Kairos or GER

Looks like I will be checking out GER Saturday. It’s only about 3 hours away.
You won't be disappointed. Looking at these videos has me dying to get back. The trails are great, close together, and Bobby and Amy will take care of you. I got to get back. Seeing these vids have me itching.

Google maps says there's tolls on us-19 and hwy 77 entering VA. I'll be pulling my goose with two rigs on it, and a 100 gallon diesel tank. All properly secured, lights work, combined gvwr is less than 26k, actuall gross weight will be 24-25k. Should I expect any static at the toll booths?

No tolls on 77 into VA, I go to Wytheville regularly.

Google maps says there's tolls on us-19 and hwy 77 entering VA. I'll be pulling my goose with two rigs on it, and a 100 gallon diesel tank. All properly secured, lights work, combined gvwr is less than 26k, actuall gross weight will be 24-25k. Should I expect any static at the toll booths?

Tou shouldn’t have any issues at all. Pay and roll on. They usually charge me double whatever they are charging for cars so $1.50 at one and $5 at the other.

Tou shouldn’t have any issues at all. Pay and roll on. They usually charge me double whatever they are charging for cars so $1.50 at one and $5 at the other.
Or we blast thru the exact change booth and pay nothing :laughing:

Or we blast thru the exact change booth and pay nothing :laughing:

I may or may not have done this a few times. With it without a tag on my trailer. Once I was pulling someone’s else’s trailer, so not my problem :rockon:

I towed this up there a few weeks ago. I know I was right at or over 26k lbs.
I didn’t have my tag mounted to the trailer either. They didn’t care. Just asked for $.
7C1079C6-C21F-4117-B816-14A13EF7BD24.jpeg

Can’t wait to hear what you think. Be sure you hit Cripple Creek! And follow it allll the way up. It will look like it ends at one point, but there’s one more good V notch ledge up at the real end. All the other exits are just early places to wimp out lol.

Already home so I'll give a small report with minimal pics because I was mostly tail gunner (and tend to leave my phone in the truck so I don't lose it.)

Clubbs' Jeep and his friend BJ's 4runner

20210618_182034.jpg

Started off with a brief conversation between Clubbs and I about where to start which was pretty much him asking where I wanted to go, to which I replied "I dunno, I've never been here!" to which his response was "Us either, let's go that way!" So off we went down a trail entrance from the campground, Clubbs leading our little group of misfits, BJ, then myself. After going down and down and down some more, we hung a right and went a ways until Clubbs found a red arrow pointing up a hill and figured that would be a good place to start. Our best guess from the map was we were at Chadillac Hill. Walking up to watch I noticed as Clubbs was trying to maneuver around a rock that both of his front tires weren't pulling. "Hey are you locked in the front?" I ask. "No, it's still open...." was his reply. Nevertheless, he made easy work of the obstacle and pulled up some to spot BJ. As I pulled my rig up some more to be ready when BJ cleared, I took this pic.

20210618_095229.jpg

BJ, however, wasn't making as quick of work as Clubbs did, so I walk back up to notice two of his four tires doing their best to propel his 4runner up the loose rock, but it was for naught. Thus, some cable was pulled.

20210618_100955.jpg

That was my last pic, so you'll have to use your imagination from here out until Clubbs can upload the pics and vids they took. Apparently, the winch on BJ's 4runner decided it wanted to be on vacation too, and wasn't up to the task of freeing him from his predicament. So I pulled up close and ran my winch line past him to the snatch block and winched him to where all four tires had a better handle on things. This is when Clubbs informs us that not too much further we would be in a gully with sides as tall as his Jeep, with only one or two questionable lines of exit. We all proceed up into said gully to find he wasn't exaggerating. We discussed the options and decided on the far-right line, which was a tight fit for a full width Dana 60 with 42's. But after excellent positioning Clubbs again made it look easy. BJ lined up and made a good effort at the same line, but being open on each end we knew the cable would again be called upon. Then it was my turn. I tried the same line, went head to head with the tree two or three times before getting where I thought was close enough, then applied liberal amounts of throttle with minimal regard for the consequences.

We then proceeded up the rest of Chadillac (we think,) Clubbs in the lead, BJ spinning tires and slinging rocks but getting it done, and me enjoying the show. BJ had to be tugged once, but did a great job. We came out near the cabins and it was close to lunch time, so back to camp for some vittles. Bobby stopped by and offered to take us to Cripple Creek since it is so highly recommended by y'all. We get down to the entrance, and Bobby and Clubbs are talking when I hear Bobby say "You're open in the front? Let's take a walk up here first." So we walk back up the connector trail, then down into Cripple Creek and back to the trucks. Bobby says "I'm not telling you not to do it, but I'm saying I wouldn't if I were you." We heed his advice, and ask which trails would be more suitable for the rigs. He points us to Ice Cream Hill, where Clubbs does the first part with minimal issue, but BJ just couldn't maintain enough momentum to overcome the lack of traction aids. It was at this point the decision was made to stick to easier trails and work our way over to the Honey Hole. We get there in time to watch a few others play around, then Clubbs picks a nice line and makes it look easy, going out a back exit of the Honey Hole and circling back around.

