Just another YJ build

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
I bought this 92 YJ Islander model off Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. It is stock except for the terrible shackles, 31" tires, and over head sound bar/stereo system. I narrowed my search down to 92-95 models to get the 4.0 motor and family roll bar. I initially wanted a TJ just to have a newer Jeep (more reliable), but decided to go with a YJ because the front spring spacing is the same as the D60HP I have leftover from parting out my old cab truck, so it will bolt right in. This build thread isn't going to start out with much excitement. I'm going to keep it stock for the near term to just get out on the trail and take my son four wheeling for the first time.

First up is to replace the one broken hood latch, chop down the ridiculously long shackles, and mount the XRC8 winch that I took off my Samurai. The transmission shifter is also fairly sloppy, so I ordered a shifter bushing kit.

Stock YJ shackles are 4" hole to hole. These things are 8.5"!!! Surprisingly, it actually drives OK, but is a little twitchy. I think I am going to move the spring bolts to the shortest holes (6-3/4" long), and cut the excess off. I did some quick math and figured these shackles rolled the front axle forward about 6 degrees. Stock caster for a YJ is 5-7 degrees, so it is probably at 0 degrees, +/-1 degree, LOL.

YJ Islander 1.jpg

YJ Islander 8.jpg

Front shackles.jpg

Perfect little uwharrie cruiser. What is going to happen with the Samurai?

That is the plan.

I still want to build the Samurai into a buggy, and hope to slowly start back on it sometime. The big hold up with that project was a shed/storage building/log cabin looking building I spent the past two years working on. The building is pretty much done though, and that is what allowed room in the garage for this Jeep. I need to make a decision on the motor for the Samurai so I can get moving with it.

I want a YJ so damn bad...not to build but to just tool around in

92-95 for the 4.0 as well but I'll ditch the family bar. Ideally red with the aluminum wheels, 5 speed, and tan interior.

@josh$$ found me one but damn it was rusted out

Following this build though...sounds cool

92-95 for the 4.0 as well but I'll ditch the family bar. Ideally red with the aluminum wheels, 5 speed, and tan interior.

@Jacob smith

I assume that is an auto? Looks good. I had a friend that had one of those but ti was teal....

I assume that is an auto? Looks good. I had a friend that had one of those but ti was teal....

Nope, this one is a 5spd.

There was a red one on Craigslist in VERY nice shape about a month ago. It was about 30-40 minutes West of W-S. I was texting the dude, and told him I thought his price of $5,600 was a bit high. The lowest he would go was $5,400. I told him I was thinking more like $4,500. It sold 2 days later, LOL.

What are you thinking on springs or lift? My yj is on a 4 inch RC. It is getting some axle love and I believe I'm going to stay spring under. Just not sure on keeping the springs I have.

Mine is intended to be a UNF killer....meaning modded enough to have fun and drive where ever I please on highway.

but decided to go with a YJ because the front spring spacing is the same as the D60HP I have leftover from parting out my old cab truck, so it will bolt right in. T
Please elaborate on axle......I was not aware of a non modified bolt up swap. I am assuming previous mods where made to achieve this spring spacing?

Please elaborate on axle......I was not aware of a non modified bolt up swap. I am assuming previous mods where made to achieve this spring spacing?

From what I have read, the YJ front spring spacing is 31". The 78-79 Ford HP Dana 60 axle is 31.5". Apparently it is close enough to bolt up if you open up/slot the perch holes a little.

From what I have read, the YJ front spring spacing is 31". The 78-79 Ford HP Dana 60 axle is 31.5". Apparently it is close enough to bolt up if you open up/slot the perch holes a little.
Holy moly! I never thunk it......I have a snowfighter chillin out here on the premises...never thought to measure. And a built up matching rear 60.
Must resist the cool aid, must resist....WHERE is my tape measure!

As a note all the swaps I have previously done on a CJ we out boarded the springs.....this is why I find this surprising.

What are you thinking on springs or lift? My yj is on a 4 inch RC. It is getting some axle love and I believe I'm going to stay spring under. Just not sure on keeping the springs I have.

Mine is intended to be a UNF killer....meaning modded enough to have fun and drive where ever I please on highway.

Lift will stay as-is for now with the long shackles, but I will probably shorten them up 2". This winter I will swap in my D60 and 14 bolt SPOA, but I'm going to try and raise the spring hangers and shackle points up to keep it low. I also plan to stretch the wheelbase some.

I've lurked or been active on 4x4 forums since '99 and this was something I always seemed to run across:

After many years of wheeling starting out in a YJ and going through many Jeeps and then to buggies and competing I decided to build something simple again

And that's honestly why I doubt I will EVER go tons. I ENJOY simple as well as continually learn how to drive better, than just "tire-up" and roll over everything. To see so many builds that grow and grow, to the point of HAVING to trailer it....just doesn't appeal to me.

I've lurked or been active on 4x4 forums since '99 and this was something I always seemed to run across:

And that's honestly why I doubt I will EVER go tons. I ENJOY simple as well as continually learn how to drive better, than just "tire-up" and roll over everything. To see so many builds that grow and grow, to the point of HAVING to trailer it....just doesn't appeal to me.
*Clears throat* dude.... I drove a TJ buggy on tons and 42s on the Rd all the time. 80-90mph interstate not giving a fawk. I'll drive Steampunk. But... If I plan on bonzaiing it somewhere in Aladamnbama shitfaced drunk on Saturday night, I'll be damned if I stay up all night fixing it to drive back home Sunday.

It can happen on a 8.8 and 30 on 33's, just gotta add the right amount of alcohol.

*Clears throat* dude.... I drove a TJ buggy on tons and 42s on the Rd all the time. 80-90mph interstate not giving a fawk. I'll drive Steampunk. But... If I plan on bonzaiing it somewhere in Aladamnbama shitfaced drunk on Saturday night, I'll be damned if I stay up all night fixing it to drive back home Sunday.

It can happen on a 8.8 and 30 on 33's, just gotta add the right amount of alcohol.

Yep.

I'm with @Paul ...I've GOT to have a drink with you

Oh and we have Troy. The Warlock AKA as @XJsavage has been to my crib many times.
Fellowship and good times ensued.
:beer:

Dug out the winch, in-cab switch, and showed my son how to use a tap to clean up threads. The winch mounting plate I ordered will be here Tuesday.

IMG_20180616_070823153.jpg

Last edited:
Back