GMRS Radio Tech

I’m a simple, cheap guy!!

image.jpg

There's a 575 also supposedly coming out that's 50w but has the buttons on the mic similar to the MXT275

But can it integrate into my RAM's Uconnect system with an app so I can use the built-in display? Yes, I'm having fun with the new [to me] truck... ;-)

Screenshot_20220106-205818_Chrome.jpg

They do want a pretty penny for them.

A 50W radio capable of GMRS isn't going to be a $100 radio. The Yaesu's Shawn mentioned are not UHF radios, only VHF so those won't work. The TH-9800 can be programmed for GMRS thru the TYT programming software and will run you about $220. A Yaesu FT8900, a Kenwood TM-V71a or other similar 40/50W radios are going to run about the same as the Midland but are more capable radio's and with a little bit of work can run GMRS (as well as ham frequencies).

If going GMRS only and if you want 50W, buy the Midland. It's ready to go out of the box. The ham radio solution isn't and may require some sort of modification and will require programming.

If going GMRS only and if you want 50W, buy the Midland. It's ready to go out of the box. The ham radio solution isn't and may require some sort of modification and will require programming.

That's all true, but not my point. If you have a 15W GMRS mobile and a good antenna located high on the vehicle but you think you need more power, don't go wasting money on a high-powered GMRS radio. The cost on them is stupid for one, but you'll get better performance out of a VHF radio of the same wattage for a lot less money. Plus you can use real repeaters.

I stick with GMRS cause a 5 year old can figure it out. Plug it in, select a channel (with no decimals) and rock out.

That other stuff is so confusing it’s over my head. Lord forbid I go wheeling with someone else and gotta change channels or something lol.

I can keep it simple, and if someone doesn’t have one we toss them an extra handheld that’s cheap to replace if something happens and it’s all good.

This will probably be my next GMRS mobile.

Amazon product ASIN B09C7JBBVY
I just got mine yesterday.

I came here to ask everyone's opinion. Should I keep my CB and add the GMRS, or just swap them out?

I really don't need the cab of my Jeep looking like a mobile tactical ops center. Does anyone still use CBs on the trail?

I came here to ask everyone's opinion. Should I keep my CB and add the GMRS, or just swap them out?

I really don't need the cab of my Jeep looking like a mobile tactical ops center. Does anyone still use CBs on the trail?
If they do they probably dont work right! lol I finally took mine out and just run the Midland.

Does anyone still use CBs on the trail?

I noticed a few groups using them the last weekend Uwharrie was open, but I think all of them had some other radio format too. The only reason I have one still is because that's what my dad has in his rig, and if it ever dies we'll ditch them.

Duane

When we started to transition to gmrs, I had cb mounted in the jeep and handheld gmrs. It's a pain in the ass to be the guy that has both, because you end up relaying messages. I eventually replaced the mounted cb with gmrs.

When we started to transition to gmrs, I had cb mounted in the jeep and handheld gmrs. It's a pain in the ass to be the guy that has both, because you end up relaying messages. I eventually replaced the mounted cb with gmrs.
That's where I'm at now. I've had a handheld baofeng in the truck for awhile.

Last couple times out, I noticed no one was talking on the CB. But I'm not running with a club. So, I was curious if bigger mainstream off-roaders/groups were still using them.

That's where I'm at now. I've had a handheld baofeng in the truck for awhile.

Last couple times out, I noticed no one was talking on the CB. But I'm not running with a club. So, I was curious if bigger mainstream off-roaders/groups were still using them.
Our club (Mid Carolina Jeepers) has moved to gmrs and several people have extra handhelds they pass out to those on rides without.

Our club has converted to GMRS. Hams can play along with FRS folks. CB is welcome but isn’t the main comms. To be in the loop requires someone with a dual setup. I honestly don’t think truckers use CB anymore, at least not like the old days.

I like that MXT575 as it’s similar in form to the CB I’ve had for years. Cobra 75 all in the Mic.

Like @77GreenMachine I see GMRS as simpler to understand and use. Easier licensing. Etc. I can see the VHF/UHF side of the argument too. Just lazy... or will be if I ever get around to buying one. ;-)

Our club has converted to GMRS. Hams can play along with FRS folks. CB is welcome but isn’t the main comms. To be in the loop requires someone with a dual setup. I honestly don’t think truckers use CB anymore, at least not like the old days.

I like that MXT575 as it’s similar in form to the CB I’ve had for years. Cobra 75 all in the Mic.

Like @77GreenMachine I see GMRS as simpler to understand and use. Easier licensing. Etc. I can see the VHF/UHF side of the argument too. Just lazy... or will be if I ever get around to buying one. ;-)
I'm a big fan of the VHF/UHF radios from baofeng and the like. They are stupid cheap on Amazon and programming them is as simple as cutting and pasting MS Excel worksheets. It's nice to be able to arrange your own channel list and have the ability to add repeaters, marine, ham, and weather stations to your list. Considering a base model costs about $30, you really can't go wrong with one.

So here’s a question.

Just got a mobile unit, looking at where to install. Most radios, whether CB, Ham, GMRS all want a solid ground to the chassis and hot straight to the battery for best performance. To me that means less interference, perhaps less electrical power loss, etc. They’ll say you can wire into fuse box but I’ve never had good results from that.

So… what about a 12v plug? Would let me worry less about exact install location, but those wires aren’t normally very heavy gauge.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So here’s a question.

Just got a mobile unit, looking at where to install. Must radios, whether CB, Ham, GMRS all want a solid ground to the chassis and hot straight to the battery for best performance. To me that means less interference, perhaps less electrical power loss, etc. They’ll say you can wire into fuse box but I’ve never had good results from that.

So… what about a 12v plug? Would let me worry less about exact install location, but those wires aren’t normally very heavy gauge.

Thoughts?

In my trucks I used this harness that powers off the back of a cigarette lighter socket. Works great and doesn't block a port.

RED WOLF Compatible with 2000-2021 GM Chevy GMC Buick Cadillac Escalade Add Backup Camera CB Radio Radar Detectors Portable GPS 12 V Cigarette Lighter Power Outlet Adapter Wire Harness Socket Amazon product ASIN B08W3581MK

All my radios use anderson power poles, and are wired to the battery with at least 10 ga wire.

Maybe, just maybe, that's overkill.

Wiring any equipment for a gauge that is adapted to the draw is probably the correct solution...

Maybe, just maybe, that's overkill.

Wiring any equipment for a gauge that is adapted to the draw is probably the correct solution...

Maybe for him. But my current mobile rig is a Yaesu FT857D 100W SSB HF radio. I used the stock yaesu wiring, and then copied that in my other setups.

So here’s a question.

Just got a mobile unit, looking at where to install. Most radios, whether CB, Ham, GMRS all want a solid ground to the chassis and hot straight to the battery for best performance. To me that means less interference, perhaps less electrical power loss, etc. They’ll say you can wire into fuse box but I’ve never had good results from that.

Thoughts?
I have a midland unit, I just plug it in to cigar lighter and use the magnetic mounted Antenna, switch it to the tow vehicle when we caravan same setup 12" plug and magnetic antenna, no problems with interference or tuning.

Back