 rig would follow it, this being a local site and people trying to help out each other is a good thing, there is some very knowledgable people on this site from stock rigs to custom fabbed rigs, an the majority of the time good conversation about tried an prefference of mods., but you get piss ants like yourself that has never built anything that set around an read an article an all of a sudden you are the athority on it. Your post previuos talking about wheel spin in mud shows your ignorants, you do not set up a doubler expecting to get the best of both worlds, A rig is set up for a specific type of wheeling or a little of both, that is not the purpose of a doubler, it is for EXTREME crawling you dumbass.

maverick said:
Pheery what amazes me is when I crack on your post about something you go crying to the admin. about how I hurt your little feelings, Son if you cant take it dont dish it out, It amazes me reading some of your post how damn stupid you are, any trail on the east coast a 150:1 rig can climb a 100:1 rig would follow it, this being a local site and people trying to help out each other is a good thing, there is some very knowledgable people on this site from stock rigs to custom fabbed rigs, an the majority of the time good conversation about tried an prefference of mods., but you get piss ants like yourself that has never built anything that set around an read an article an all of a sudden you are the athority on it. Your post previuos talking about wheel spin in mud shows your ignorants, you do not set up a doubler expecting to get the best of both worlds, A rig is set up for a specific type of wheeling or a little of both, that is not the purpose of a doubler, it is for EXTREME crawling you dumbass.

i have no idea what you are talking about with me crying to the admins. i disagreed with you as did others in this thread, but you chose to attack me. i apoligize that you are insecure and butt hurt, but you aren't bothering me a bit by disagreeing with me.

i gave a reason for why i disagreed with you, you have not, but instead you simply attacked and called me names. whatever makes you feel better man. i apoligize that you have chosen to dislike me and have decided that i am stupid, but you aren't the first, and you won't be the last.

i have wheeled a rig with an atlas, and a rig with a doubler. options are more plentiful with a doubler and believe it or not, my crawl ration was 128 with and atlas and 122 with a doubler. i am basing my opinion on my experiences with ACTUAL WHEELING and you are basing yours on your dislike of an individual you have never met. thanks for the lesson in handling things well.

maverick said:
A rig is set up for a specific type of wheeling or a little of both, that is not the purpose of a doubler, it is for EXTREME crawling you dumbass.

put it in single low instead of double low, whabam, wheel speed. i get the impression you haven't ever wheeled a doubler, because you are missing some basic uses of the setup.

i buy a buggy and suddenly i have never built anything :rolleyes: oh well at least i wheel.

oh and please, please, please do us a favor, and use some sort of punctuation and paragraphs.

maverick said:
Your post previuos talking about wheel spin in mud shows your ignorants, you do not set up a doubler expecting to get the best of both worlds, A rig is set up for a specific type of wheeling or a little of both, that is not the purpose of a doubler, it is for EXTREME crawling you dumbass.
From reading this I get the idea that YOU are the one who doesn't have a clue. Everyone I know who built a doubler set up did so to have the best of both worlds, you have regular low (one case engaged) and double low (both cases engage). As for your extreme crawling, people who are really into that DON'T usually run doublers..why? they weigh more than a single low geared t-case (like and Atlas). If you don't know what is meant by needing wheel speed, then you've never wheeled Tellico or anywhere else in the southeast other than when it was bone dry. Just my .02

maverick said:
Pheery what amazes me is when I crack on your post about something you go crying to the admin. about how I hurt your little feelings,

Of anyone who would "go crying to the admins", pheery would be one of the last -of course, since you haven't been around here long, you wouldn't know that.

any trail on the east coast a 150:1 rig can climb a 100:1 rig would follow it,

Holy crap, are you for real? That just reeks of JU-ism's.. crawl ratio is what you make of it, and it's FAR from the be-all-end-all measure of a vehicle's performance.. You might as well substitute RTI numbers in place of crawl ratios in your statement.

Your post previuos talking about wheel spin in mud shows your ignorants, you do not set up a doubler expecting to get the best of both worlds, A rig is set up for a specific type of wheeling or a little of both, that is not the purpose of a doubler, it is for EXTREME crawling you dumbass.

Uh, no. the options available by having 1:1, 2:1, and 4:1 in the cases give you the flexability to either have a very slow crawl, or a combo of crawl and available wheelspeed by going 2:1.

By the way, your name calling and grammar really make YOU out to be the ignorant one, whether that is the case or not.

But hey, show us this place near you that has all those dry rocks without the obligatory covering of slime and mud.. I'd like to wheel it!

