I think I need a bigger winch and a better arborist

Definitely a red oak, do what you want

I would not spend the time or effort or money to move that tree

Buy a smaller tree, plant it where you want it, watch it grow and take care of it
So what is the blight that is affecting them? I googled, but couldn't find anything conclusive, probably because I don't know what I'm looking for.

So what is the blight that is affecting them? I googled, but couldn't find anything conclusive, probably because I don't know what I'm looking for.
Oak Wilt Is it oak wilt or oak anthracnose? : Trees and Woodlands : University of Minnesota Extension
Yes I concur SRO.
If its going to cost you a good bit of money for equipment rental, then I would not do it. If you can do it with what you have, then what do you have to lose but your time? The pic of the bvurlapped Magnolia that was posted is a good example of ho to do it.

It is what they call an oak wilt, unfortunately it is affecting red oaks a lot more than any others, hence the term southern red oak blight

Lichen is a host to anthracnose, look for lichen on branches, but most times the trees hold there brown leaves longer in the winter and do not push out new growth, so it's hard to tell if a tree has it or not

It is what they call an oak wilt, unfortunately it is affecting red oaks a lot more than any others, hence the term southern red oak blight

Lichen is a host to anthracnose, look for lichen on branches, but most times the trees hold there brown leaves longer in the winter and do not push out new growth, so it's hard to tell if a tree has it or not

Facts are over rated you Smartass.

If you can do it with what you have, then what do you have to lose but your time?
That's basically where I'm at with my thoughts. I'm gonna kill it for sure if I just cut it down. I have the resources to move it, so worst case scenario, I lose a weekend and the tree eventually dies. Best case scenario it goes well and the tree looks great and is massive in 50 years.

Plus it helps justify my excavator purchase to the wife.:driver::rockon:

Let me know when the move date is, it's worth a drive to watch and help

I'm betting you have a smaller one that would be much easier to move on your property. Other than that, good luck!

Red oak makes nice hardwood flooring
My red oak stockpile is pretty well covered right now:
upload_2017-8-16_14-26-37.png

upload_2017-8-16_14-27-43.png

Last edited:
Back