got's a question or 3 about Harlan...

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
been 3 years since I've done a long distance trip over our closure time the week of quatro de Julio. I'm gettin that itch. Been to Windrock twice now and while it's fun,it's also a haul. Harlan is a haul also I know. Used to go to Whitesburg Kentucky a couple times a year to visit grand folks.
Ya'll know what i wheel and the style of wheeling I do. I ride and explore and the more distance,the better. I'm borderline a expeditionist but way cooler soooooooo...
worth my time and energy to concider a trip there? All I see are pictures of tough spots and rolled rigs.

I’d say plenty of exploring on main trails that take you to the difficult spots. Maps are good and trails are marked. You could spend 2 days just trying to see everything. I don’t know what you have but I started years ago with lifted Suburban on 35s, then on to a truck with 42s and now with a buggy. There has been plenty to do and plenty of challenges. Still haven’t made up Pony Hill

I love Harlan, more for the sightseeing than the hardcore stuff. It's huge with tons of overlooks. I've spent an entire day just riding the gravel main trails that you could take a regular pickup truck on.

Most of the extreme stuff is right off the main trail so you don't have to get jammed up without seeing what you're getting yourself into.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

In my opinion, Harlan has more convenient trails for mild built rigs. Windrock is huge, and I may just not know it as well, but I dont feel like I cover as much trail miles there as I do at harlan.

I dont know what you drive, but my experience is locked rigs and 35s and I like Harlan better.

Come up on to helicopter pad last weekend.
18baea4b35446a385f39fa7a2e6f05fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just repeating what’s already been said for no particular reason...

Harlan is my favorite places. There is plenty to see on blue and green trails. Main roads for miles. About every trail has a view better than the top of Daniel. Its worth riding to Mason Jar even if you don’t run the trail because of the view from the entrance. And if you feel like you can get over the first ledge, you could run the whole trail carefully. It’s my favorite trail.

I even enjoy to ride to Harlan myself.
If you joined us (CTB) at Harlan I’m sure there will be a mild group you could join because @Jus Jim is old as dirt, he rode over on the Ark, and @CasterTroy don’t wanna get dirty so they will be with the senior/disabled crowd :D

I’m actually probably going to have an open seat if you wanted to get wild.

Just giving you guys a hard time.

CTB is going Aug 10

Come with us...we won't be hitting Lions Den (well...maybe late Saturday on a bet) but the more tame trails.

I'm making that bet and so is @77GreenMachine hopefully one or two more will as well.

But I'm sure the list will include Fish Fossil, Lower Rock Garden, Rail Bed, Killin Time, and Mason Jar. Along with a few tame(erish) trails.

I'm making that bet and so is @77GreenMachine hopefully one or two more will as well.

But I'm sure the list will include Fish Fossil, Lower Rock Garden, Rail Bed, Killin Time, and Mason Jar. Along with a few tame(erish) trails.

If you haven't done Your Turn, you should. Really fun creek trail with some nice ledges that you can make as hard or as easy as you want.

I plan to attend that weekend as I was invited by a red headed/bearded dude yesterday.
I'm kinda scared. Will ya'll take it easy on me if I go?

I plan to attend that weekend as I was invited by a red headed/bearded dude yesterday.
I'm kinda scared. Will ya'll take it easy on me if I go?

Lol we'll take it easy :popcorn: I'm excited just to hear that small block in the Ranger or are you gonna bring a different rig.

If you haven't done Your Turn, you should. Really fun creek trail with some nice ledges that you can make as hard or as easy as you want.

It's been years since I've been to Harlan but that trail name sounds familiar. I need to dig my map out so I can plan what I want to hit that Friday.

I’ve never hit Your Turn but I’d love to try. If I grenade my junk I want to ride with the famous @Jody Treadway but I bet there is a line of groupies ahead of me lol.

been 3 years since I've done a long distance trip over our closure time the week of quatro de Julio. I'm gettin that itch. Been to Windrock twice now and while it's fun,it's also a haul. Harlan is a haul also I know. Used to go to Whitesburg Kentucky a couple times a year to visit grand folks.
Ya'll know what i wheel and the style of wheeling I do. I ride and explore and the more distance,the better. I'm borderline a expeditionist but way cooler soooooooo...
worth my time and energy to concider a trip there? All I see are pictures of tough spots and rolled rigs.

Like mentioned there are lots of over looks and views. IIRC you wheel an old cj? I'd estimate there are 200 miles of roads and trails on that mountain. There are two helicopter pads IIRC, like mentioned an old train depot and some type of gold fish pond.

Just ran all these this past weekend. Exit to Fish Fossil is rutted bad and stopped anyone smaller then 35's. Lower Rock Garden was about the same with exits all along the trail. Rail Bed was great, the easy exits are now rutted bad and stopped most guys smaller then 35's. one of our guys on 32's went out the last exit to the right. Killin Time was great only one issue was after the tree. Mason Jar we had 2 jeeps on 32's walk the entrance and took all the bypasses up.

There are many miles of gravel roads. The hard stuff is optional. You will want to go to hawk eye over look, mason jar, and bald knob. For a year or so I only had a jeep on 32's and still had fun in Harlan.

Your turn = your turn to winch. :beer::beer:

Just repeating what’s already been said for no particular reason...

If you joined us (CTB) at Harlan I’m sure there will be a mild group you could join because @Jus Jim is old as dirt, he rode over on the Ark, and @CasterTroy don’t wanna get dirty so they will be with the senior/disabled crowd :D
Just giving you guys a hard time.

great thing about being as old as the rocks you're riding on is there are plenty of spry youngsters available to pull winch line. ya wouldn't want an old timer to throw out a back of sumfin. :D

Back