Far as grammar as stated before, My points are understood it seems very well, so grammar is fine, I do not care about spelling or puctuation, only that my point gets across, All i know is that i have been PM pheery from admin. about your whining, as stated, you folks do something , or read something an you are the authority on it, what works for some does not work for others, my opinion was stated an you said it was the dumbest thing you ever read instead of disagreeing or respecting it, I am an authority on nothing but I have built an driven compound geared vehicles you have never seen or new existed, A 4x4 vehicle is not a complex vehicle, an certainly is not the space shuttle, An i still say you are full of crap an dont know squat about the design an use of a doubler. An your pals comment about wheel spin, I understood the importance of that + or -, probally before either of you were born, elementary my friend. Oh an by the way, I have driven 1000hp Detroit Allison powered 8x8, with 4 locking diff. with windsheilds in the floorboard, in reverse or forward, over or around , anything parked on tellico, so please tease me with your expertise.

an ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n; n when stressed)
indef.art.

• The form of a used before words beginning with a vowel or with an unpronounced h: an elephant; an hour.

and ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nd, n; nd when stressed)
conj.

• Together with or along with; in addition to; as well as. Used to connect words, phrases, or clauses that have the same grammatical function in a construction.
  • Added to; plus: Two and two makes four.
    Used to indicate result: Give the boy a chance, and he might surprise you.
  • Informal. To. Used between finite verbs, such as go, come, try, write, or see: try and find it; come and see. See Usage Note at try.
  • Archaic. If: and it pleases you.

Not trying to be a grammar nazi...Hell I can't even spell...but dude, reading your stuff is PAINFULL......At least an ATTEMPT at decent langauge and not redneckese or ebonics is appreciated in the online community

maverick said:
Far as grammar as stated before, My points are understood it seems very well, so grammar is fine, I do not care about spelling or puctuation, only that my point gets across, All i know is that i have been PM pheery from admin. about your whining, as stated, you folks do something , or read something an you are the authority on it, what works for some does not work for others, my opinion was stated an you said it was the dumbest thing you ever read instead of disagreeing or respecting it, I am an authority on nothing but I have built an driven compound geared vehicles you have never seen or new existed, A 4x4 vehicle is not a complex vehicle, an certainly is not the space shuttle, An i still say you are full of crap an dont know squat about the design an use of a doubler. An your pals comment about wheel spin, I understood the importance of that + or -, probally before either of you were born, elementary my friend. Oh an by the way, I have driven 1000hp Detroit Allison powered 8x8, with 4 locking diff. with windsheilds in the floorboard, in reverse or forward, over or around , anything parked on tellico, so please tease me with your expertise.

what are you talking about? we are talking about doublers. not 8x8's or flying to the moon.

i never whined to any admin, get over yourself.

we can agree to disagree, that is fine. but give up the "i am older so i know everything" routine. you are coming off looking like a fool and someone who needs a pat on the back. :beer:

Doublers

After reading this thread, I am so sad to learn my truck, with its doublers, won't cut the mustard.

maverick said:

I wont call all of this dumb. Think about it, for those of us running manuals it works just fine. Just stick it into a higher gear. In most axles you can't get enough gear to match the crawl of a doubler, period. There are applications for both setups. Lo gear sets for short wheelbase rigs and those of us who dont want to cut up the console and dont mind shoving into 5th and letting it eat. Doublers for those without other options, 205's in full size rigs, Toys because of the alarming lack of torque, people who love that tractor look on the floor and so on. Calling the entire post "the dumbest ever" is bullshit. :flipoff2: Personally I think the ultimate setup for crawling is a doubler setup with rear disconnect and a auto.

Maverick, quit digging you aint making it better. :lol:

this thread is NOT the dumbest, saying that people do doublers because they have nothing better to do with their time and money IS the "dumbest response" that i was refering to.

also, an auto with a single lower geared t-case will obviously work, and a stick with a lower geared single t-case will work if your ratios aren't too wide in the tranny. options are options, i like to have as many as possible.

just to clarify.

that being said, doublers don't work.

maverick said:
Oh an by the way, I have driven 1000hp Detroit Allison powered 8x8, with 4 locking diff. with windsheilds in the floorboard, in reverse or forward, over or around , anything parked on tellico, so please tease me with your expertise.

Congrats, you drove a HEMTT. :lol:

awww.4x4offroads.com_image_files_oshkosh_hemtt.jpg

Rich said:
Congrats, you drove a HEMTT. :lol:

awww.4x4offroads.com_image_files_oshkosh_hemtt.jpg
No shit...i was just going to ask for pics on the trail..not to hate..but to congratulate. I've seen a duce and a half going up trail 4 with a load of rock to "pave" sections of the trail and I've seen a guy drive a backhoe up gaurdrail, but I've never come across one of those on the trail.

Back