got's a question or 3 about Harlan...

I won't be able to pull off the august trip just coming from a week off for the fourth. It's over 400 miles for me one way soo there is logistics and such to work out. I'm looking to pull this off next july. Going to be working up lodging options (a.c.baby!),trip rout with my old tow rig, trails to take,trails NOT to get on,etc.
Maybe I can crash a wedding too while there.
I liked the cabins at windrock. Anything available like that and in a good (relatively for the area) section? Ain't above slingin lead if the need be but don't need my crap stolen while I'm wheeling either.

I won't be able to pull off the august trip just coming from a week off for the fourth. It's over 400 miles for me one way soo there is logistics and such to work out. I'm looking to pull this off next july. Going to be working up lodging options (a.c.baby!),trip rout with my old tow rig, trails to take,trails NOT to get on,etc.
Maybe I can crash a wedding too while there.
I liked the cabins at windrock. Anything available like that and in a good (relatively for the area) section? Ain't above slingin lead if the need be but don't need my crap stolen while I'm wheeling either.
The Putney side cabins is where it’s at IMO for comfort and security. The cabins are right at the trailhead access with a lot of the type of trails you’re looking for.

As this debate opens yet again. And i love a good debate, here we go.
I stayed in the Black Mountain Cabins last weekend. Again. As an honorary citizen of Evarts, me thinks we have a street cred problem that is undeserved.
I never locked the door to my cabin or truck the entire time. Nothing was touched.
After 10+ years of hanging out in Evarts, i don't understand the paranoia.
The locals that i encountered were nice and polite. The Dairy Hut had me 2 orders ready @9am every morning. And the Dollar General has transmission fluid and Little Debbie swiss cake rolls.
Damn nice escape from reality for this old gangsta.
Just sayin...

I stayed in the Black Mountain Cabins last weekend. Again. As an honorary citizen of Evarts, me thinks we have a street cred problem that is undeserved.
I never locked the door to my cabin or truck the entire time. Nothing was touched.
The locals that i encountered were nice and polite. The Dairy Hut had me 2 orders ready @9am every morning. And the Dollar General has transmission fluid and Little Debbie swiss cake rolls.
Just sayin...
Never had anything bothered in Evarts. Tater munchers and hot fudge cake are hard to beat after a day on the trails.

Just sayin...

The first time I went to Harlan we stayed in the yellow rental house in evarts with the woodshop/shed in the yard. I was the first one from my group there, didn't know which road to take, barely got in, then had the 14 yr old neighbor kid tell me he shot someone jumping the back fence the night before trying to steal his fourwheeler.

We had no issues. I've stayed there in other houses and camped by the water treatment plant. Purely for wheeling, I like evarts better. It's close to our favorite trails, and it has the dairy hut. Downside is the bathrooms were usually all out of order by the end of the weekend, and the treatment plant stinks...

We switched to putney for the cabins and the pavilion for our event. I hate the 'access trail' to get to anything.

The first time I went to Harlan we stayed in the yellow rental house in evarts with the woodshop/shed in the yard. I was the first one from my group there, didn't know which road to take, barely got in, then had the 14 yr old neighbor kid tell me he shot someone jumping the back fence the night before trying to steal his fourwheeler.

We had no issues. I've stayed there in other houses and camped by the water treatment plant. Purely for wheeling, I like evarts better. It's close to our favorite trails, and it has the dairy hut. Downside is the bathrooms were usually all out of order by the end of the weekend, and the treatment plant stinks...

We switched to putney for the cabins and the pavilion for our event. I hate the 'access trail' to get to anything.

Agreed. I’ve stayed on both sides. Putney side has real nice cabins, but that’s the only advantage. I like the black mountain cabins on the Evarts side too, they’re simple with AC and a shower and they keep you dry.
That long trail in from the Putney side brings the suck after a few in and outs, especially if you break something. Evarts has way more main road access to all the good trails. Plus a gas station and tire shop. I’m good either way no matter where I stay, long as I’m wheeling in Harlan.
Used to feel uneasy about some folks in Evarts but it really ain’t that bad looking back. Think I may have been jumping to conclusions and a little too judge mental bout some of them folks...

Last edited:
I vote everts unless my fam is with me the cabins in Putney are super nice but that’s it everts has food stores gas bank the people are always nice but the fact is most of us are rolling in with tow rigs and trailers and buggies worth more then most the houses in that town and that’s always going to bring out the scum lookers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve stayed at both the Putney campground/cabins and Evarts campground/cabins/houses multiple times. I secure my stuff where ever I go. I never had a problem anywhere. Evarts is more convenient for me. Staying in a town that the locals support the businesses year round so I can enjoy eating, shopping and refueling during one of my visits is a plus. Any where you go there is going to be some sort of drug and crime problem. I think a terrorist attack is very unlikely in Evarts. Last fall I spent 4 nights in the Evarts campground. I met some great people there but I also ran across a few visitors that I would not turn my back on. I overheard comments that raised my awareness of my surroundings. I think Evarts does a great job of providing a place for me to pursue my passion in a responsible way . They have to put up with a lot of often loud busy traffic , a few over drinkers, and probably some frustration of their economic plight.

