Killer Weldz Thread

what is your opinion of the Aspect units?? I am sorta on the fence. We use them for Stick welding as well. Definitely different..... I am a old school transformer welder except for all these bells and whistles that can make everyone look like a pro when applied correctly.

I would rather have my old squarewave 350 transformer machine for such a smooth arc on dc- but choosing between the inverter stuff,

I definitely prefer the aspect over the dynasty. Any day, easy choice.

Biggest things I’ve noticed is that the aspect high freq start is HOTTTT compared to older stuff. So tiny low amp starts are tedious.

As far as the dynasty350s we have, no two machines weld the same, despite having identical settings and setups on them. I’d hate to be buying one machine, and get a “bad” one. Several issues with them inside of 3 years that required major service.

All the aspects weld identical. I definitely prefer them. I like their DC- arc much better than the dynasty, but still 2nd to a transformer machine.

Ac, I like the aspect better than the dynasty.

I actually like the everlast AC arc better than the dynasty also.

And I don’t feel like trying to find/access the dynasty hidden settings. Screw that noise.

I hate all the Uber small collets and collet bodies and cups though. The threads are too small they just don’t last, I miss the larger size stuff for 90% of the work. The last 10% requires the small torch with a stubby stem cap for something silly.

Too often the collet body/stem threads are junk before their time.

I do like the quick connect fittings on the aspect over the Miller standard threaded stuff.

I would rather have my old squarewave 350 transformer machine for such a smooth arc on dc- but choosing between the inverter stuff,

I definitely prefer the aspect over the dynasty. Any day, easy choice. I own a dynasty 200, still prefer the syncrowave or older squarewave, the aspect wave shape choices are neat...I guess the old shop and mine have been good units however we had two very different personalty machines as well. Incredibly stupid.

Biggest things I’ve noticed is that the aspect high freq start is HOTTTT compared to older stuff. So tiny low amp starts are tedious. Aspect has a menu for tungsten selection and auto for amperage start currents. Have you tried that because it overrides the arc start function by default.

As far as the dynasty350s we have, no two machines weld the same, despite having identical settings and setups on them. I’d hate to be buying one machine, and get a “bad” one. Several issues with them inside of 3 years that required major service. See first response, really disappointing for a mass produced product.

All the aspects weld identical. I definitely prefer them. I like their DC- arc much better than the dynasty, but still 2nd to a transformer machine. The DC arc seem like static electricity to me, some Power MIG350 Mp machines we have weld smoother and start softer at all setting....could be because they have no AC.?.?.

Ac, I like the aspect better than the dynasty. Not sold here, maybe because mine is not broke yet. I do think the inner face is easier to use and teach. Simpler and graphically oriented.

I actually like the everlast AC arc better than the dynasty also. Need some arc time on one never used one.

And I don’t feel like trying to find/access the dynasty hidden settings. Screw that noise. I don't know much about them either, I would not mind to learn up....I new more about the machine then the salesmen who sold them to my old employer.

I hate all the Uber small collets and collet bodies and cups though. The threads are too small they just don’t last, I miss the larger size stuff for 90% of the work. The last 10% requires the small torch with a stubby stem cap for something silly. Aren't they the same as all the other universal water cooled stuff, they fit my dynasty. Most likely the difference between #20 and #18 water cooled torch. The water cooled id backwards, the #18 is a 350 amp unit but the same size as the #9 air cooled physically which is only 125 amp rated.

I do like the quick connect fittings on the aspect over the Miller standard threaded stuff.

I definitely prefer the aspect over the dynasty. Any day, easy choice. I own a dynasty 200, still prefer the syncrowave or older squarewave, the aspect wave shape choices are neat...I guess the old shop and mine have been good units however we had two very different personalty machines as well. Incredibly stupid.

Biggest things I’ve noticed is that the aspect high freq start is HOTTTT compared to older stuff. So tiny low amp starts are tedious. Aspect has a menu for tungsten selection and auto for amperage start currents. Have you tried that because it overrides the arc start function by default.

As far as the dynasty350s we have, no two machines weld the same, despite having identical settings and setups on them. I’d hate to be buying one machine, and get a “bad” one. Several issues with them inside of 3 years that required major service. See first response, really disappointing for a mass produced product.

All the aspects weld identical. I definitely prefer them. I like their DC- arc much better than the dynasty, but still 2nd to a transformer machine. The DC arc seem like static electricity to me, some Power MIG350 Mp machines we have weld smoother and start softer at all setting....could be because they have no AC.?.?.

Ac, I like the aspect better than the dynasty. Not sold here, maybe because mine is not broke yet. I do think the inner face is easier to use and teach. Simpler and graphically oriented.

I actually like the everlast AC arc better than the dynasty also. Need some arc time on one never used one.

And I don’t feel like trying to find/access the dynasty hidden settings. Screw that noise. I don't know much about them either, I would not mind to learn up....I new more about the machine then the salesmen who sold them to my old employer.

