I think I need a bigger winch and a better arborist

Cut replant.....odds are it going to die and most definitely cost as much as a fairly mature tree ready for transplant. Prepping the ground and it actually rerooting are half your worries.

How do you go about compacting the soil for good adhesion? Maybe not the best way to put it. But without seriously burying the trunk or miraculously moving a great deal of intact mass it will blow over.

Sometimes whole mature trees with massive root balls go splat............

Air craft cable guide wires for years to get that size to resettle.
I posted most of what was said......sorry carry on humping the tree.

I got a chainsaw if you need help deciding. I cut and run. You want have to look.

Or just build your house the other direction...
Or go ahead and embrace your true hippie tree-loving self and incorporate the tree into the house.

Looks easy enough to me..........and this guy probably did it with a shovel too. You got this!

IMG_5231-768x1024.jpg

Looks easy enough to me..........and this guy probably did it with a shovel too. You got this!

View attachment 252170
Finally, someone who understands what I'm saying! Thats roughly the size I'm thinking too, 10ft diameter, 4ft deep. Dig a channel, push/drag it 20ft. Fill dirt in around it. 10ftx4ft weighs over 30k pounds, so its not going to blow over if the dirt stays intact.

If it is a red oak, can't tell from the pictures, it's not worth moving, even if you move and it lives for a little while

Southern Red Oak Blight is real and killing Red Oaks all over the southeast, takes big money to save these trees, and sometimes it's still not enough

If it is a red oak, can't tell from the pictures, it's not worth moving, even if you move and it lives for a little while

Southern Red Oak Blight is real and killing Red Oaks all over the southeast, takes big money to save these trees, and sometimes it's still not enough

I think I would sell my house if the red oak in my back yard died. No idea how old it is but it's a monster this pic is from several years ago.
1126141711.jpg

What you need is 3-4 dozen mexicans with shovels, 10 cases of Corona, and a taco truck.

Be done in one day!

So what about the tap root though. Don't oaks have a big long one? I could be wrong. I'd think that would be the hardest thing to box around.
Unless maybe you dig your wide trench, wrap up the root ball like that guy, and then dig an extra deep trench right in the center of the wider trench for the tap root to slide in?

btw when the time comes, you need to be sure to drag it using a Tundra so you can simulate that commercial of them moving the space shuttle

So what about the tap root though. Don't oaks have a big long one? I could be wrong. I'd think that would be the hardest thing to box around.
Unless maybe you dig your wide trench, wrap up the root ball like that guy, and then dig an extra deep trench right in the center of the wider trench for the tap root to slide in?
Tap roots on oaks are pretty shallow (typically 20-50cm according to the article that @Lizooki posted here I think I need a bigger winch and a better arborist), and there are several of them, and they will regenerate if damaged. Pine's have a crazy long taproot, but hardwoods not so much, especially not oak and maple.

btw when the time comes, you need to be sure to drag it using a Tundra so you can simulate that commercial of them moving the space shuttle
I was gonna use my mom's VW Touareg TDI, but VW bought it back last week...

No tap root

There are few species with a "true" tap root.

Most of which arre indigenous to very sandy soils...where they evolved and need a long tap root to get down to a water table in a quick perk soil.

The most notable example is the longleaf pine. That grows for 7 years in a "grass stage" where it truly looks like a sprig of grass, all the while a tap root can be 25' deep then they explode upwards and become the tallest of the eastern Pine Species.

Which from an evolution standpoint makes sense. Pine trees are narrow and tall. VS Oak (large generalization coming) which while tall also have a much wider crown or canopy. This wider top necessitates a wider root mass to stay anchored.

what Matt is going to find is that when he moves this oak tree it is going to stress it. As a biological response that tree is going to produce a shit ton of acorns. If its a white oak family (I cant remember if we have identified this tree ) next year ther will be acorns everywhere. If its a red oak family in 2 years there will be acorns everywhere. Everywhere. He will grow to hate that tree when he cuts grass

Looking at All the trees that fall during storms, & the ones I've seen pushed over during land clearing, nearly all of the roots are only a couple feet deep. Makes you Wonder How they Do stand?

As a biological response that tree is going to produce a shit ton of acorns.

So, he can shoot deer off his back deck.

Matt

Post up a close up pic of a couple of leaves so we can identify it exactly.
upload_2017-8-15_9-39-2.png

Here's a couple. I think its Quercus Falcata, but I'm no tree expert.

Southern Red Oak - Quercus Falcata
That's most likely it.

Terminal bud and barkcould confirm, but Id say 98%+ thats a SRO

Back