Ford 5.4L HELP...got bigger issues now HELP

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by John Fuller, Apr 30, 2015.

1. transman731

transman731 get your shift together

you asked about a shift kit. it will improve a lot of things about the way the trans works, but not necessarily things you will feel in the seat of your pants. the major improvement on the 4r70w is the pressure relief(to stop parts breakage) and the 4-2 kickdown is canceled from the computer strategy. i would use a transgo hp/hd shift kit.
    to tell you the honest truth, i don't know your abilities but i wouldn't recommend this as your first attempt to do a "reprograming" kit. you will be taking a drill to the valve body itself and one wrong hole or 1 size to big and you just got a $500 paperweight.

http://www.transgo.com/products.php...d=131&countdisplay=2&start=0&addcountview=Yes

just so you know, i'm am more than willing to help anyone, but if someone attempts something that i have suggested they leave to people more qualified, i will laugh in your face and tell them "i told you so".

2. John Fuller

John Fuller XJ Fanatic!! Banned

uhh yeah...there won't be no drilling into no transmission for me LOL. that's something i've never done, watched and seen it but not something i would tackle. thank u for the info tough. i gotta focus on getting another head though for now. there's certain things i haven't tried and transmissions have never been my cup a tee to mess with.

3. RHSCTJ

RHSCTJ Well-Known Member

Helicoils are like stop leak. They never should have been sold to the public.

krehel24 likes this.
  4. John Fuller

i've never used them and only learned what they are just month ago when i got the truck since it needed one LOL i don't like them either now that i know what it is or the insert idea but the guy before me is the one who screwed it up and i just tried fixing what he started. oh well. still nice truck and i still like it and will get it fixed soon.

5. transman731

transman731 get your shift together

i have put many a heli-coil in a ford head, it really just depends on the quality of the insert, on whether it lasts or not. do you have a snap-on man? blue point makes a ford heli-coil kit.

6. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

Ever ran a tap into a Heli Coil? I have, once and only once.

7. snappy

snappy YHDG's adopted son!!! Moderator

RHSCTJ likes this.
  8. karatejosh

karatejosh Well-Known Member

^^^^ must have if you own a 5.4

9. snappy

snappy YHDG's adopted son!!! Moderator

thats and a tube of jb quick

karatejosh likes this.
  10. John Fuller

i wish i could guys but as said before, the guy before me ruined it, i tried fixing it...lasted 2 weeks starts missing. did it again last week and one week later missing again and when i had camera down in there it was pretty buggered up so i tried it again and it must be arcing inside there somewhere but there's a member here who has either a motor or just that head i need so hepefully we can work something out. I appreciate the motivation to try and fix it but i don't think it's able to. thanks guys.

11. RHSCTJ

RHSCTJ Well-Known Member

fify