GMRS Radio Tech

GotWood

Sayer of Fact
I'm looking at a Midland MXT275 unit for my Jeep. I have one to try out this weekend for Dixie Run so we'll see how it goes. I have very limited knowledge of this system, or any radio system. I've seen where I'm supposed to apply for a license, but I'm assuming most people don't have one.

What are you using as a mobile unit? What upgrades gave you done to work better? What brand/model are you using?

I’m using the Midland MXT115. I put the tiny antenna it came with in my Jeep, and upgraded to the 3db antenna on my truck. I have an extra power cord and mounting bracket so it can switch from tow rig to crawler in 1 minute.

There is no tuning or adjustments needed.

With my upgraded antenna, I’m using the magnetic base. I recommend it as the antenna is small, the magnet is strong and it’s not affected by branches, or rollovers. It also comes with the cord attached rather than buying a mount and coax separately. Then the 3 or 6 screws to that base. The tiny antenna that comes with the kit does do a good job, but going to the 3 or 6DB is a massive upgrade. It’s really the only upgrade you can/need to do. And it’s not expensive really.

I will say one of my favorite convenience upgrade has been this magnetic mic holder. It’s not cheap, but it holds it extremely well, and you need that as you don’t want your mic bouncing all over the place and getting damaged. All you have to do is get a little bit close to it without even looking and BAM! The mic is where it’s supposed to be and it ain’t moving.

Magnetic Mic

Amazon product ASIN B0153KY2GY
As for license…. I identify as being licensed ;)

On the 275, there are some settings where what you hear comes from the handheld mic, or the unit, or both. However I highly recommend a good quality external speaker. Like a Cobra or Bearcat. Makes a massive difference.

Also, there is a way to adjust the squelch. @D2320M adjusted mine once, never had to mess with it again. @rcalexander105 can chime in on anything I have missed or said incorrectly.

We have a MXT115 also, in the XJ, (no doors) and tow rig with magnetic mount. The small 3db on the road I can confirm over 3 miles transmission with no problem. Another recommendation for the external speaker. Normal conditions radio works great but when on the gas and bouncing off the rev-limiter I have no idea what anyone is saying. Thanks for the reminder to get an external speaker.

I’m using the Midland MXT115. I put the tiny antenna it came with in my Jeep, and upgraded to the 3db antenna on my truck. I have an extra power cord and mounting bracket so it can switch from tow rig to crawler in 1 minute.

There is no tuning or adjustments needed.

With my upgraded antenna, I’m using the magnetic base. I recommend it as the antenna is small, the magnet is strong and it’s not affected by branches, or rollovers. It also comes with the cord attached rather than buying a mount and coax separately. Then the 3 or 6 screws to that base. The tiny antenna that comes with the kit does do a good job, but going to the 3 or 6DB is a massive upgrade. It’s really the only upgrade you can/need to do. And it’s not expensive really.

I will say one of my favorite convenience upgrade has been this magnetic mic holder. It’s not cheap, but it holds it extremely well, and you need that as you don’t want your mic bouncing all over the place and getting damaged. All you have to do is get a little bit close to it without even looking and BAM! The mic is where it’s supposed to be and it ain’t moving.

Magnetic Mic

Amazon product ASIN B0153KY2GY
As for license…. I identify as being licensed ;)

On the 275, there are some settings where what you hear comes from the handheld mic, or the unit, or both. However I highly recommend a good quality external speaker. Like a Cobra or Bearcat. Makes a massive difference.

Also, there is a way to adjust the squelch. @D2320M adjusted mine once, never had to mess with it again. @rcalexander105 can chime in on anything I have missed or said incorrectly.
Yep, pretty much all of this...and mount it somewhere where it stays dry! Few of our crew have gotten theirs wet and had to replace them. That said, Midland's customer service is top-notch and have sent each a replacement unit.

I have the 275 and love it. I've got the stubby 3dB antenna on the 4runner (bc I didn't have a great place for the 6dB) and the 6dB on the tow rig. Just buy the upgraded antenna from the start, they're worth it and a huge upgrade (get the 6dB if you have a good place to put it). Even my cheap ass didn't try the little "standard issue" antenna that comes w/ the radio.

I've got mine setup where I just swap the radio back and forth b/t rigs (takes like 90 seconds tops). I use the mic and base speaker on mine and I haven't had the need for an external speaker (but I also don't make v8 noises on the trails either). The magnetic mount is clutch, especially on the 275 b/c, as Phillip said, you don't want it bouncing around (esp the 275 bc that's where all your controls are w/ the screen).

Really only thing to add is that I've heard from multiple, reputable sources that Midland is supposed to be coming out with a MXT575 this year. They currently have a 40w but this will be 50w and will have the mic controls like the 275 does. I will be buying one when they drop.

Last edited:
I can vouch for range, ease of use and dependability. Range is unreal as @No fries mentioned. Super nice to talk to your crew back at camp while out on the trails or other groups on other trails. @77GreenMachine and @adamk sat at camp and listened to some good wheeling heckling one afternoon in Harlan. "YOU GONNA HAVE TO HIT IT WITH A LOT MORE DALE'S THAN THAT!"

External speaker is definitely needed and with it I can hear everything even with hearing protection. I'll add that my cb speaker was not compatible with the external plug on the GMRS radio and I had to buy the Midland speaker.

