EXTREME OFFROAD havelock...goldmine in the shadow

Wow interesting thread. Alot of good, and alot of bashing from along time ago. So I take it Extreme is still in business? I want to see the work this guy does. If he was in Top Truck and did the tank trap in 6 mins he must do bad @ss work! Anyone have any recent pics of his work or talked to the guy?

All I'll say about the matter is that the truck my husband, rottiedog, mentioned being at Alex's shop for over year, was basically just put together with no thought to safety or doing it "right". He rigged it, it broke (of course!) while my husband was driving it, and it could have killed my husband! When he was contacted about it afterward, he admitted that he used parts he shouldn't have, but "hoped" they would work! Never told us about it, just did it! Thankfully my husband wasn't driving 60 miles an hour on the highway when it happened. He had just driven on the base he works at and was going slowly. That having been said, ONE OF OUR DAUGHTERS DRIVES THIS TRUCK!!!! If it'd been her, no matter how slowly she might have been driving, she would have gotten seriously hurt or worse!

Obviously, I have nothing good to say about the man or his shop.

All I'll say about the matter is that the truck my husband, rottiedog, mentioned being at Alex's shop for over year, was basically just put together with no thought to safety or doing it "right". He rigged it, it broke (of course!) while my husband was driving it, and it could have killed my husband! When he was contacted about it afterward, he admitted that he used parts he shouldn't have, but "hoped" they would work! Never told us about it, just did it! Thankfully my husband wasn't driving 60 miles an hour on the highway when it happened. He had just driven on the base he works at and was going slowly. That having been said, ONE OF OUR DAUGHTERS DRIVES THIS TRUCK!!!! If it'd been her, no matter how slowly she might have been driving, she would have gotten seriously hurt or worse!

Obviously, I have nothing good to say about the man or his shop.
Was your husband hurt? i hope not. that really sucks that his truck wasn't set up safely. do you have any pics of the broken parts? just curious.
i've found in Minnesota getting a report to the better business group, attourney general and a senator can really make things happen. but i think your husband is right. if the shop won't do what they say they will / or do the work incorrectly, its time to get other people involved.
best of luck to you and i hope your family stays safe while wheeln and on the road.

Your Blazer is sitting in front of his shop on jackstands. It hasn't moved in a while.

I went to talk to him last week about an NV4500 and he tried his best to convince me it would work for me when I knew full well it wouldn't. He's just not a people person. He can build badass rigs, but not for me.

I have nothing against Alex personally, but I don't see eye-to-eye with him on many things.
from the details you listed it sounds like you have a nice rig already. do you have any pics of it? i personally like to shift the gears but a 700r4 in your rig should be working great. are you looking to change anything on it / future projects?

a few pics

Attachments

• no%20wheel%201.jpg
    no%20wheel%201.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 480
  • no%20wheel%202.jpg
    no%20wheel%202.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 496
Truck is going to be pretty good someday. Not unstoppable, just reliable. Diesel, about 6"lift, Dana 60 (blew up), slip yoke removed from TC.....

More to come if I ever get my truck back.

Was your husband hurt? i hope not. that really sucks that his truck wasn'twith set up safely. do you have any pics of the broken parts? just curious.
i've found in Minnesota getting a report to the better business group, attourney general and a senator can really make things happen. but i think your husband is right. if the shop won't do what they say they will / or do the work incorrectly, its time to get other people involved.
best of luck to you and i hope your family stays safe while wheeln and on the road.

By either pure luck, or God's grace, he wasn't hurt. He posted some pics of it. We've already contacted everyone we can here in NC, and I think my hubby's put his name on the "blacklist" at the marine base he works at, but I still feel like the guy is getting off with nothing really happening to him. He has absolutely no remorse and I'm sure he'll do it again to someone else. Maybe he really will have to actually hurt or kill someone before he gives a c*@p!

Ok guys, I'm gonna step in her and mediate a bit.
Let me say a few things:
1) We dont want to sensor people's opinions; and want to keep an eye out for each other.
2) There have been more than a few questionable circumstances with this shop, but then again there are unhappy customer's at every shop.
3) What we all need is clear, concise description of work performed, substandard quality specifics, and proof of such.
Basically, just because something breaks does not mean the shop is at fault, they are not an OEM. When you buy a new car you expect bumper to bumper coverage. With aftermarket, custom fab and bolt on parts there is a lot of grey area.

