Ham Operators, Check In

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
Did a search and didn't see anything on this in the last several years. Who all has their amateur radio license? I know several who do on here. Post up your call sign and location/s. Maybe some folks can link up. Feel free to show off any gear or projects you're working on.

I'm currently working on a J-beam antenna for 2m.

KO4HYX, Hamptonville and Charlotte.

Oh and a dipole for 2m and 70 cm is easy to make.

Yea, I built a 2m 70 cm dipole. I've got in in the attic.

20201010_173143.jpg

But I've got a buddy who lives in Burlington, and we are trying to talk on 2m. Why? Because someone said we can't. I've got my general, and he's working on his, so its just a fun little challenge.

I'm studying right now. Going to try to test in the next few months to get mine. This post is mostly to subscribe.

I'm studying right now. Going to try to test in the next few months to get mine. This post is mostly to subscribe.

I used hamstudy.org and did great. Tech was easy, and general wasn't bad. I tried for my extra but failed. I'm studying for it now.

KN4BBA here. I'm an extra in Wentworth.

Our club in Rockingham County does VE testing. The next session is Saturday Nov 21st. We do our test sessions on computers, just like the practice tests. We have set up socially distanced computers that are sanitized after each use for everyone's safety.

One of these days. I'll actually get an antenna up and the Yaesu running. Currently using a HT and I'm primarily on the 147.345 repeater in Madison.

K4ICK (tech)
The callsign belonged to my "uncle" (zero blood relation) and was granted to me by the FCC.

Nothing up/working ATM, but have several cheap HT's, a decent (don't recall brand/model) 2M/7Cm mobile rig & Astron VS-35 power supply, and a vintage Icom IC-725... all awaiting setup here at the new place.

Icom IC-725.JPG

KF4ZGZ - Extra
This #$#@&^*% hobby has cost me as much if not more than wheelin' has!

Our small Field day group (N4CWZ - My buddy, my wife and I ) finished first in state, first in region and 7th nationally in Field Day this year !!!

shack.jpg

I had a Icom IC-725 like that several years ago ..... bare bones, but a darn good radio!

Subscribed. Want to get my license, was going to study before COVID, figured no one was testing now. Recently received a Baofeng hand-held as a gift, now really need to get a license so I can key up (no, I will not be using it illegally.)

At first I checked to see if this was in the garage, so I didn't click on some weird jerking off thread. Then I thought this might be about sammich making...now I realize I apparently need more culture.

Subscribed. Want to get my license, was going to study before COVID, figured no one was testing now. Recently received a Baofeng hand-held as a gift, now really need to get a license so I can key up (no, I will not be using it illegally.)

We are testing up in Wentworth. Nov 21st is our next session. We use computers and sanitize between people. Starts at 9am.

Spend a few hours on QRZ.com taking the practice tests. You have to sign up on QRZ for an account but everything is free for the test material.

Let me know if you are interested in taking the test.

The tech test is easy. I used hamstudy.org and had great success. I also listened to han radio crash course on you tube and Spotify.

But I've got a buddy who lives in Burlington, and we are trying to talk on 2m. Why? Because someone said we can't. I've got my general, and he's working on his, so its just a fun little challenge.

You both should be able to hit repeaters on Sauratown Mtn. or one around Greensboro.
There are a couple of repeater directorys online or you can simply google them.
A simple 2m ground plane outside the house or the atttic dipole should do it for you.

You both should be able to hit repeaters on Sauratown Mtn. or one around Greensboro.
There are a couple of repeater directorys online or you can simply google them.
A simple 2m ground plane outside the house or the atttic dipole should do it for you.

I get into the sauratown mtn repeater ok, weather permitting. For whatever reason, he can't.

Today's project.

20201108_122826.jpg

It'll go on a 10ft pvc pipe, on top of my chimney. Decided to try a plain j pole before a j beam. Total cost: $8

KJ4DNF

Haven't done much with it. Got a 2m in the truck that I hardly ever drive, and put an antenna on the rubicon but never got around to putting a radio in.

Maybe one day....

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Just found this on Facebook
4bff8af139374319ea64695d381a8dd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If only I weren't at work, and lived closer to fayettenam

New J pole is up, and my Christmas from the misses is up and running. Yaesu FT-2980R

20201123_115512.jpg

20201125_151940.jpg

Tell me what you can hit and when yer on and or listening and I'll try to give a shout.
I have a shack full of un-used 2m stuff.
Might as well use it!

Tell me what you can hit and when yer on and or listening and I'll try to give a shout.
I have a shack full of un-used 2m stuff.
Might as well use it!

I can hit sauratown well now. Shoot me a pm and we will link up.

KG4CJL in Locust. I'm a Tech. I've had an on-again, off-again relationship with HAM radio for a long time, currently off-again. I still have a dual band radio in my tow rig, but I barely ever drive that truck. I love it, but I work in two way radio, so some times it just feels like taking my work home with me.

Taking my technician test next Sunday. Already have a yaesu 7250. I am being told I need to get my antenna higher.
d8a35d0b1ca31dc20de2c363054e0d5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back