We then head back to camp and again opt to drop into the trail system, but where we thought we were going and where we ended up rarely matched, so eventually it turned into a "where's that trail go?" "Hell-if-I-know, let's find out!" We rode up hills, down hills, side hills, found some mud, found something that looks like it was trying to be a trail and Bobby didn't stop us when we went that way so maybe it was? Go fish. We eventually ended up near Leo's Den, then came out of the trails for some supper.

Clubbs cooked some excellent fajita's, BJ made some burgers, a good time was had, and a decision was made to pack up and head down to Kairos in the AM.

The AM revealed clouds with off again and on again drizzle, so I elected to skip the second park and enjoy a leisurely ride home, ensuring I would be home in plenty of time to satisfy my wife's "you better be home Sunday in time for our Father's Day cookout!" stipulation to me being gone on said celebratory weekend.

Clubbs' and BJ's kids took some pics and vids, stand by for those and their side of the story lol.

Duane

Duane pretty much covered the events at the ranch. We had a great time and the stories and reputation of the place that I've read about from other forum members holds up. Bobby and Amy are great people and really go all out to make sure you have a good time. Great trails, something for every style of rig and plenty to do.

Chadalack hill was probably the hardest thing we did with our company and it was a good time. Jeep was making familiar fan in the shroud noises again - weird... Here's Duane making easy work of the exit... Although the tree has some scars on it.
IMG_20210618_110358545_HDR.jpg

On way up to the ranch I lost a trailer tire, picked up some spare Dana 60 shafts froms stuntman in Siler city and some tsl's for the 4 runner in some small town in VA. So needless to say our 8 hour ride extended to about 10-1/2 hours and we pulled into GER at about 11 pm. Duane positioned his megacab and turned on the led sun to help illuminate our camp site while BJ, 4 boys (the oldest is 14) and I setup tents.

The next morning I backed the jeep off the trailer to find the brake booster apparently took a dump on the trailer ride there. It leaked bad enough that I had very little brakes and since it was pulling so much air the 02 must have read lean so it dumped more fuel. It was like having two throttle pedals. Then when I lifted my foot off the brake it was like pulling the choke. So... No brakes - no problem we'll just go up all day. That worked pretty well and the ebrake came in handy a few times.

As Duane said we headed out Saturday morning for Kairos, but they had an Enduro race that weekend and wouldn't let us in so we headed to URE instead. That place was a zoo. Never seen it so packed. Managed to climb up a trail with the Cummins dragging the goose to one of those primitive campsites off the old forest roads. Did a little grading with the trailer beaver tail on the way up.

Unloaded the rigs and hit the trails. About half way in I lost site of BJ behind me so turned around to find him, and my rear axle walked it's way towards the front about 4 inches and Crunching sounds commenced. Broke the antiwrap bar somehow. Anyway, get the springs sort of flat and go find BJ. He's inverted a spring and shackle with similar crunchy noises from under the yota. We get his mess straighten back out and limp back to camp to weld the anti wrap back together. Storms are blowing in, were exhausted, haven't set up camp, it's 5:30 and 94 degrees out. We say forget it, load the broken rigs and head home.

Welded the antiwrap back together yesterday. Seems I had only stitched the upper bar when I was setting it up and forgot to finish welding it... Oops. No idea how it held together at GER and a dinky URE trail did it in. Thinking it was all fixed I proceeded to climb trees in the front yard (neighbors love this stuff). Still had the horrible broken gear noises. More exploratory stunts and a bolt fell out. Suspicious... Apparently it fell out of the tcase mount on the way from the ranch to URE. Must have been loose at the ranch hence the fan to shroud noises on Chadalack. So I'm optimistic that once I bolt the tcase back down the drivetrain will stop rolling over. I think it's rolling far enough that it's partially shifting the tcase to neutral. Hopefully I haven't knocked any teeth out of the Dana 300.

Overall for the first ride on the cj since the one ton swap I'm happy with it. Needs an antiwrap bar up front too, a front locker, and some loctite.

The boys got some videos - probably shaky ones, but I'll see if I can get any good ones to upload.

Great recommendation on the ranch. I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for this forum. Great meeting @CLRracer too.

Dave

Duane pretty much covered the events at the ranch. We had a great time and the stories and reputation of the place that I've read about from other forum members holds up. Bobby and Amy are great people and really go all out to make sure you have a good time. Great trails, something for every style of rig and plenty to do.

Chadalack hill was probably the hardest thing we did with our company and it was a good time. Jeep was making familiar fan in the shroud noises again - weird... Here's Duane making easy work of the exit... Although the tree has some scars on it.
View attachment 350154

On way up to the ranch I lost a trailer tire, picked up some spare Dana 60 shafts froms stuntman in Siler city and some tsl's for the 4 runner in some small town in VA. So needless to say our 8 hour ride extended to about 10-1/2 hours and we pulled into GER at about 11 pm. Duane positioned his megacab and turned on the led sun to help illuminate our camp site while BJ, 4 boys (the oldest is 14) and I setup tents.

