Jeep Crane

McCracken

Logan Can't See This
Anybody done this? I've got a few heavy items that I need moved around. The tractor with the front end loader is in NC. The biggest item is my air compressor. It's stupid heavy and took 5 moving guys to maneuver it out of the truck. My initial thought was something like this:

But then I saw this. It's like a cherry picker for the front bumper.

Worst case I break something I need. The upside is I have another tool to use around the house. Has anyone here tried something like this? Anything I need to watch for or avoid like the plague?

I built one a few years ago (pre-tractor forks and gantry crane) for my CJ-5. Had to cut a couple of 4x4 blocks to go between the leaf spring/axle and frame to keep it from sinking way down.

Here it is: Jeep Crane

BTW, I sure as heck wouldn't sell mine, for liability reasons....BUT, there is an assortment of steel in my scrap pile that looks suspiciously like what you see in the pics, and could be sold for scrap...

I built one like pictured on the jeep on my old cab truck for moving large rocks at my old house.

A friend on mine has one, it was a bed mounted crane, modified to use a 2" hitch. It didn't have very much capacity, may be 300lbs. Used it to skin pigs.

I'd be curious to see one that uses a winch.

I'd be curious to see one that uses a winch.

Mine does.....cable sheave/roller is built into the tip. Cable comes off winch, along top of main boom, over pulley sheave, and down to load.

CUSTOMSHEAVE-2.jpg

I have done it like the first pic. But, I used my winch running up to it with a snatch block. I moved an old Dodge crew cab body around with it.

I'd call United Rentals and have them drop off a baby Lull for a day.
1 day rentals with delivery and pickup are a bit steep. I checked on them when I set the beams for my carport last week and it was cheaper to hire a boom truck for 2hrs.

Back