I hate all the Uber small collets and collet bodies and cups though. The threads are too small they just don’t last, I miss the larger size stuff for 90% of the work. The last 10% requires the small torch with a stubby stem cap for something silly. Aren't they the same as all the other universal water cooled stuff, they fit my dynasty. Most likely the difference between #20 and #18 water cooled torch. The water cooled id backwards, the #18 is a 350 amp unit but the same size as the #9 air cooled physically which is only 125 amp rated.

I do like the quick connect fittings on the aspect over the Miller standard threaded stuff.[/QUOTE] This is truly tits I absolutely love it.....all but students taking it loose when the machines is fired up and on GTAW. The water cooler is at least automatic when turned on. She will spray coolant but your not as likely to melt down a torch like the miller machines.

I tried to make my responses easier to read.

Last edited:
Did a reset on my welding cart today.

Got my new Everlast Powertig 250ex and w300 cooler in this week. I moved the miller diversion 165 to bench welding set up, along with the thermal dynamics plasma cutter. I put the millermatic 185 back on its own axles... I'm hooked on tig, I don't expect to use it near as much any longer...

Before pics ...

df614e184b867fe5b81240d15d25a772.jpg

a167de70b7a37f5961807b69fa69f988.jpg

After...

fc83c0348403425e2b03573ca48d1a54.jpg

e2767e99862df35f217ed6303dbc219a.jpg

2d63a07a9940dadbe538f7422d3e897e.jpg

50ee4a7ca8a2bb0599e9adcf9f84cae5.jpg

74a0a7ebf023441ea6f7c032ea8b4381.jpg

876b8452744e616d368d871a9ffc128f.jpg

Matt

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

@mcutler need some reviews on that machine.

A lot of students ask about it. Interested in what you think. I have watched all the big hitters on YouTube. I wanna here the thoughts of a real world self taught fabricator.

Last edited:
@mcutler need some reviews on that machine.

A lot of students ask about it. Interested in what you think. I have watched all the big hitters thought on YouTube. I wanna here the thoughts of a real world self taught fabricator.
Haven't done much yet. Did a little cover pass over root on Dave's cage, and made the filler storage plate on the cart. Welded steel as expected; nice, crisp, arc start at low voltage; nice arc at full pedal; slight arc flash at termination of arc- weird...
No complaint on welding, but haven't practiced any of the features yet. Biggest reason for this upgrade was for aluminum controls. The diversion did all I needed on steel- except excessive post flow, but now I can control that with the everlast.

Only thing I'm initially not crazy about as far as operation goes - initial gas thrust at touch of pedal - probably not an issue, but just want expecting that: very loud fans, on welder and cooler; constant run - not run on demand like the miller.

Initial impressions from ordering to putting into service... much of which had already been corroborated by online reviews:

Easy online ordering, terrible communication afterwards. Welder and cooler arrived quickly, but 25ft 20 series Roto head torch and gas lens kit won't ship until May - but I had to call to find that out...would have been nice to know that upon ordering.

Comes with a fixed head 18 torch on 12.5' leads with 2t/4t switch- I'll be adding a flex head to this torch.
Came with the SSC pedal- will take some getting used to over the small miller pedal- new pedal has a much longer throw than Miller's.
Easy to tell the manuals are translated from Chinese.
The hot return water line from torch is supposed to be red- cold feed to torch blue... labeled correctly on cooler and instructions done correctly, but plumbed wrong colors on torch-...smh.
Cheap ground clamp... but so did all 3 of my Miller's.
Im not sold on the hose selection from bottle to regulator; and not sure I like ball/ tube regulator; I'm just used to dial gauges after all these years.

I chose everlast to the great reports online from seasoned users and their warranty -5 yrs vs 2. I just couldn't justify the investment for Miller, even buying used race shop take outs at $3700; and many conflicting reports of quality of the dynasty line.

Everest had some issues prior to revamping their line in 2015, but seem to have ironed all that out... time will tell.

That said, had I not had a backup machine, I may have chosen otherwise...

I'll post more reports as use increases.

e3835addbe0024a6325c103bdbb33748.jpg

Matt

Im not sold on the hose selection from bottle to regulator; and not sure I like ball/ tube regulator; I'm just used to dial gauges after all these years.
This should be a flow meter. Known for saving gas over time. The woosh you described. Was this with a small cup? And at what flow?
A flow meter will actually let you know more accurately what's getting to the torch. You may find you can run softer settings from the previous regulator. However the sound is something I have catalogued as somewhat standard. Smaller cups combined with larger tungsten presents a siphon contamination issue from time to time. You may now be getting a much truer volume of shield gas.

The end arc flash may be a final slope or a type of crater fill. Most likely highly adjustable.

What tungsten do they ship it with? Assuming they include a starter pack type set up.

This should be a flow meter. Known for saving gas over time. The woosh you described. Was this with a small cup? And at what flow?
A flow meter will actually let you know more accurately what's getting to the torch. You may find you can run softer settings from the previous regulator. However the sound is something I have catalogued as somewhat standard. Smaller cups combined with larger tungsten presents a siphon contamination issue from time to time. You may now be getting a much truer volume of shield gas.

The end arc flash may be a final slope or a type of crater fill. Most likely highly adjustable.