I am making the same assumption Jeff is by the pics.
That said:
Who provided the axle?
What shape was it reported to be in?
What were you doing EXACTLY at the time of break?
And what exactly did Alex say he "should not have used"

While I am not throwing accusations out, let me explain my questions...
For all I know right now the customer supplied the axle. The axle was a POS. The shop owner saw it and mentioned its condition to thee vehicle owner who said he was on a budget and needed it fixed as cheap as possible. immediately upon pick up the vehicle owner wentt sand dune jumping and grenaded the rear axle.
In my example the fault it totally on the vehicle owner.
In your (limited) description, the fault is totally on the shop.

I am betting the truth lies somewhere in between.

Who provided the axle?
Alex provided axle
Said he went through it from end to end
Driving on base at 20 mph. Hadn't even tested out the new setup.
And what exactly did Alex say he "should not have used" Couple of different things in different phone messages(which I save just in case....)

Yes, he is a good guy, just has bad work habits. I know he didn't intentionally do me wrong.

I was going to have him do disk brakes and power steering on my Deuce but after waiting a year for the one to two week job on the Blazer, I'll look somewhere else.

why in the hell would you wait for a year to get your truck back, if it was only supposed to take a couple of weeks. i am a nice guy but if he didnt have my truck back within a month i would have picked it up and takin it somewhere else.
another good reason to learn how to do it yourself.

Who provided the axle?
Alex provided axle
Said he went through it from end to end
Driving on base at 20 mph. Hadn't even tested out the new setup.
And what exactly did Alex say he "should not have used" Couple of different things in different phone messages(which I save just in case....)
Yes, he is a good guy, just has bad work habits. I know he didn't intentionally do me wrong.
I was going to have him do disk brakes and power steering on my Deuce but after waiting a year for the one to two week job on the Blazer, I'll look somewhere else.

Before you take your junk to him or anywhere else, look up some of us in eastern NC. There are a lot of us that are really capable of doing some of the work it sounds like you are in need of. I'm in Greenville and I know of a couple others that are in Greenville area that are also good fabricators/etc.

Not trying to take work from Alex, just offering different avenues to get some work done right and in less than a year.

wow

a few pics
wow i've never seen a full floater axle come apart like that before. did the spindle nut come off? or was the nut(s) and retainer even on the spindle? i've seen a couple of cracked spindles on the older dana 60's but thats after people resized them to fit the 35 spline axles. like i said that sucks and i've seen some crazy breakage while i was living down there in NC. have you had any luck with contacting a lawyer or are you just going to go to small claims court? just curious....

Before you take your junk to him or anywhere else, look up some of us in eastern NC. There are a lot of us that are really capable of doing some of the work it sounds like you are in need of. I'm in Greenville and I know of a couple others that are in Greenville area that are also good fabricators/etc.
Not trying to take work from Alex, just offering different avenues to get some work done right and in less than a year.

Believe me, we won't be going to him again. EVER!! When we need work done again that we aren't able to do ourselves, we'll probably be contacting you.

Just want to say, if your going anywhere in that area to get work done, should be Big Wheel Offroad... Bob is a top knotch guy. If your in the cape fear region, Cape Fear 4x4 is another great shop

I second taking it to Bob. He's a good guy. Wait....you got the Duece from him didn't you?

Bout time you got your Blazer back man! It woulda been a shame if you had to run the Duece through his shop :rolleyes: :flipoff2: :driver:

I've called and drove by extreme 3 times since I bought my new TJ 2 weeks ago and the place is a ghost town. It is very common knowledge around Havelock Newport and the base that this guy is a crook, and lacks skill and obviously business sense

went by this place last night hes had parts for almost 8 months now (he fell off the face of the earth with no contact information. all the 4x4 trucks and parts that were out front are gone and the whole area is cleaned up and building repainted. wrote this off as a bad business

Did you happen to notice that the building is now the same color as the one next door? ;) They had a "yard sale" a few weeks ago. Alex has moved his stuff to a different location.

Back