Freebie Tow Rig or another payment

NCJeepin

Well its coming to the point where the jeep needs to loose its DD status, but i want my new dd to beable to tow the Jeep to uwharrie, telico etc....

Here are my options:

Mom and dads getting a new ride, so the will give me their 2000 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton and tow package.....

Or if i were to buy something, i am looking at the Ford F-150 Super Crew FX4....... but thats another car payment!!!

Would the expedition make a good tow rig???? I guess is basically my question... The think that sucks is it has that automatic 4x4 system, thats what worries me.....

If you don't want it, tell me when and where to pick it up.

Get the Free expedition if your going to be getting a half ton truck anyway. If you do decided to buy one go ahead and get a three quarter ton.

How will the auto 4 wheel drive work in relation to towing heavy loads

Get the free Expidition try it out see how you like it. If it does not preform well enough then trade it in on an F-250. My F-250 does an excellent job pulling my Jeep. I had a buddy who had an F-150 5.4 L V8 and it would pull the Jeep as far as he needed it to pull it. It got the job done but lacked to pulling power the F-250 and 350 offer. He has made the switch to the F-250 and is pleased with his upgrade.

I would go ahead and try out the expedition. I believe Rob used to tow with one, he could shed some light on it. Don't take me the wrong way, but from my experience the 5.4 triton pulls about like a 4.3 chevy v6. I have not been impressed by their power, pulling or not. Even the new 5.4s in the new f150 and expeditions just seem weak. Defenitly the weakest 300hp i have ever felt.
Nice trucks, super nice interiors, nice styling, Zero balls. Just my 2 cents.

BRUISER said:
I wil bet that if you offered Rob a Free one he would take it and tow with it again :)
Not over my F350 I won't.
Get it, I towed my jeep to Paragon and back several times behind one. It works, and works well, the 5.4 is a little small, but your not going to get anything bigger in the half ton truck. You'll need to add the brake controller, the wiring is all there though. Can't remember if Ford gave us a pigtail for it or not. BTW mine was a 2000 2WD, we put over 120,000 miles on it with no issues.
I even have the factory service manual, I'll sell for cheap. :D

i have to disagree with the 5.4 vs a 4.3 comparison. i know we all have opinions, but that is rediculous. i have a 2003 f-150 2wd (company truck) that i tow with that OUTtows MY 2001 GMC yukon with a 5.3, hands down. yes a big part is that it is 4 wheel drive where the truck is 2 wd, but the 5.4 has plenty of power, and i would say more than the 5.3.

and did you say free???? what the hell is the question here? i would take a free subaru brat with no exhaust or tires..... it is free....

My 5.4 did fine. No acceleration on a long climb, but was able to maintain. And FREE? jump on it.

I exaggerated to make a point. The 5.4 is weak in my opinion compared to a vortec 350 chevy (250 hp) and feels about the same as a 360 mopar (245 hp) and also comparable to a 318 mopar (230? hp). Just saying that an advertised 300 hp makes people think its a monster when in my opinion its a little weak. But whatever, everyone has opinions.;)

Hmmmmm, free vehicle....sounds like a no brainer. Tow with it until it breaks and then throw it away. Gee that was a tough decision. LOL

Nothing like a free truck to hel pmake up your mind...I have a buddy who pulls his '69ound w/ his Expy.

And I borrowed Rob's (well, actually Susan's) Expedition more than once, including a trip or 2 to Dayton, TN. Great for a 1/2 ton. Keep the O/D off, and let it purr around 3000... never dropped below 50 on Black Mountain, very quiet (better than my CTD), comfy ride (though a bit bouncy when loaded - needs stiffer shocks), 9-10MPG.

The factory tow package with the air bags MAKES that rig.

Back