GMRS Radio Tech

If it's a 50W radio, Personally, I wouldn't power it from a cigarette lighter. All my 50w mobiles are wired directly to the battery. I wouldn't trust a 10A max circuit. If it's one of the 15W units, you could get away with a cigarette lighter circuit.

This is a 50W unit. The wiring it came with is 14 gauge and has 15a fuses in-line on both pos and neg. I know some cig plugs are wired better than others but not clear how to determine.

Maybe tap into the wiring running to the inverter under the passenger seat? Again how to tell gauge.

cig plugs is a shit way to wire a coms equipment.

You're gonna pick up a shit ton of noise and it's probably undersized for 15amp.

Just do it right.

A buddy and I were just discussing this very subject. We're both tired of the static that comes the handheld 8W Baofengs. Looks like the Midlands are Chinese made as well. I don't mind spending the coin for the 50 watt Midland, but if there is a cheaper one that's just as good. Any input from you guys? Seen some reviews on the Wouxun KG 1000g. It's cheaper than the Midland.

A buddy and I were just discussing this very subject. We're both tired of the static that comes the handheld 8W Baofengs. Looks like the Midlands are Chinese made as well. I don't mind spending the coin for the 50 watt Midland, but if there is a cheaper one that's just as good. Any input from you guys? Seen some reviews on the Wouxun KG 1000g. It's cheaper than the Midland.
How far are you trying to talk over? A HT Baofeng should be crystal clear. Something with a good antenna and an external speaker has its own advantages, but a different format radio isn't necessarily going to cure your problem.

How far are you trying to talk over? A HT Baofeng should be crystal clear. Something with a good antenna and an external speaker has its own advantages, but a different format radio isn't necessarily going to cure your problem.
The static don’t necessarily happen when we try to talk. It happens when there is nothing being transmitted. It’s not just my radio either. Not sure what causes that.

The static don’t necessarily happen when we try to talk. It happens when there is nothing being transmitted. It’s not just my radio either. Not sure what causes that.
Sounds like RF interference. Have you tried turning the squelch up?

Disclaimer - I have only watched YouTube videos on the following products, I plan to purchase them.

Welcome to my TED talk.

So Baofeng (Bang-o-rang) came out with the BTech GMRS-Pro 5W GPS, Bluetooth, mobile radio. Based on what I have read and watched the Radio is a real BA. The radio can Bluetooth to your phone for programming, and to a headset for sweet navy seal operator style setup on a helmet, but waits there’s more: it can also send your location and text messages to other Btech GMRS pro radios. All the neat things.

Now here where I kinda get excited. I found Cardo headsets a while back, they are cool because they use Bluetooth? for short range / line of sight intercoms, and you can connect two Bluetooth devices to the headset at the same time. Cardo offer several models with different features and functionality, but the general idea is close range intercoms.

So WHY does all this have my pants tight?

Well in theory you can spend about $800 and have a wireless headset with a GMRS radio, Intercoms with the co-dog, and “dank” beats coming from your phone. A similar system, key piece is wireless, from Rugged Radios is $2k or more.

I plan to purchase this setup and give it a try, the radio has a 5 week lead time, slow boat from China gosh dangit.

Thoughts?

Back