Killer Weldz Thread

Squirt gun.......better. Pics 3 and 4...Keep your toe lengths equal on the fillets. Unless it's thick to thin. Shear loads and strength will be better when equally proportioned. Pic 2 on round to flat center screen.... Whatch were the puddle rolls out laying over the edge instead of penetrating. Excessive gun angle or to slow of travel causes this.

Keep learning and hustlin. Here you landed a good gig.
Thanks. I'm learning a lot for sure. Its soooo nice to weld with a real welder..LMBO my little 110 feels like a kid toy now haha, couldn't even weld with it after a week here with this big machine (I know what's in my future want list)

This was super long down weld...getting a lot better at those I think...
0727171445.jpg

couldn't even weld with it after a week here with this big machine

You could never weld with that.

However, your welds look better "on the job".

This was super long down weld...getting a lot better at those I think...
View attachment 251282

Stop going up and down with your vertical down. Start your puddle, let it grow the start pulling down keeping the edges of your puddle parallel. A weld with a smooth surface is stronger than a dime on dime weld. Also if welding tanks you will have less leaks.

Thanks. I'm learning a lot for sure. Its soooo nice to weld with a real welder..LMBO my little 110 feels like a kid toy now haha, couldn't even weld with it after a week here with this big machine (I know what's in my future want list)

Pick up a cheap 220v stick welder for your home. That will help hone in your welding skills period. Trust me going from MIG to stick you'll hate your life :eek:

Stop going up and down with your vertical down. Start your puddle, let it grow the start pulling down keeping the edges of your puddle parallel. A weld with a smooth surface is stronger than a dime on dime weld. Also if welding tanks you will have less leaks.
lol, I usually do but with real long down welds and this stupid heavy freaking gun and some of the awkward positions I have to be in, it's the only way that not only me but almost all at the job do a lot of these long down welds. some of these tractor pieces are huge and no way to easily setup to weld em and the guns weighing around 20lbs REALLY SUCKS...everyone agrees on that!! (I wish a engineer would come and weld 10hrs a day like this with these ridiculous leads they design and I would bet a paycheck they would very very quickly go back to the "engineering board" lol) My hand cramps so bad for weeks now that I can't hardly get anything else done after work. They gave us all new leads today that are no lighter but the handles aren't "as bulky" so we'll see how that goes within a week or so.

lol, I usually do but with real long down welds and this stupid heavy freaking gun and some of the awkward positions I have to be in, it's the only way that not only me but almost all at the job do a lot of these long down welds. some of these tractor pieces are huge and no way to easily setup to weld em and the guns weighing around 20lbs REALLY SUCKS...everyone agrees on that!! (I wish a engineer would come and weld 10hrs a day like this with these ridiculous leads they design and I would bet a paycheck they would very very quickly go back to the "engineering board" lol) My hand cramps so bad for weeks now that I can't hardly get anything else done after work. They gave us all new leads today that are no lighter but the handles aren't "as bulky" so we'll see how that goes within a week or so.
Your heavy gun is a result of duty cycle and the voltage your opperating at. Its hard to say without knowing exactly what you are running if it's over kill. But trust me a light weight flexible gun would melt down spray arc welding in no time. It would get so hot you wouldn't want to hold it with your gloves on....

Your heavy gun is a result of duty cycle and the voltage your opperating at. Its hard to say without knowing exactly what you are running if it's over kill. But trust me a light weight flexible gun would melt down spray arc welding in no time. It would get so hot you wouldn't want to hold it with your gloves on....
I figured that but still, for full time long hours welders there's other ways I'm sure lol. Its only part that sucks about the job..oh well, as long as hands hold up it will be alright. I just know they are big 480v Miller welders

I figured that but still, for full time long hours welders there's other ways I'm sure lol. Its only part that sucks about the job..oh well, as long as hands hold up it will be alright. I just know they are big 480v Miller welders

It's the only way. I used to do structural steel fab for years in a shop and the guns are heavy for duty cycle and you just have to learn to get used to it.

At least you aren't arc gouging or stick welding gas pipe in the field. You'd wish to have that heavy gun in the shop any day if the week.

ugh.. you never learn. It's heavy due to weight. The wire liner, cable trigger controls and gas hose run through that big thing attached to the mig gun. throw that on your shoulder. turn your gun upside down. Keep your elbows close to your body not out in the air. The gun is not heavy, you are weak. Pull your big boy britches and make work what you have. To say you can't pull smoothly rather than up and down makes no sence. Your wasting energy going back up when going down. Been welding with that tweco for 23 years. Yes, you can do it.

ugh.. you never learn. It's heavy due to weight. The wire liner, cable trigger controls and gas hose run through that big thing attached to the mig gun. throw that on your shoulder. turn your gun upside down. Keep your elbows close to your body not out in the air. The gun is not heavy, you are weak. Pull your big boy britches and make work what you have. To say you can't pull smoothly rather than up and down makes no sence. Your wasting energy going back up when going down. Been welding with that tweco for 23 years. Yes, you can do it.
Ok ok ok lol, I got it haha. Its all good, new gun is just as heavy but thinner trigger handle and so far today was little better with it. Thanks

Jeff B hit on a good point. Shoulder some of that lead.

Why pick up 6 feet when you can hold up 3?

Put that weight on your back and only hold what's needed to get to the weld without a bind in the lead.

If your doing that already, great. If not stop being rookie and get to it Squirt Gun.:D

These are my last welds I've captured as I'm no longer a welder due to hand health issues..
0809170749.jpg
0811171056a.jpg 0809170750_Burst01.jpg 0810171321.jpg

well, that sucks. Seems you were doing well and learning a new trade. Hope you get better.
Yeah I actually just got let go on Tuesday..liability I guess. Doctors say without surgery I could damage my right hand tendents even worse, oh well it was cool for while.

Some sort of repetitive motion issue/injury?
Previous tendinitis was ok turning wrenches but holding the bigger gun steady for 9hrs just couldn't do it after 3months and damaged my palm to the point couldn't do anything hardly for first few hours of the day/no sleep. It got bad so had no choice but to stop doctors orders. Now its pretty good & healing slowly.

1116171302.jpg
For the students.
IMG_20171116_151308.jpg

Basic 6010 with backing. They ran some stuff, let's say sub par. I had to show them some real expectations. High Schoolers these days.....

Back