I know nothing about ATVs/UTVs, what do I need?

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
I need something to do yard work around the house, and maybe play with a little too. My riding lawnmower isn’t getting the job done because to get it into the backyard, I have to push it because it just gets stuck going up the hill. I can get the push mower to the back yard to mow with, so whatever I get doesn’t have to be able to mow. I need it to pull my wagon full of firewood, pull an aerator, and other general duties like that.
So I want electric start, 4WD, and seating for two. It must be less than 5 feet wide, because that is how wide my gate is to the backyard. I don’t want to break the bank, so I doubt I will buy new.
So what do y’all recommend?

Whatever the cheapest Honda atv is that meets your requirements. Any of them will fit through a 5ft gate and pull what you need. Most will "seat" 2, though I think CanAm is the only one that has a true 2 seat ATV. The Honda will be the most trouble free.

Well...i had a perfect solution till you said seating for 2 :cool:

20171020_121606.jpg

Hell, it was cheaper than any NEW sxs/utv and cheaper than the used ones that weren't junk

If you want the cheapest, I'd get an older Honda. Most of the 90s-early 2000s ones are all time 4wd. Yamaha is the next option, for me, but they seem to be more finicky to the shitty gas these days.

Next step up, cost wise IMO, or if 2 actual seats are required, would be a Yamaha Rhino. They can be found for what a newer atv costs. The bed might eliminate many needs for the wagon too.

Both of these will be decent at double duty, with utility being primary. Some atvs/utvs will be better on the trails but typically lack at the utility part.

Honda Rancher 420

even the 2wd can get lots of work done. Even with no power steering, they are easy to handle. I'd go with a 2wd and put a harbor freight winch on it.

Check out a TX Gator if you strictly want it for utility. If you want to ride it on the trails, try an XUV series Gator. If you still need more sport, go with what Ben said and try a Rhino or one of the other brand SXS's.

Kawasaki mule 610, base model, seats 2, 4wd, locking rear, dump bed, less than 5 feet wide, and more versatile than a 4 wheeler. They use a 1 cylinder Kholer and parts are plentiful and cheap. I bought 2 for $1000, put all the good parts on 1 and sold the other for $800.

If you get an atv for yard use make sure it doesn't have real aggressive tires. My grizzly doesn't tear up the yard but my wife's will throw chunks of grass just putting around the yard. Both are the same bike but hers has some real aggressive tread.

Late 90's - Early 2000's Honda Foreman S.

You'll find more ES models for sale, but hold out for the manual shift model and hardly ever lift a wrench on it.

For a sxs, it's tough to beat the early Rhino's for the money.

Rhino's are more than 60" wide. Id go with the Honda foreman 450S, 02-04 will get you in/out 4x4. Brakes suck most of the time but the disc brake kit is easy and fairly cheap at $250. My second choice would be 93-00 Honda Trx300 4x4. For a side by side the Honda pioneer 500 is nice utility type thats less than 60" wide.

I vote Honda 300 fourtrax. Most bulletproof ATV ever made! And I just happen to have one for sale :beer:

97 runs great,Honda 300 fourtrax 4x4
$1850

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_125116498.jpg
    IMG_20171215_125116498.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 296
Keep an eye on the NC ATV related groups on FB if you do the facespace thing. There is cheap shit getting sold on the marketplace all the time. Got a buddy that has been buying about one quad a week off there or CList, fixing what little is needed, cleaning it up and flipping it. You could just get one, put a little elbow grease into it and have a good quad for little money.

That one MadCow is selling would be perfect.

my son has a 2002 Honda 350 rancher foot shift (all time 4wd) what a great reliable machine.
we dont use it for much work but when we do it pulls the trailers great. Such a reliable machine and we ride alot. Also a solid axle ATV wont squat with trailer weight like IRS.

I ride a sportsman 850xp. It's great for going fast and doing wheelies and just about unstoppable but not too good for work....too much power, and too big.

I know a guy with a 89 fourtrax 300 4x4, low mileage/hrs for sale and I think he is in the concord area. I used to have one and was considering buying this one. They run forever and almost zero maintenance. I can get his info if you want.

I know a guy with a 89 fourtrax 300 4x4, low mileage/hrs for sale and I think he is in the concord area. I used to have one and was considering buying this one. They run forever and almost zero maintenance. I can get his info if you want.
That’s probably older than I want.

Since he ain't interested, how much?

Since he ain't interested, how much?

I'll see what I can get for info tonight and post back up or pm you. He was going through the carb and flushing the tank, changing oil etc, last week when I talked to him(sat for about a year), and said it was in real good shape.

More questions, specifically on Honda’s:
What is the difference between a Rancher and a Foreman and a Recon?
Do the 2wd models have locking rear diffs? Or if not, can you install one?

As far as I know, every Honda ATV since the 1970s is a spool in the rear. Only the 2014+ Foreman's have a selectable front differential lock. Prior to that, they used a brake actuated front diff lock. The difference between the three is the Recon is always a 4x2 with a sub-300cc engine, the Rancher is a 350-420cc engine (depending upon year) and 4x4 or 4x2, while the Foreman is a 450-500cc engine (also dependant upon year) and 4x4 or 4x2. All of these models vary between manual or electronic shift, some even have an automatic mode. "S" is manual, "ES" is electronic, "ESP" is the electronic with the automatic mode. Both the Rancher and Foreman have independent rear suspension versions available, but typically are solid rear axles.

Thank you @maulcruiser .

I just went and looked at new ones for fun. Now I need to research Can-Am. From what I saw, the Outlander was really nice, and seemed that it would more easily seat 2 than the Honda.

if your going to have to seat two, just get a SXS.
Seriously, riding with someone on the back usually sucks.

Back