HO Alt options

JSEsterly

Ive got a 350 (86 burb) with the delco 7372-3 alt I believe a 74 volt? Alt.. I was hoping to be able to find a high"er" output alt to go along with the isolator I'm adding, but Advance Auto told me that the only upgrade I can do is to the 94 volt alt because Ive got A/C..:mad:

I want sep. batteries for #1 run the burb, #2 to run 8 aux lights, 2 amps, cb, 2 dvd players, and a winch, just dont think my 70's volt alt is enough :lol: but nothing available for a 350 with A/C over 94 volts? Only reason I could think was a clearence issue.. the alt being to big to fit with the compressor..

Any thoughts?

Go large case.. getting a smaller alt. re-wound for higher AMPERAGE (not voltage) just builds more heat within the alt.

They didn't have the bigger alternators back then because there wasn't too much power-sucking stuff in vehicles..

I swear I remember a 105 amp one from a luxo-barge with a 350 from that era.. not sure anymore tho.

Honestly, your best bet is swapping in a large case alt.

Rich said:
Go large case.. getting a smaller alt. re-wound for higher AMPERAGE (not voltage) just builds more heat within the alt.
They didn't have the bigger alternators back then because there wasn't too much power-sucking stuff in vehicles..
I swear I remember a 105 amp one from a luxo-barge with a 350 from that era.. not sure anymore tho.
Honestly, your best bet is swapping in a large case alt.

Wrongo Rich. They did have them. Ambulances, Wreckers, delivery trucks all used the big case alternators.
I went with a one wire set up. I had to send it back once, since then no issues. If you build a small case, use one with the plastic type fan not the metal fan, they cool better.
Some Jeeps, all GM's and maybe others used a Delco Alternator. Basically the same Alternator with the exception of how it is clocked. I do believe that there are Alternators in the case that do have a higher output, but they would possibly need clocked to work right for your burb. Maybe even a shim or two. I am sure there is someone near you that knows how to do this. As far as the heat build up, any alternator will have a short life if you are always calling upon it to produce near maximum output. If the usage is intermittent, then you should be able to keep it alive.

I have this, 190 amp alt fits serpentine belt

I'm asking $175

PM or email blkvoodoo@sprynet.com

Kevin

Attachments

• 190amp1.gif
    190amp1.gif
    95.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 190amp3.gif
    190amp3.gif
    97.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 190amp2.gif
    190amp2.gif
    97.4 KB · Views: 306
upnover said:
any alternator will have a short life if you are always calling upon it to produce near maximum output. If the usage is intermittent, then you should be able to keep it alive.
Thats why I was thinkning the 94 amp wasnt big enough.. I ever plan on using the amp/winch/lights/dvd players all at the same time.. but I would like to be able to run the winch and lights if i need to. I isoloator will keep them seperate, but it will have to charge 2 batteries at the same time if Im using the winch and have the burb on.. too much for a 94 amp?

The winch will draw a good amount of power when at full pull. Depending on the winch maybe up to or more than, 500 amps. You can look at your spec sheet on your winch to see. It will draw it's power from the battery, not the alternator. The alternators job is to charge it back after it has had a power drain. I used to have an isolate on my Heep. One for Jeep, and one for the winch. I used a 60 amp and had little to zero problems. But, I didn't winch for long periods of time. Worse thing you can do to a winch is starve it for power.
I would think with a two battery set up and a 100ish amp alternator you would be fine. As long as you use your head.

upnover said:
Wrongo Rich. They did have them. Ambulances, Wreckers, delivery trucks all used the big case alternators.

Even back in '86? I looked and looked.. never saw a listing for one.. Oh well.. live and learn.

Rich said:
Even back in '86? I looked and looked.. never saw a listing for one.. Oh well.. live and learn.
Yeah, My Bro n law had a wrecker, an 84 modle it had one. When I was a milkman I drove a 85 GMC with a 366 bigblock, it also had one on it.

Back