I've never stayed at putney, I've camped a few times in the rv park behind the dairy hit, but the last few times we've stayed at the black mountain cabin. I've never been bothered there, the old guy who lives at the entrance and runs the place is constantly moving around keeping an eye on things and the Harlan sheriff usually makes a loop twice a day through the parking lot.

As a bonus it has AC and a fridge, and since you're the only one using the bathroom it doesn't become a biohazard area by the end of the weekend like the campground bathhouse (shudder).

Evarts is much closer to the more popular trails and like everyone else says you pass the gas stations, grocery store, fast food, etc to and from the trails which is very convenient.

The driveway to the cabins is steep and gravel so you'll need a 4x4 tow rig or unload at the bottom and drive up separate is the way to go. I have a friend who made it up in a 2wd dually once unloaded so it's not that bad.

Last year we were supposed to go labor day weekend, but something got screwed up and our reservation was no good. If you make a reservation, you may want to call a few times over the months to be sure it's still good. I made the reservation in April and called the week before the trip and the girl couldn't understand why my reservation number was so low, I tried explaining that I made the call in April but she kept saying that the numbers were 1000 higher now. Long story short they were booked up and I'm glad I called before I got there with no where to stay. I think it was just a new system because that was the first year I didn't talk to Mike the owner directly.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Just sayin...

I started going up there in 08. I have never stayed in Evarts either. Mainly because I tent camp and to my knowledge there is not a decent bath house. I really wish someone would put a campground on that side with a nice bath house and pavilion. As for the ride up the mountain from Putney. I was at LRG every day in 30 minutes. If I took 15 it would have been less. For what it's worth if you have not visited The Pizza Portal in downtown Harlan you are missing a really cool place with some good food. I will be at Putney next July 2 - 7 which is when we are all anticipating next years Crawl will be.

I started going up there in 08. I have never stayed in Evarts either. Mainly because I tent camp and to my knowledge there is not a decent bath house. I really wish someone would put a campground on that side with a nice bath house and pavilion. As for the ride up the mountain from Putney. I was at LRG every day in 30 minutes. If I took 15 it would have been less. For what it's worth if you have not visited The Pizza Portal in downtown Harlan you are missing a really cool place with some good food. I will be at Putney next July 2 - 7 which is when we are all anticipating next years Crawl will be.

Dude you’re missing out! There is really nice tile bath houses right there at the entrance on the Evarts side. My first time there I tent camped for $10 a night. They provide a nice raised wooden platform for tents and the showers were far away so we hopped in the Jeep but they were super nice, clean and well lit.

North Evarts campground has excellent facilities.

The driveway to the cabins is steep and gravel so you'll need a 4x4 tow rig or unload at the bottom and drive up separate is the way to go. I have a friend who made it up in a 2wd dually once unloaded so it's not that bad.

And one time I towed a 2wd dually/trailer/rig up that hill :D How is he doing by the way, I don't' see him on here very often. He still rocking my old cage?

And one time I towed a 2wd dually/trailer/rig up that hill :D How is he doing by the way, I don't' see him on here very often. He still rocking my old cage?
I don't see him often anymore either, he moved to Wilmington from fayetteville and wheels with a different group of guys now. Last time we spoke he still had it on the jeep.

Dude you’re missing out! There is really nice tile bath houses right there at the entrance on the Evarts side. My first time there I tent camped for $10 a night. They provide a nice raised wooden platform for tents and the showers were far away so we hopped in the Jeep but they were super nice, clean and well lit.
Where? I've never seen it. Never seen any wooden platforms either. We were at the pay cabin for a while on Wednesday trying to get the dead MJ alive.....

North Evarts campground has excellent facilities.

Never heard of it I'll have to look that up. Thanks for the info...

Last edited:
@ghost its the area before you cross the rail raid track near the river. Usually lots of campers there, not sure if you can tent camp there or not. That’s where the nice shower houses are. Lots of folks with toy haulers and ATVs and SXS camp there.

The platforms are after the pay cabin when you go in, on up to the right. I’d have to look at the map to point them out. I’ll try to screen shot and point it out a little later for you.

@ghost its the area before you cross the rail raid track near the river. Usually lots of campers there, not sure if you can tent camp there or not. That’s where the nice shower houses are. Lots of folks with toy haulers and ATVs and SXS camp there.

The platforms are after the pay cabin when you go in, on up to the right. I’d have to look at the map to point them out. I’ll try to screen shot and point it out a little later for you.
I think I know exactly where you are talking about. When I went to Evarts for fuel last week I saw a mess of campers on the other side of the RR tracks.