The next morning I backed the jeep off the trailer to find the brake booster apparently took a dump on the trailer ride there. It leaked bad enough that I had very little brakes and since it was pulling so much air the 02 must have read lean so it dumped more fuel. It was like having two throttle pedals. Then when I lifted my foot off the brake it was like pulling the choke. So... No brakes - no problem we'll just go up all day. That worked pretty well and the ebrake came in handy a few times.

As Duane said we headed out Saturday morning for Kairos, but they had an Enduro race that weekend and wouldn't let us in so we headed to URE instead. That place was a zoo. Never seen it so packed. Managed to climb up a trail with the Cummins dragging the goose to one of those primitive campsites off the old forest roads. Did a little grading with the trailer beaver tail on the way up.

Unloaded the rigs and hit the trails. About half way in I lost site of BJ behind me so turned around to find him, and my rear axle walked it's way towards the front about 4 inches and Crunching sounds commenced. Broke the antiwrap bar somehow. Anyway, get the springs sort of flat and go find BJ. He's inverted a spring and shackle with similar crunchy noises from under the yota. We get his mess straighten back out and limp back to camp to weld the anti wrap back together. Storms are blowing in, were exhausted, haven't set up camp, it's 5:30 and 94 degrees out. We say forget it, load the broken rigs and head home.

Welded the antiwrap back together yesterday. Seems I had only stitched the upper bar when I was setting it up and forgot to finish welding it... Oops. No idea how it held together at GER and a dinky URE trail did it in. Thinking it was all fixed I proceeded to climb trees in the front yard (neighbors love this stuff). Still had the horrible broken gear noises. More exploratory stunts and a bolt fell out. Suspicious... Apparently it fell out of the tcase mount on the way from the ranch to URE. Must have been loose at the ranch hence the fan to shroud noises on Chadalack. So I'm optimistic that once I bolt the tcase back down the drivetrain will stop rolling over. I think it's rolling far enough that it's partially shifting the tcase to neutral. Hopefully I haven't knocked any teeth out of the Dana 300.

Overall for the first ride on the cj since the one ton swap I'm happy with it. Needs an antiwrap bar up front too, a front locker, and some loctite.

The boys got some videos - probably shaky ones, but I'll see if I can get any good ones to upload.

Great recommendation on the ranch. I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for this forum. Great meeting @CLRracer too.

Dave
I can’t believe you left the ranch to go to Karios or ure but glad you had a good time.

Maaan... Hope y'all picked up all the white claws that bounced out the back as you came out of chadalack hill 😎

I left some control arm paint on the rocks in cripple creek but my little TJ on 36's made short work of it

Last edited:
Wow. I can’t fathom the fuel spent to go all the way to The Ranch and leaving that to go to Kairos, and come all the way back and ride Uwharrie. At the end of the day, least you took some time off to get out. But wow. Just wow.

The ranch is 430 miles from my driveway to there's. URE added 50 miles to the return trip so not that far out of the way. And it's what the boys wanted to do so off we went.

I put 100 gallons of diesel in the transfer tank before we left and filled the truck. Ran the speed limit or 5 over pretty much the entire trip. I filled up the truck again from the transfer tank when I got home. It's got to be about dry now, but I didn't think it would carry us as far as it did. Total trip distance was a little more than 900 miles with some detours to pick up parts and tires. Probably went through 120 gallons of fuel.

All in we didn't do any extreme trails, but got familiar with the ranch for next time. The boys had a great father's day weekend and we got out in the trails for a long weekend of comradery, wheeling, camping, and just plain fun.

On the wayView attachment 349784

About an hour into the trip, blew a trailer tire... YayView attachment 349785

Well...to be fair...those trailer tires are probably as old as I am! I could swear you told me they were the original bias ply tires that were on it when you got it. Cheap ass :D

Glad to see @CLRracer and @Clubbs meet each other! Glad to see Duane out and about and doing well also. I think I bought a non-AC small block Mopar off of Duane for my buddy's motor that he bought from Dave. Weird how that all fit together, but both of yall are great dudes! I might have to load up one of my trucks and try them out one day.

Well...to be fair...those trailer tires are probably as old as I am! I could swear you told me they were the original bias ply tires that were on it when you got it. Cheap ass :D

Glad to see @CLRracer and @Clubbs meet each other! Glad to see Duane out and about and doing well also. I think I bought a non-AC small block Mopar off of Duane for my buddy's motor that he bought from Dave. Weird how that all fit together, but both of yall are great dudes! I might have to load up one of my trucks and try them out one day.
I put 8 brand new tires on it last year. Should have left the old bias ply rubber on there... They don't make em like they used to

Oh shoot! Which ones did you go with?

Back