Ham Operators, Check In

Jumping in with both feets !
Only way I do it lol. Im having a ball building antennas. Next on the docket is a portable 20m dipole for POTA and finish my 2m yagi.

From one VE to another, congratulations.

Thanks. I also got on with the Laurel Amateur Radio Club VEC. Several of the guys in my local group suggested it.

I'm with W5YI and do sessions with RCARC in Rockingham County. The issue with Laurel is how long things take once the session is processed. It's directly a function of not collecting any exam fee. W5YI collects $14, half of that stays with our coordinator for exam expenses (postage, supplies, etc)

I'm with W5YI and do sessions with RCARC in Rockingham County. The issue with Laurel is how long things take once the session is processed. It's directly a function of not collecting any exam fee. W5YI collects $14, half of that stays with our coordinator for exam expenses (postage, supplies, etc)

Next business day? Most people, from what I hear, are getting it within a couple days with LARC. But thats my big complaint with the ARRL is it costs money and takes a couple weeks.

Next business day? Most people, from what I hear, are getting it within a couple days with LARC. But thats my big complaint with the ARRL is it costs money and takes a couple weeks.
Then they have got better. Not all that long ago, Laurel was taking over a week. ARRL, yeah, they are 2-3 weeks providing they don't lose the session paperwork.

Then they have got better. Not all that long ago, Laurel was taking over a week. ARRL, yeah, they are 2-3 weeks providing they don't lose the session paperwork.

Thats just from some VEs I know that are working with the group in King. I guess time will tell. Ill be doing my first session (ARRL) on the 5th at the Clingman ham fest. Which is neat, since thats where I got my license.

Thats just from some VEs I know that are working with the group in King. I guess time will tell. Ill be doing my first session (ARRL) on the 5th at the Clingman ham fest. Which is neat, since thats where I got my license.
Cool, have fun.

Our next session is March 26th. We have gone 100% computer so there isn't a lot of work for the VE's. I get to worry the Thursday before the session as I try to get all the laptops to talk to the network printer as each test will print on that printer.

Cool, have fun.

Our next session is March 26th. We have gone 100% computer so there isn't a lot of work for the VE's. I get to worry the Thursday before the session as I try to get all the laptops to talk to the network printer as each test will print on that printer.
Interesting. I havent seen anyone doing it like that. The ones Ive seen are either remote or paper. Curious as to how yall work that.

Interesting. I havent seen anyone doing it like that. The ones Ive seen are either remote or paper. Curious as to how yall work that.
We download the test software and have it installed on each laptop which is networked to a common printer. The software looks and feels like any of the practice tests. Once the examinee is done, it gives them the review option or close and grade the test. One of our VE's explain how it all works to the examinee and when they are done, they tell one of us who will submit the test to grading and printing. The examinee sees an interface they are used to and we are doing our best to make them comfortable. Once the test is submitted, the examinee gets an answer yeah or nay on the results.

It makes things really easy on everyone. We have been doing exams this way now for close to 3 years now, just before covid hit. It really has worked out well. I don't know if any other VEC other than W5YI are using the software in an online capacity. I do know we are one of only a few doing it this way. Our current version is hamtest 24. When the test pool changes again, there will be a new version and we will download that and then test based on that version.

We download the test software and have it installed on each laptop which is networked to a common printer. The software looks and feels like any of the practice tests. Once the examinee is done, it gives them the review option or close and grade the test. One of our VE's explain how it all works to the examinee and when they are done, they tell one of us who will submit the test to grading and printing. The examinee sees an interface they are used to and we are doing our best to make them comfortable. Once the test is submitted, the examinee gets an answer yeah or nay on the results.

It makes things really easy on everyone. We have been doing exams this way now for close to 3 years now, just before covid hit. It really has worked out well. I don't know if any other VEC other than W5YI are using the software in an online capacity. I do know we are one of only a few doing it this way. Our current version is hamtest 24. When the test pool changes again, there will be a new version and we will download that and then test based on that version.

Man, thats pretty slick! I think its great to tailor the testing experience to how most folks are studying now. And it seems to eliminate a lot of the fuss as well. Whats the turnaround time for a new call? I imagine next business day, maybe two?

Man, thats pretty slick! I think its great to tailor the testing experience to how most folks are studying now. And it seems to eliminate a lot of the fuss as well. Whats the turnaround time for a new call? I imagine next business day, maybe two?
We normally have the session into W5YI on Saturday afternoon. Tracy at W5YI processes them Monday morning and they are usually submitted to the FCC Monday afternoon. The call signs are usually in the database Tuesday or Wednesday.

Helped inventory and move Jimmy KB4GKI (sk) stuff today. Had some pretty awesome bits.

20220514_105556.jpg

20220514_105622.jpg

20220514_105820.jpg

20220514_105626.jpg

I picked up a yaesu FT-840, Rohn telescoping pole, vertical, signalink USB, and an MFJ straight key.

20220514_103533.jpg

20220514_132353.jpg

20220514_130610.jpg

Attachments

• 20220514_105622.jpg
    20220514_105622.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 79
Field day was a blast.

20220625_111328.jpg

20220625_142426.jpg

Did some horse trading and swapped the FT-840 for a FT-818ND with some goodies.

20220627_173731.jpg

I missed it for the first time in 20 years this year.
The post Covid issues just made me decide that staying up, all night , outdoors, with the focus of a 2-yr old on a sugar buzz would not be a good idea.
We typically run 1A and win state and region and placed 8th or 9th in the nation last year.

I missed it for the first time in 20 years this year.
The post Covid issues just made me decide that staying up, all night , outdoors, with the focus of a 2-yr old on a sugar buzz would not be a good idea.
We typically run 1A and win state and region and placed 8th or 9th in the nation last year.
We ran 2B. We just setup for fun. Got run off the mountain early by a storm.

We ran 2A this year. We were not in it for the points although we also ran a VE session. It was for fun and comraderie this year.

We ran 2A this year. We were not in it for the points although we also ran a VE session. It was for fun and comraderie this year.

Yep, we werent in it for points for sure. We were mostly there to eat lol.

Yep, we werent in it for points for sure. We were mostly there to eat lol.
Yep. Had the smoker set up for pork products, the motorhome for coffee and a place to crash in case one had a few too many adult beverages and somewhere around 9pm Saturday the bourbon came out of hiding and all radio activities stopped while we enjoyed a cigar and a beverage or three

Yep. Had the smoker set up for pork products, the motorhome for coffee and a place to crash in case one had a few too many adult beverages and somewhere around 9pm Saturday the bourbon came out of hiding and all radio activities stopped while we enjoyed a cigar and a beverage or three
Gotta love it man. I enjoy getting together and fellowshipping with the guys in our group. We arent a club, just a bunch of folks that like to eat and occasionally talk on the radio lol.

I am *attempting* to get on ft8. Have a sound card, have wsjtx set up. But it won't key the radio in vox. Damn technology.

20220703_153014.jpg

20220704_102155.jpg

20220704_102535.jpg

Got it yet?
I'm running FT8 as a K2J NC op.
Post a pic of the "radio" tab.

Got it yet?
I'm running FT8 as a K2J NC op.
Post a pic of the "radio" tab.
unfortunately, not yet. I have a signalink box as well and am going to build a cable for it. How did you get on as a K2J op? I would love to do it next year. That and operate from BB55 is on my bucket list.

Contact Tony Jones, N4ATJ (N4ATJ@twc.com) In a month or 2.
May of next year would be better, but at least wait and give him time to finish up things for the current 13 Colonies Event.
NC won it last year as far and numbers go and I have a nice plaque for it.

Back