Exhaust options - Jeep CJ7 with EFI

Jeffncs

I’m buttoning up the install of my 4.0 into an 82 CJ7. The 4.0 wants 2x O2 sensors (pre and post cat) to run as it’s supposed to. Any suggestions on an exhaust shop around Wake Forest, Durham, or Raleigh? I’m seeing some kits on Amazon or could piece together a kit from Quadratec (I’d solid weld the tubes)….

Looking for the most cost effective option since this swap has been a minor budget black hole. My old exhaust seems to a bit of a mess, but I may be able to salvage it I’d it come to that.

Henry's is the go to in Raleigh for any exhaust work, if your not going to do it yourself. Otherwise you could try and make a universal kit work by welding it together. Probably would not be much more $$ to have Henry's do it.

R&J Mechanical Welding in Apex just done my '83 CJ with EFI. Guys were awesome, service was on point and the exhaust looks great.
I had an appointment with RJs custom exhaust (FTG) and when I hauled the jeep an hour there he was too busy for me to leave it and wanted me to reschedule. I told him I had an appointment and he was too busy so why would I make another one. I called R&J Mechanical Welding made an appointment, dropped it off that morning and they called and said it was ready that afternoon. A1 service and quality.

As a side note you are welcome to come check my exhaust out or I can post some pics. I got the 6 to 1 header from @willness33 and ran 2.5" pipe out the back with a single 40 series Flowmaster. Sounds great and is not obnoxious while trail riding.

As a side note you are welcome to come check my exhaust out or I can post some pics. I got the 6 to 1 header from @willness33 and ran 2.5" pipe out the back with a single 40 series Flowmaster. Sounds great and is not obnoxious while trail riding.
Glad that worked out for you. Mine is the same 6 into 1 but a 1 into 2 series 40. My duals exit just inboard of both shackles in back. Sounds as good as an inline 6 can imo. If it wasn't such a dog with mass quan-titties of blowby I'd stick with it forever.

Thanks guys! I’ll make a couple calls tomorrow.

In order to brace myself, how much should I be prepared to spend? Header is new and installed, need exhaust from header to tailpipe installed with 2x O2 sensors, cat and muffler.

Am I looking at $300? $500? ??

I may have to order a kit…. The custom shops aren’t cheap. I’m sure they do fantastic work and they’ll def do the dual exhaust install on my ‘65 mustang….but the Jeep is too stupid simple to spend a lot on it.

Kit is $350 and requires fitting. Custom is a fair margin more than that.

Following... not a 3/4 block, but will need the same for a 360 repower this winter.
My go-to exhaust artisan in W-S moved to Asheville and haven't found anyone close to his level here...

While it'll likely take me 1000x time longer, toying with building it (manifolds out, 2.25"-2.5" Y-pipe, to 2.5"-3" out the back) myself from various parts/pieces...

First shop wouldn’t offer a number without hauling it down to his shop. Not even a guesstimate.

2 shops suggested $800-$1000 based on needing a cat which is $$$

First shop wouldn’t offer a number without hauling it down to his shop. Not even a guesstimate.

Its been a few years, but I thought I paid around $400-$500 at Henry's which was a single exhaust from a TJ down pipe routed out past the rear axle. That price also included a new cat.

buy an aftermarket cat on ebay/amazon for the size pipe you want. They are cheap and will work fine.

When I put a 4.0 into my CJ8, I had a generic Flowmaster cat ($50 maybe?), 02 sensor and bung, and stock XJ muffler (new replacement) in hand and took it to Henrys on capital blvd. My 4.0 only has a precat 02. I had zero exhaust, just shooting right out of the manifold (was a bit loud on that drive).

Now this was 2 years ago, but I paid less than $200 to have it welded up. They bent all the tube. 2.5 inch maybe?

Sounds like a stock XJ when running.

I may have to buy the generic stuff and do exactly that. Henry’s wants to see it first, which I respect but I’m trying my direction now so I can install soon. I’m anxious and impatient to get this thing rolling!

Following... not a 3/4 block, but will need the same for a 360 repower this winter.
My go-to exhaust artisan in W-S moved to Asheville and haven't found anyone close to his level here...

While it'll likely take me 1000x time longer, toying with building it (manifolds out, 2.25"-2.5" Y-pipe, to 2.5"-3" out the back) myself from various parts/pieces...
After making mine myself last time, i don't think I'll ever pay someone else to do it. It was very satisfying to build the exhaust for some reason.

@justjeepin86

I love a project…. which is why I’m considering the $350 kit. However, I have a 65 mustang convertible project waiting for the garage spot. I’m trying to balance the satisfaction of building it myself vs just getting it done so I can start on my first true love - an overpowered, nasty early mustang.

@justjeepin86

I love a project…. which is why I’m considering the $350 kit. However, I have a 65 mustang convertible project waiting for the garage spot. I’m trying to balance the satisfaction of building it myself vs just getting it done so I can start on my first true love - an overpowered, nasty early mustang.
It will be really easy to build an inline 6 exhaust. You don't have to deal with a Y pipe.

Do you have a welder? I did mine myself for the same application from a combination of junkyard parts. A high flow universal cat isn't expensive.

Not to be the fly in the ointment, but the last two times I've tried to give Henry's my money they were assholes. Plus their parking lot is usually full of squatted trucks which I'd rather not support.

Im fully equipped to do the job myself (welder, band saw, grinder, etc), so I’m leaning more and more towards building it myself. It’s a straight shot out the back using a pre-bent kit. $350 for a pre-assembled kit or I could buy parts and piece it together.

AMC V-8s have some tricky twist to connect the exhaust manifolds; least the driver side does. If you got headers, that's easier. And getting a pipe between the transfer case & frame rail, O Lord! I scrapped my dual pipes, & had my guy build a new single exhaust using the driver side like the factory did. No cat on mine. Due to my skid plate, I had the muffler man do a U, or horseshoe, over the rear tranny output, for the cross over pipe. His concoction of Bell connectors, makes it easy to take off & on!

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_102132794.jpg
    IMG_20200512_102132794.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 95
Back