GMRS radios are far superior and NOT comparable to your paw paws CB, or any CB for that matter. Anyone who attempts to argue this is, well, not worth arguing with.

I'll also add that you can transmit off repeater towers with a little minor programming (instructions in the user manual and not difficult to do) and you can talk to folks as far as Beaufort, NC (I was in Clemmons at the time).

I will neither confirm or deny that I have GMRS capability. I will confirm that I do have a Diamond 6dB antenna mounted on my Jeep.

I do have a GMRS license though.

If you are going to use someone's GMRS repeater for non emergency comms, you really should get the license. It's at a cost, I think it's now $50 (I got mine when it was $75) but there is no test.

I will neither confirm or deny that I have GMRS capability. I will confirm that I do have a Diamond 6dB antenna mounted on my Jeep.

I do have a GMRS license though.

If you are going to use someone's GMRS repeater for non emergency comms, you really should get the license. It's at a cost, I think it's now $50 (I got mine when it was $75) but there is no test.
Good point on the license. Also, the repeater towers are privately owned and operated and you need permission to use them. Brad Trogden owns most, or all, in NC and he very nice and has no problem granting permission. Just gotta ask.

I have an MXT-275 in my tow rig and a 115 in the jeep. People say the 115 in the jeep is hard to hear me, but I think it's more of an issue with the wind noise in the mic than the radio.

I really like the 275, and I've never had anyone in our group complain about its clarity. You can hide the main unit anywhere and run an RJ-45 extension cable and plug the mic in anywhere you want. The unit is behind the driver's knee panel.

20210912_162912.jpg

We have a thread in Offroadsc.com that details some of the legalities and the link to the license is in there somewhere Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It?

I have an MXT-275 in my tow rig and a 115 in the jeep. People say the 115 in the jeep is hard to hear me, but I think it's more of an issue with the wind noise in the mic than the radio.

I really like the 275, and I've never had anyone in our group complain about its clarity. You can hide the main unit anywhere and run an RJ-45 extension cable and plug the mic in anywhere you want. The unit is behind the driver's knee panel.

View attachment 358336

We have a thread in Offroadsc.com that details some of the legalities and the link to the license is in there somewhere Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It?

Dang that's a nice install! Really like how you did that!

Good point on the license. Also, the repeater towers are privately owned and operated and you need permission to use them. Brad Trogden owns most, or all, in NC and he very nice and has no problem granting permission. Just gotta ask.
Also a good point.

I have a BAOFENG "do all" [UV-5RTP] I just get it and I need to reprogram it to have the GMRS frequencies.
It only 2 months old :flipoff2:
Here a list of the frequencies

How easy is it to program the privacy codes?
As for this unit, I haven't really figured it out. I've been looking through YouTube but still not there. I have a couple walkies that I've figured out kinda. I'm hoping that someone at camp will get me up to speed.

I have an extra power cord and mounting bracket
Where did you find these? I've been struggling...

Also on the licensing note, I went to get my GMRS license and my radio guy said to wait to the first of the year. Apparently the prices are going to drop significantly.

Edit: I'm a dumbass and found them. Nevermind.....lol

Where did you find these? I've been struggling...

Also on the licensing note, I went to get my GMRS license and my radio guy said to wait to the first of the year. Apparently the prices are going to drop significantly.

Edit: I'm a dumbass and found them. Nevermind.....lol

I could not find the actual plug that came with the radio, so I ordered a pack of like 8 plugs from Amazon and cut the plug off and put on my own plug.

2 Wire Connector, MUYI 5 Kit... Amazon product ASIN B01A6LTK44

I'm looking at a Midland MXT275 unit for my Jeep. I have one to try out this weekend for Dixie Run so we'll see how it goes. I have very limited knowledge of this system, or any radio system. I've seen where I'm supposed to apply for a license, but I'm assuming most people don't have one.

What are you using as a mobile unit? What upgrades gave you done to work better? What brand/model are you using?
Agree with above comments. I'll add that Midland's customer service is second to none. Mine is out of warranty and I beat the brains out of the mic on my MXT115. I called them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Ham radio Master race FTW! :flipoff2: I may or may not have GMRS capability in all my vehicles.

High gain antennas are the best upgrade you can do for a mobile radio like this.

Also, there is not and will not be a 400w or 500w radio. Legal limit us 50w. This and using channels is what limits GMRS and let's it be test free.

Agree with above comments. I'll add that Midland's customer service is second to none. Mine is out of warranty and I beat the brains out of the mic on my MXT115. I called them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.
Dang, I didn't even think about warranting my microphone when it stopped working from getting caught under my seat. I'm going to see how well their dust proof microphone works.

Anyone seen any advertisements for a Black Friday sale? I’m in the market for a GMRS setup.

Was in Harlan last weekend and split my group into 2, I was at the entrance of Mason Jar talking to my other group at Lions Den, and also at one point talk to them while they were at White Tail Crawl and we were at Middle Rock Garden. These distances aren’t real far for those that don’t know, but are separated by several mountains.

One group ran channel 17 and the other 15 and we could flip over and talk to the other when needed.

I will say these are getting more popular and the chatter is picking up on them so learning privacy codes is going to be needed in the near future.

Back