Duke Energy Rates

jeepinmatt

Not a very good
I have the option to get my house Energy Star certified, but unless I'm missing something, it looks like the energy star rate is HiGHER than the standard residential electric rate:
Standard
https://www.duke-energy.com/_/media/pdfs/for-your-home/rates/electric-nc/ncschedulere.pdf?la=en
8.58¢->7.64¢/KWh
Vs
Energy Star
https://www.duke-energy.com/_/media/pdfs/for-your-home/rates/electric-nc/ncschedulees.pdf?la=en
9.18¢->8.70¢/KWh

Average usage so far is ~35KWh/day, so 1000KWh/month.

Is there some rebate I'm missing hiding somewhere?

Go SOLAR! Get off the grid!

You missed that the all electric rate for energy star is 6.89c/kwh after 350 in the winter.
There we go! I apparently didn't have the patience to read that far.

So crunching some quick numbers I might save up to $32/year, or spend an additional $5/year.

Straight 1000KWh/month ES saves $5/year
Straight 800KWh/month ES adds $5/year
Straight 1500KWh/month ES saves $31/year
Heat/Cool needs estimate ES saves $7/year
Factoring in woodstove ES adds $1/year

Boring spreadsheet screenshot below. These numbers are completely speculative based on 1 warm September that averaged 34KWh per day and my own BS-timate of what the monthly KWh needs will be throughout the year. I'm sure there are better calculators, but I think it will still work out about the same. Considering the ~$500 cost of getting the house Energy Star certified (and that's assuming it actually is...), it would take anywhere from never to 15 years to pay off.
IMG_20191008_224112.jpg

So crunching some quick numbers I might save up to $32/year, or spend an additional $5/year.

Straight 1000KWh/month ES saves $5/year
Straight 800KWh/month ES adds $5/year
Straight 1500KWh/month ES saves $31/year
Heat/Cool needs estimate ES saves $7/year
Factoring in woodstove ES adds $1/year

Boring spreadsheet screenshot below. These numbers are completely speculative based on 1 warm September that averaged 34KWh per day and my own BS-timate of what the monthly KWh needs will be throughout the year. I'm sure there are better calculators, but I think it will still work out about the same. Considering the ~$500 cost of getting the house Energy Star certified (and that's assuming it actually is...), it would take anywhere from never to 15 years to pay off.
View attachment 304204
But... it's the right thing for the environment....

Just wait til @CasterTroy sees a monitor contest. His office looks like hes in a flight simulator.

My dream is to have a wall of monitors, clicking off real time production rates. My last gig I had a 'stock ticker' type set up, but just gave me hour by hour units/hr by line. I want analytics and graphs and cameras damn near by person.

I used to think multiple monitors was neat until I got this 36" curved monitor. Switching and moving stuff is much more fluid.

View attachment 304325

For whatever reason, I can't cross that threshold. When I am on a 70" monitor, I feel like I'm computering for the first time and get pissed off trying to toggle between files. Probably from a life time of compartmentalizing and being anal (not the good kind) on screen formatting/placement.

Amateurs....

20191011_115050.jpg

20191011_115331.jpg

42" TV FTW

Last edited:
yall some neat desk mofos yall know that

F2EFCFF6-CE02-40D1-A936-FF19CE32D640.jpeg

Back