Flooding?

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I'm hearing of horrendous flooding around western NC and up the Appalachians, w/ predictions of a lot more to come. Some pics of High Point look rough.

Hope folks stay high and dry...

This is the parking lot at my wife's work behind hospital in high point.

uploadfromtaptalk1443559605774.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1443559618192.jpg

Dang hadn't heard anything about wnc. I live in a flood plain and my house was 4ft under during hurricane frances. They "fixed" the river so it wouldn't flood again and so far it hasnt but has been close

Good thing most the cars in high point are jacked up as high as my truck is.

That's crazy though I live off of 311 at Ridgewood rd which isn't far from highpoint and haven't seen anything close to that.

I've got about a foot of water on the right side of my yard. I saw some "No Wake" signs in the middle of some of the roads in Beaufort, NC :D

Tonight's report, 9" or more have fallen over several days, in the Mountains. Couple days ago, Boone had a wall must with a small landslide.
Mount Holly area has had about 3+ '' over 5 days now, but it's been light to drizzle, & soaking In!! I threw some more money on the ground today. Grass seed & Fertilizer.
I think with in this week, the Lakes will return to normal!

With the ground at a very saturated state now, High Point looks to be in trouble with 8" more rain on the way.

High Point 10 day forecast.jpg

So glad I live on a hill..... Rains putting a damper on my hunting though, most of my hunting land is swampy without all the rain. Now it's just flooded

I live on a hill too. The only problem is all the grass seed I put down last Wednesday afternoon is now washed down the hill into the creek, LOL. I'll have to start over once all this has passed and the ground has dried up some.

I live on a hill too. The only problem is all the grass seed I put down last Wednesday afternoon is now washed down the hill into the creek, LOL. I'll have to start over once all this has passed and the ground has dried up some.

Hahahahaha damn I can feel your pain! I did the same thing. I did a complete kill and till in the back yard. And it's rained so much I think all my grass seed drowned. All I got coming up are a few weeds and some mushrooms....
image.jpeg

Hahahahaha damn I can feel your pain! I did the same thing. I did a complete kill and till in the back yard. And it's rained so much I think all my grass seed drowned. All I got coming up are a few weeds and some mushrooms....
View attachment 198022
I killed everything in my front yard this fall too. Have my seed down as of yesterday but thankfully it is aerated well and the rain has been light to medium.
I hope the thunder storms stay away, tree roots might loosen up with wind in this wet soil.

We went from no rain for over 4 weeks (I had a $150 water bill to keep ornamental plants and garden going) to this LOL, welcome to NC.

Our place in mountains is on a high spot on a spur, not worried about anything there except maybe the driveway up. We cut some water breaks in it a couple of months ago, I hope it is ok. I won't be back up there til Halloween.

I killed everything in my front yard this fall too. Have my seed down as of yesterday but thankfully it is aerated well and the rain has been light to medium.
I hope the thunder storms stay away, tree roots might loosen up with wind in this wet soil.

We went from no rain for over 4 weeks (I had a $150 water bill to keep ornamental plants and garden going) to this LOL, welcome to NC.

Our place in mountains is on a high spot on a spur, not worried about anything there except maybe the driveway up. We cut some water breaks in it a couple of months ago, I hope it is ok. I won't be back up there til Halloween.

Lol I'll go up there and check on it for ya..... Where's the spare key. :D

I'm not so sure it's all the rains fault that I have no grass yet. Other areas that were seeded haven't sprouted yet either. Thinking I got a bad bag of seed. That's what you get for buying it on sale at lowes. Just picked up another 50# bag yesterday from local landscape supply.

I'm not so sure it's all the rains fault that I have no grass yet. Other areas that were seeded haven't sprouted yet either. Thinking I got a bad bag of seed. That's what you get for buying it on sale at lowes. Just picked up another 50# bag yesterday from local landscape supply.

What seed did you buy at Lowes? I bought the cheap Pennington K31 stuff. I had great luck with it last year.

What app is that?

Wunderground.com

I used to use Weather.com, but the website got SUPER SLOOOOW a few months ago and someone recommended Wunderground.com.

It's still in the same place :D

I am going to preach a little about big box stores and seed. Don't do it.

Many times it is old. All of it is low quality with an assumed "price point" attractive to homeowners and their desire for convenience.

It really isn't "cheap" and certainly isn't good seed. It is not a custom product for this climate but a compromise.

Name brands mean nothing. Pennington is among the worst quality.

Weeds, weeds, weeds...the seed at box stores is full of weed seed. Says it right on the label. even tiny % of weed seed is thousands of seeds.

Find a place that sells first quality seed as it's business. I recommend Southern Seeds in Middlesex NC.

I get their Triple Threat blend, all of the seeds in it were developed in this area for this area and did very well in NC State University turf trials over many years.

It has ZERO% weed seed. Is $75 for 50 lbs. This is MUCH cheaper than the box store seed. Last I looked, Rebel seed was over $45 for a 20lb bag. Rebel Elite was $60

Southern seeds carries chemicals you can't get at Lowes. Tenacity and Barricade chiefly which make crabgrass and weeds a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
What seed did you buy at Lowes? I bought the cheap Pennington K31 stuff. I had great luck with it last year.

Yep, Pennington. It was on sale and cheap. This summer put a hurting on my lawn, and I was hoping for the best... You get what you pay for....
It's still in the same place :D

I am going to preach a little about big box stores and seed. Don't do it.

Many times it is old. All of it is low quality with an assumed "price point" attractive to homeowners and their desire for convenience.

It really isn't "cheap" and certainly isn't good seed. It is not a custom product for this climate but a compromise.

Name brands mean nothing. Pennington is among the worst quality.

Weeds, weeds, weeds...the seed at box stores is full of weed seed. Says it right on the label. even tiny % of weed seed is thousands of seeds.

Find a place that sells first quality seed as it's business. I recommend Southern Seeds in Middlesex NC.

I get their Triple Threat blend, all of the seeds in it were developed in this area for this area and did very well in NC State University turf trials over many years.

It has ZERO% weed seed. Is $75 for 50 lbs. This is MUCH cheaper than the box store seed. Last I looked, Rebel seed was over $45 for a 20lb bag. Rebel Elite was $60

Southern seeds carries chemicals you can't get at Lowes. Tenacity and Barricade chiefly which make crabgrass and weeds a thing of the past.

Preach on brother preach on..... I knew better, price was right, gave it a shot, and (like said above) got what I paid for. I picked up a bag of Winning Colors from my local landscape supply house yesterday. It came highly recommended by them, and having bought a lot of other stuff from them, I trust their word.

I'm going to start a new thread so we don't hijack this one.... Sorry OP
Lawn and Landscape

Last edited:
Back