Engine Bucking??

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Hey,

I just got a '92 W250

Well I finally got it on the road and have notced a few things...

1st: from 0 - 55 no problems with engine , etc... but when I get above that speed every once in a while it will buck and I have to let off the gas and then press gas down again and it will keep going... if i say in gas it just keeps slowing down.

I did change the fuel filter when I was changing all other fluids..but I am not sure how to check to see if there is air in the lines.. and if there was air in lines how do i get rid of it?? and would air cause a problem liek this??

or could it be something with fuel pump??

2nd: the heater/fan controls in the dash do not work..
has anyone actually pulled there dash apart??
and if so where these cable driven?? if cable driven can you get to them easy to fix or is gonna be a real pain in my arse??

3rd: Having trouble with tranny sticking in 5th gear.
1st threw 4th I can shift up or down with no problems at all and very very smooth.. but not every time does it stick just once in a while.. I will be driving along and then want to down shift and it sticks in 5th. so i have to push it back into 5th and then I double clutch it and usually i can get it into 4th..

Thanks for any advice in advance..

bucking

The engine should work air out by its self rather quickly. If you are sure there is not water in the fuel, I would check your lift pump. I think the 92's had a mechanical lift pump as do the 94-97s. A failing lift pump will cause this very problem, it will erratically loose power,(starving for fuel) or may quit, only to start up 30 seconds later and run for weeks with out a problem. I just went thru this with my 97, it never "bucked', but would just slow down and or quit. The mechanical pump only builds about 3-5psi, and can be checked at your filter, as the lift pump is prior to it. It looks like as sob to change, but really isn't that bad, about an hour. $179 from Cummins.

A cummins shop, NOT the dealer. Never go to the Dodge dealer... Closest one I know is Cummins Atlantic in g-boro, but there's lots of mail-order places that can help..

Rich said:
A cummins shop, NOT the dealer. Never go to the Dodge dealer... Closest one I know is Cummins Atlantic in g-boro, but there's lots of mail-order places that can help..

hhha that is funny...

I called them this past week and asked about a part and they told me they get all there parts from the dealer...

(i was trying to order a power sterring pump)

The wanted $400

I got it from advance for $66

parts

I get all my filters, antifreeze(has a water treatment for the engine), and "engine" parts from Cummins. They are cheaper than the parts stores, FleetPride would be next in price. Add on stuff to make the engine work in the Dodge package needs to purchased elsewhere.

I called local parts houses, including NAPA, for a price on the lift pump. Didn't have it.

Oh, not the PS pump.. I'm talking about CUMMINS parts.. lift pumps, injection pumps, some lines, etc..

I get my filters from Geno's normally, buy 'em a few at a time. Fleetguard Stratapore... But only because Cummins is so far away from me..

Back