Just went up there this past week. Stayed Wed-Sun. Rail bed, lower rock garden, lower Damnation, killing time, grape vine, middle rock garden, Lions Den, Your turn, Lower and upper profanity, Crawford's Cry, White tail crawl. I am sure there are others, but don't remember the names or the numbers. When it's wet, things change. But, that's why we have winches right? So many scenic trails! It's a beautiful place to wheel. As far as the people, never a problem. They are always so nice. Gas(Evarts) pull up, fill up,....THEN go in and pay for it! Breakfast, gravy and biscuits, eggs choice of meat, around 5 bucks. Premium gas was I think $3.09. Need something, Dollar General, Family Dollar, subway, ATM at the bank, few other small restaurants. Nope my 2WD truck wouldn't pull my Jeep up the hill at Black Mnt Cabins, lol wouldn't pull the empty trailer up either! Just too much torque in that 8.1 Lt truck. Cabins very basic, shower head around chest high for me, trouble rincing the arm pits and ears. Very small, Knee's hit one wall, ass hit the other when bending LOL. Microwave, fridge/freezer and coffee pot. Care taker was up and down the hill often in his Gator. no troubles at all. Over all, one of my top three fav places to wheel. I prefer the campground behind the Dairy Hut, Convenient to everything. You can drive your rig on the road, as long as you don't go too fast or act stupid. Trip up for me, fill up before I leave, fill up in Gate City, then again in Gate City on the way home. Come home with a half a tank. There Premium was $3.03
I have never had any issues with any of the locals, Although, I have seen some stuff, but that was it.
Bottom line, Go, no matter what you are driving on the trail, enough to keep you having fun!

ok,I'm sold on the idea. It will have to wait till the week of june 29th to july 7th next year. The way we have done it in the past, leave here on saturday and go half way.Crash for the night and then finnish up arriving on sunday.Wheel monday through wednesday and venture back thursday/friday with the second sat. and sunday set aside to mope and pout about going back to work. This is how we did the trips to Windrock 2 years in a row.
Damn,I've done set up a trip!
I want a.c. and comfort when it's down time. I work hard driving Nellie and by the end of the day,look foreward to cooling off,taking a good shower.and relaxin to prep up for the next day. Hell,for that matter,my tow rig is gonna be work being a low powered f350 with a 5 speed and no a.c. I foresee alot of tranny shifting that whole week.
Which route will be best to take to get to the area? I know it also depends on where I am staying will be part of deciding the route. My F350 only has a 5.8 so when I hit the grades,it will slow down. A LOT! When I went to Blackey (which is west of Whitesburg,county above Harlan),it was 77 to 81 an then onto alt.58 at Abingdon to head north and then cross into Kentucky at Pound Gap/Jenkins.
Will i still be going sort of this route to get there?

I know I am very wiery of people in general, I love the easy access of the putney side with gas and food. But aint no way in hell my family will ever stay there, I have had Debra cussed and called a whore for no reason at the store. same night two guys followed another members wife into the showerhouse.
Never again.
Maybe it was a rare occurance, there are shitheads everywhere!
Camping in a tent behind the dairy hut blows ass, no trees, right next to highway. The little campground up pass the pass house is nice.

From fayetteville I take 421 to Greensboro 52 out of Winston Salem to i77. Go up fancy gap take i81 to i26n in Kingsport TN . I26 becomes us23 and takes you to gate city Va. From there us421 takes you to Harlan and ky38 from Harlan to Evarts if you decide to stay on that side. It's not a terrible tow, three steep climbs, i77 at fancy gap, then two on 421 between gate city and Harlan with a hairpin curve too. I think the speed limit on both of those climbs are 45 or 55 and it's a two lane road to boot.

Whatever you do don't take 421 from Bristol to gate city. That was miserable with a trailer and took twice as long as staying on 81 to kingsport would. I did that the first year and people would cheer when I pulled over to let them by. I swear at one point I could have touched the rear of the trailer from the driver seat.

From north Fayetteville it takes us about 7 to 8 hours to get there, stopping at a cracker barrel for lunch, at least one fuel stop and a few pee breaks.

ok,I'm sold on the idea. It will have to wait till the week of june 29th to july 7th next year. The way we have done it in the past, leave here on saturday and go half way.Crash for the night and then finnish up arriving on sunday.Wheel monday through wednesday and venture back thursday/friday with the second sat. and sunday set aside to mope and pout about going back to work. This is how we did the trips to Windrock 2 years in a row.
I want a.c. and comfort when it's down time. I work hard driving Nellie and by the end of the day,look foreward to cooling off,taking a good shower.and relaxin to prep up for the next day. Hell,for that matter,my tow rig is gonna be work being a low powered f350 with a 5 speed and no a.c. I foresee alot of tranny shifting that whole week.
Which route will be best to take to get to the area? I know it also depends on where I am staying will be part of deciding the route. My F350 only has a 5.8 so when I hit the grades,it will slow down. A LOT! When I went to Blackey (which is west of Whitesburg,county above Harlan),it was 77 to 81 an then onto alt.58 at Abingdon to head north and then cross into Kentucky at Pound Gap/Jenkins.

You will love Harlan. The access trails go on forever, Lots of elevation change and the views are spectacular! Nellie Bellle is gonna love it also.
FWIW, my will specifically states that my ashes are to be chunked off at the entrance to Mason Jar. No shit.

First time I towed up there I was using a 1999 Tahoe with a 5.7...I made it... but it was sloooooow on the steep climbs, like 15 to 20 mph with the pedal on the floor

Back