got's a question or 3 about Harlan...

. But aint no way in hell my family will ever stay there, I have had Debra cussed and called a whore for no reason at the store. same night two guys followed another members wife into the showerhouse..

1-1 They obviously didn't know who they were fucking with. I would rather jack off a bobcat with a handful of briers than mess with Jason Watson.
Dem jarheads are tough ya know.

1-2 I wish i was there to help you mop up afterwards. Chlorine and powdered lime my friend...

Been Wheeling there since 2005 opening weekend. In fact, my old YJ was the first non-KYMC to run Mason Jar. I know, gimme a cardboard cookie

Nowadays we crash at the Quality Inn b/c I like coffee in the am and a comfy place to crap.

I do remember back in Aug of 05 "camping" at the top of Cream Puff for a week solid with @35xj, @Puffy, their ladies and by buddies Ben and Billy. We were celebrating my divorce from a Succubus. We bathed in the creek, crapped at Dairy Hut and fell asleep in camp chairs all week.
One of the best times during one of the worse times in my life.
Go wheel, lock your stuff up and be aware. You be fine!

Last edited:
Been Wheeling there since 2005 opening weekend. In fact, my old YJ was the first non-KYMC to run Mason Jar. I know, gimme a cardboard cookie

Nowadays we crash at the Comfort Inn b/c I like coffee in the am and a comfy place to crap.

I do remember back in Aug of 05 "camping" at the top of Cream Puff for a week solid with @35xj, @Puffy, their ladies and by buddies Ben and Billy. We were celebrating my divorce from a Succubus. We bathed in the creek, crapped at Dairy Hut and fell asleep in camp chairs all week.
One of the best times during one of the worse times in my life.
Go wheel, lock your stuff up and be aware. You be fine!
where is the comfort inn located and what is it's proximity to the trails? Gas and food at that same location also?

A good place for you and maybe a few others would be above the welding guys shop. He just turned it into an apartment. I don’t have his contact info but maybe someone on here does. It’s directly behind his house and he is retired so he is there all the time, only down side is you will have people in the know about him rolling up at all hours. He has told us he is up and will weld on stuff till about 2am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good place for you and maybe a few others would be above the welding guys shop. He just turned it into an apartment. I don’t have his contact info but maybe someone on here does. It’s directly behind his house and he is retired so he is there all the time, only down side is you will have people in the know about him rolling up at all hours. He has told us he is up and will weld on stuff till about 2am.

My dad has stayed there a few times. Its Larry's Welding, but I dont have the number.

My dad has stayed there a few times. Its Larry's Welding, but I dont have the number.

I’ve never stayed there but have ended up there with someone every time fixing something and have checked the apartment out and it looks pretty nice. And the old man is super nice and always takes care of us, “Not rich upity know nothings that don’t know how to fix what they broke”. Aka we show up and use his welder and he watches and we give him more cash then he says he wants.

I’ve never stayed there but have ended up there with someone every time fixing something and have checked the apartment out and it looks pretty nice. And the old man is super nice and always takes care of us, “Not rich upity know nothings that don’t know how to fix what they broke”. Aka we show up and use his welder and he watches and we give him more cash then he says he wants.

Yep. I used his welder to butt weld a superduty driveshaft together, that we got raped by a Harlan junkyard to buy, after we cut it down to fit the front of my buddies rig. The double cardan blew apart on white tail pass out first trail on our first day.

The junkyard was crazy high cause we weren't from round there, but Larry is a great guy.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

IMG_20131019_191817_295.jpg

X1000 for Larry the welder. Twice I’ve had to go visit him. I think next time I’ll stop in to say hello even if I don’t have a need. He’s just a really nice guy.

not too worried about a welder.Nellie is equiped with a weldernator and I'll have my hobart handler with me also.Rob will tell ya,when I go off long distance,I bring most everything I need to be self sufficiant. Having a crew cab utility bed work truck gives me plenty of storage and hauling capabilities.

