Gas Super Duty's to avoid

doc

Odd Member
I'm looking to sell our '01 7.3 crew dually 2wd & buy a 4x4 Super Duty extra cab or crew w/ gas motor.

What years should I avoid?

I had an early 2000s with the 5.4 that the injectors kept crapping out. Seemed like a common problem with the 5.4 gasser. I’d stay away from the early 5.4s

I'd shoot for an 05 or newer, personally. Maybe even one with a 6.2. I'd stay away from the 5.4 period.

Could always 4wd swap the dually. :D It's mostly a bolt in affair.

I'd shoot for an 05 or newer, personally. Maybe even one with a 6.2. I'd stay away from the 5.4 period.

Could always 4wd swap the dually. :D It's mostly a bolt in affair.

I am tempted by the 4wd swap, even gawked @ Falko's fun box...have a new set of 08-up coil buckets.

I tow/pull the car trailer (x4) times a year...7.3 has 120,000 miles on it, just do not need a diesel. Miss the V8 tone/louder exhaust. Not interested in rolling coal, etc.

Any of the 2v mod motors I'd just stay away. Which means 05+, they'll all be 3v until the 6.2 years.

Though a 4wd swap would be cool

I think your answer lies in the title...but with that said, I'd look for a 2011-newer with the 6 speed trans (not sure if that applies to the gasser, but its a world of difference between the 5 and 6 speed in the diesels).

I had a 2015 FX4 crew cab F250 with the 6.2, it was a good truck. The power steering pump failed @32k miles, got it fixed under warranty and traded it for a Tundra. The tundra is more reliable in my opinion but I do miss the size of the Super Duty when towing. My dad has a ‘18 with the 6.2 and it’s a stout truck. Bad MPG but good power

I had a 2015 FX4 crew cab F250 with the 6.2, it was a good truck. The power steering pump failed @32k miles, got it fixed under warranty and traded it for a Tundra. The tundra is more reliable in my opinion but I do miss the size of the Super Duty when towing. My dad has a ‘18 with the 6.2 and it’s a stout truck. Bad MPG but good power

Tundra have better MPGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 17 F250 with the 6.2, and so far I love it. I have not hand calculated the mileage but the computer average stays around 15.5 mpg. I agree with the others that have said it, the 6 speed makes a world of difference when towing.

Tundra have better MPGs?

The tundra is essentially the same. Honestly I’m disappointed all around that auto manufacturers can’t make a V8 with good power and maybe even like 15mpg? The 11-12mpg game in 2020 seems like a joke

Weird. I was told that you should be able to get 17-19 mpg averages from a big gas V8.
2wd, regcab, shortbed with 12 speed manual and aero package. YMMV. Professional driver on closed course. Etc.

FWIW, my dad's 2011 5.0 F150 4wd crewcab gets 17mpg with him driving and 15mpg with me driving. I think gearing is what kills the MPG. My 3.31 geared Ford will easily get 17-18mpg going down the interstate at 85mph. My 4.88 geared Cummins so far knocks down a solid 13-14mpg if I stay under 75mph. Last time I looked (which was about 8 years ago), all the jap trucks have super low gears like 4.30 or something, so they have tons of power and get terrible MPG.

FWIW, my dad's 2011 5.0 F150 4wd crewcab gets 17mpg with him driving and 15mpg with me driving. I think gearing is what kills the MPG. My 3.31 geared Ford will easily get 17-18mpg going down the interstate at 85mph. My 4.88 geared Cummins so far knocks down a solid 13-14mpg if I stay under 75mph. Last time I looked (which was about 8 years ago), all the jap trucks have super low gears like 4.30 or something, so they have tons of power and get terrible MPG.

It's a question of final drive ratios, too. Some of those newer transmissions have double ODs or super low first gears and change the rear gear ratio accordingly. But at a certain point it's still a 7000# brick hurtling through the air against an exponentially-increasing wall of air.

The stop/start systems are probably the single biggest contributor. You can get 15mpg on the highway, but as soon as you pull off and stop at a light, the mpg meter drops into single digits.

I will say I have always been a yota fan boy and loved my tundra I have a power wagon now and It’s not bad either but it drives like a truck tundra drives like a car very tight i have always hated in fords but my rv has the 06 v10 and I’m blown away at how well it tows thru the mountains but it had 529 gears also

Just come on over to the Chevrolet dark side. Find you a 6.0 with the 6 speed auto and never look back :D

The only way I see that happening is if I find a 3/4-ton Suburban...to match my other Suburban - for a Ford guy, I sure have too many bow-tie tendencies.

This "truck" will be for hauling the Jeep, camping, hauling dogs ( excitable German Shepards are bad for the leather in the Subi), weekend duty - my '17 stripper F150 will remain my daily.

The reason for the truck purge was to have solid backup plans, but specific-use vehicles.

The only way I see that happening is if I find a 3/4-ton Suburban...to match my other Suburban - for a Ford guy, I sure have too many bow-tie tendencies.

This "truck" will be for hauling the Jeep, camping, hauling dogs ( excitable German Shepards are bad for the leather in the Subi), weekend duty - my '17 stripper F150 will remain my daily.

The reason for the truck purge was to have solid backup plans, but specific-use vehicles.

I think there’s still a 2500 GMC Yukon XL on here.

You oughta be able to get a pretty penny for a low mileage 7.3 truck

Weird. I was told that you should be able to get 17-19 mpg averages from a big gas V8.

Only if you keep your foot out of it and set the cruise ;)

Back