What tungsten do they ship it with? Assuming they include a starter pack type set up.

25 cfm, ceramic fupa 12, 3/32 tungsten 2% lanthanated 100 amps 14 ga to .125. Sharp, shallow angle, longitudinal grind on tungsten with drill and belt sander on bench grinder - highly polished.

No tungsten supplied, but recommended no pure tungsten with inverters. Highly recommend lanthanated- so far I use, like and been using 2% lan from the beginning on steel; I like 2% ceriated on aluminum.

May just take some getting used on the whoosh, can actually see the hose contract (expel pressure thru valve) on pedal tap. That hose flex may be the culprit of the initial burst of gas...a stiffer hose may lessen that.

Last edited:
If you get a chance try Lanthanated. You may reduce your tungsten to one single variety.
I have a ton of 2% thoriated....It was free. I will never run out of it.

However it does deteriate over time and in AC creates its own issues with splitting.

I think I may try the highly polished sharpening. I wanna work on my lower current welding.

If you get a chance try Lanthanated. You may reduce your tungsten to one single variety.
I have a ton of 2% thoriated....It was free. I will never run out of it.

However it does deteriate over time and in AC creates its own issues with splitting.

I think I may try the highly polished sharpening. I wanna work on my lower current welding.
.... edit above.... lol.

That's what I've been using on steel. Not sure why I had thoriated on the brain.
4e263309753ece515b00884fa0de20da.jpg

Couple welds with the new green machine.

I'm not used to having so many more amps! The diversion maxed out at 165...

This is all 3/16 and 1/4, throwing some filler in there now...

This sucker will put some heat in, and I love a water cooler torch.

07d03ae5012db738feb7d597b0758141.jpg

e88934f47c75b7fa0a8ed1839faf20f7.jpg

Couple welds with the new green machine.

I'm not used to having so many more amps! The diversion maxed out at 165...

This is all 3/16 and 1/4, throwing some filler in there now...

This sucker will put some heat in, and I love a water cooler torch.

07d03ae5012db738feb7d597b0758141.jpg

e88934f47c75b7fa0a8ed1839faf20f7.jpg

What is that that you're welding? It looks like it could be the making of a subframe

It's the subframe on the jesse Haines/ Goatbuilt chassis I'm welding for Travis.

What is "Tig" welding?
And the fuse panel in yer MJ looks like ass.
Ha!

Easy online ordering, terrible communication afterwards. Welder and cooler arrived quickly, but 25ft 20 series Roto head torch and gas lens kit won't ship until May - but I had to call to find that out...would have been nice to know that upon ordering.

Give these guys a call, they will build you what ever you want for a torch. Excellent torches for the money.

MIG/TIG/Stick Welders & Plasma Cutters | USA Weld

.188-1.75 DOM to .250 2x4 rectangle tubing.

Everlast 250 ex, 160 amps, 1/16 er70s2 filler, 3/32 lanthanated, Furick fupa cup- 22 cfh, single pass on the tubing, dual hot pass/cover weave freehand on the 2x4.

dc841419784c773f6cf1e707c9cc95b8.jpg

Matt

Been practicing my verticle up. SMAW
FB_IMG_1562707640507.jpg

Finally making some real progress on my ally filets. We all know what chicken shit ally looks like... but who woulda thunk pedal pulsing on ally would have such nice results...

First is the obligatory chicken shit pass yesterday...

15579f4b825dbd1fefe6d8c97f3c7fa7.jpg

Second, I did today, starting to get a better feel...

24244d06fcdb8ff3c3d2d5ad6822b540.jpg

And my best and final run..

9b65e519917b28f44ef27de3b4d77569.jpg

These are baffles in a fuel cell, so thought it was as good a chance to practice technique.

.080, 3000 series, plasma cut oversize, trimmed up on band saw, filed, deburred, stainless brushed, acetone work and filler.

(First real go at thinner ally filet, previous work was mostly .125. I'm trying to be a better designer and make as many outside corners as possible. Could have weldered these outside, but felt I needed the practice...)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Finally making some real progress on my ally filets. We all know what chicken shit ally looks like... but who woulda thunk pedal pulsing on ally would have such nice results...

First is the obligatory chicken shit pass yesterday...

15579f4b825dbd1fefe6d8c97f3c7fa7.jpg

Second, I did today, starting to get a better feel...

24244d06fcdb8ff3c3d2d5ad6822b540.jpg

And my best and final run..

9b65e519917b28f44ef27de3b4d77569.jpg

These are baffles in a fuel cell, so thought it was as good a chance to practice technique.

.080, 3000 series, plasma cut oversize, trimmed up on band saw, filed, deburred, stainless brushed, acetone work and filler.

(First real go at thinner ally filet, previous work was mostly .125. I'm trying to be a better designer and make as many outside corners as possible. Could have weldered these outside, but felt I needed the practice...)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Running high hertz will help focus the puddle and allow for a tighter fillet....another trick is to run a tungsten that doesn't ball well and give it a rounded sharp tip. Just don't blunt the end by grinding straight into it. You will get arc wander like Stevies head singing.

Back