First time I towed up there I was using a 1999 Tahoe with a 5.7...I made it... but it was sloooooow on the steep climbs, like 15 to 20 mph with the pedal on the floor

I have towed up there with a Jeep truck sporting a 304 and a T-18 all hills 2nd gear and a comfortable RPM
a Dodge RV with a 440 broke down almost all the time, run hot, it sucked
a 84 car hauler with a 454, pulling a pop up 3rd gear and a decent RPM
a Ford E-250 with a 460, In the hills it stayed in 2nd gear and the 4 barrel sucked the tanks
and my RV with a Triton V-10, 2nd best in the pulling of the hills, but she does some screaming!
BUt just bought me a Chevy truck with a 8.1 and an Allison, and WOW, pulled all the hills at or above the speed limit, and got the same mileage as my RV! (which isn't bragging, ~6MPG)

I know I am very wiery of people in general, I love the easy access of the putney side with gas and food. But aint no way in hell my family will ever stay there, I have had Debra cussed and called a whore for no reason at the store. same night two guys followed another members wife into the showerhouse.
Never again.
Maybe it was a rare occurance, there are shitheads everywhere!
Camping in a tent behind the dairy hut blows ass, no trees, right next to highway. The little campground up pass the pass house is nice.

Had some friends that stayed there last week, and they took a small 5000BTU AC window unit, and zipped it into the doorway, said it stayed nice in there at night, not so good during the day though.

not too worried about a welder.Nellie is equiped with a weldernator and I'll have my hobart handler with me also.Rob will tell ya,when I go off long distance,I bring most everything I need to be self sufficiant. Having a crew cab utility bed work truck gives me plenty of storage and hauling capabilities.

There's a little shop in the putney campground that has a compressor and I think a welder. You can use it as long as its during business hours when the office is open.

I won't be able to pull off the august trip just coming from a week off for the fourth. It's over 400 miles for me one way soo there is logistics and such to work out. I'm looking to pull this off next july. Going to be working up lodging options (a.c.baby!),trip rout with my old tow rig, trails to take,trails NOT to get on,etc.
Maybe I can crash a wedding too while there.
I liked the cabins at windrock. Anything available like that and in a good (relatively for the area) section? Ain't above slingin lead if the need be but don't need my crap stolen while I'm wheeling either.
Leave the lead slingin for Ure

Keep him in mind still, he's a pretty well equipped fan shop. Huge band saw, sawzall, drill press etc. You never know what may happen when you're a ways from home.

There's a little shop in the putney campground that has a compressor and I think a welder. You can use it as long as its during business hours when the office is open.

You can air up anytime. the compressor is in the building but the hose is outside.

Keep him in mind still, he's a pretty well equipped fan shop. Huge band saw, sawzall, drill press etc. You never know what may happen when you're a ways from home.

Oh I will .

ok,I'm sold on the idea. It will have to wait till the week of june 29th to july 7th next year. The way we have done it in the past, leave here on saturday and go half way.Crash for the night and then finnish up arriving on sunday.Wheel monday through wednesday and venture back thursday/friday with the second sat. and sunday set aside to mope and pout about going back to work. This is how we did the trips to Windrock 2 years in a row.
Damn,I've done set up a trip!
and.....it's on! Got a 2 bedroom cabin reserved from sunday night to thursday morning. Staying in Putney at the Harlan County Campground.
gotta put in seat belts but hey, don't require a roll bar so I'm good.
hit me up with a listing of trails to run. I like a mix. There is a 38 mile run that starts at Whitesburg and runs to just north of Harlan that is a cruise along the ridge lines that I want to try and work in.I know it's for the most part not ya'lls type of thing. If I did it going both ways,that in itself would eat up a full day.It's called the Little Shepard Trail. That might also be used as a run on a rainy day.
The crew I'll be rolling with are fairly capable rigs. Something similar to the old Welder Trail at Calilente would be the top of the difficulty list.

and.....it's on! Got a 2 bedroom cabin reserved from sunday night to thursday morning. Staying in Putney at the Harlan County Campground.
gotta put in seat belts but hey, don't require a roll bar so I'm good.
hit me up with a listing of trails to run. I like a mix. There is a 38 mile run that starts at Whitesburg and runs to just north of Harlan that is a cruise along the ridge lines that I want to try and work in.I know it's for the most part not ya'lls type of thing. If I did it going both ways,that in itself would eat up a full day.It's called the Little Shepard Trail. That might also be used as a run on a rainy day.
The crew I'll be rolling with are fairly capable rigs. Something similar to the old Welder Trail at Calilente would be the top of the difficulty list.
Good luck. The weather looks rough.

When are you going? Rail Bed, Fish Fossil, Lower Rock Garden and Killin Time are all close adn fun.

I plan on being there the 2nd - 7th with NAXJA for our annual SEC Crawl event. If it's that time frame you should stop by and say hi. Join in and watch some of these nuts in there xj's too!

Back